Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-11-07, 12:24 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Onnnee morreee queesstionnn...

for the next five minutes. Did cabela's and bass pro stop selling the Team Daiwa Advantage Baitcasting Reel. I can't find it on their website.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 06:23 AM   #2
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
for the next five minutes. Did cabela's and bass pro stop selling the Team Daiwa Advantage Baitcasting Reel. I can't find it on their website.

Jools, you alarmist you,
They are plainly listed in the "Reels" Section of the on-line Cabela's c'logue.
I did not see them on the BPS site but, then again, I did not seek with the aid of a fine-toothed comb.
It may be that BPS declines to carry or advertise them for any number of reasons. For instance, if other and more prolific outlets, such as Academy, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc, carry them then marketing saturation might be a factor.
The newest iteration of the reel, the 153HSTA, promises to be a winner in the "Wow! A great reel I can almost afford!" class and the new Megaforce, the second Daiwa reel to offer a twitching bar ala the Daiwa Viento, proves that the twitching bar concept has achieved acceptance (I like it on my Viento, when I remember to use it.) Sadly, though the Megaforce offers a 7:1 retrieve ratio, it will never find a home in my arsenal. Why? Well, once again obesity is the reason; It weighs 9.4 ounces and I refuse to use a reel that touches the 9 ounce barrier.
BTW, someone on some board griped that their new 153HST refused to make long casts despite all manner of fiddling with both cast control systems. The (possible) reason and (seeming) solution: For some reason some reels, "new in box", are afflicted with either insufficient or, more likely, OVER-lubrication OR gummed lube. This condition is relatively rare but I did have the same "cast reluctance" experience with my one 153HST (bought one for R&D purposes. Not likely to buy more although I like it well enough. Might try a 153HSTA though.)
I found that flushing the bearings with lighter fluid (NO smoking, please!) the LIGHTLY relubing with Hot Sauce (TM) solved the problem.
I don't know exactly why this phenomenom occurs. Maybe a reel sits idle, waiting for purchase and use, for so long that the lube somehow gets gooey. Hmmmm...not gonna spend much time all a-fret over that.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 06:32 AM   #3
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Jools,

Cabela's is discountinuing that reel I believe...we had a sale the 4th for 59 dollars for those reels and its ended....they are a nice reel....but I don't think they will be carrying them if they can help it in the future....we've been makin room for lots of stuff.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 06:53 AM   #4
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPACA View Post
Jools,

Cabela's is discountinuing that reel I believe...we had a sale the 4th for 59 dollars for those reels and its ended....they are a nice reel....but I don't think they will be carrying them if they can help it in the future....we've been makin room for lots of stuff.
BP,

Currently, Cabela's is offering the Advantage 150 series at 69.95. The 153HST is 139.95. The lefty version, 153HSTL, is on sale for 99.95.
Despite the fact that my one 153HST is not a favorite, if THEY were on sale for 59.95 or even 69.95, I'd suddenly own several more

FR
Old 07-11-07, 11:37 AM   #5
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Hmm. I'll have to check Cabela's today. Could this new TD-A be the reason?
http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwa2008reelpreview.html
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 12:25 PM   #6
Raul

The reel is discontinued from the Daiwa line-up, some retailers like Cabela´s still has them and they are selling them for pennies, Tackle Warehouse also has a sale on them but not as good as the one you see in Cabela´s. BPS stopped carrying them in late Oct.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 05:46 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah and i got 3 of them from cableas.. i like them THAT much..

zooker
Old 07-11-07, 07:31 PM   #8
weaverml34

Joolz,

Cabela's still carries them it's just not real obvious. Daiwa makes some of Cabela's branded reels, and Cabela's Prodigy reel is the TDA reel. Here's a link.

http://tackletour.com/reviewcabelas2007reelpreview.html
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 09:32 PM   #9
FlyRod

Lookie, guys,

Daiwa has just introduced the 153HSTA. Please, (oh faint hope,) distinguish betwixt the old and the new. PLEASE???

FR
Old 07-11-07, 09:34 PM   #10
BPACA

See I knew we were getting rid of them.....they have been discontinued....new stuff is comming out and we've got to make room...
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.