Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-10, 12:06 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Field & Stream Tech Spec rods

Saw these in the Dicks catalog last night.....This style is really catching on,lol..They have a great price for those on a tight budget...Both in spinning and casting..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...291514.2291515
Old 03-12-10, 02:19 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Interesting. I wonder if the local Dick's would have them (ours has a horrible selection of fishing stuff).

Anybody know who's making them for F&S?

BB
Old 03-12-10, 03:16 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if the local Dick's would have them (ours has a horrible selection of fishing stuff).

Anybody know who's making them for F&S?

BB
Im not sure who's making them..I know they had a good varity of lengths,weights,etc for the same price......Dick's exclusive no doubt.
Fuji Hardloy guides too.....Thats all I can remember from the ad.

But Ive always heard pretty good thing about these rods...Maybe someone can shed a little light on them
Old 03-12-10, 05:49 PM   #4
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

EVA split grip foam grip and metallic luster makes it look similar to a Daiwa Steez.

Making it much easier for people to try to steal

But still make you look like you are loaded with money
Old 03-12-10, 06:19 PM   #5
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I got two of them at the Classic Expo and have Citica's on them both. One is setup for Traps and the other for Spinnerbait. They Cast fine and have great feel on the retrieve.

For a $60 rod can't complain.
Old 03-13-10, 06:34 PM   #6
Cavs1123

I was checking them out too waffle. They look almost like the shimano cumara. What else really surprised me was that it had a full contact reel seat. I am going to check them out at the local dicks and may possibly get one. Cant complain about the price either
Old 10-10-11, 02:59 PM   #7
Ca_Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

I know this is an older post but I wanted to comment on the tech spec rods. For this price, I don't think there is a better rod available. Right not I only have the flipping stick and I'm very impressed with it. I have rods ranging from the tech spec to some lommis rods and a steez. I picked the tech spec up as a bit of an impulse purchase....and also because my son stuck my flipping stick in the fan and broke the tip and I didn't like the way it felt after I repaired it. Didn't really think having a steez or zillion flipping stick made a ton of sense for me as the lake I currently fish the most doesn't have many place to flip and most flippin most bites come with very little line out and I usually am flipping with braid so those two factors kinda eliminate what it lacks in sensitivity (and it's really not horrible in that department either). I was checking out their dropshot/shakey head rod and their spinner/worm spinning rods as I am completely unimpressed with my abu vendetta and the tech specs seem to be much more sensitive than the abu vendettas. Still will probably use my team daiwa tdx dropshot rod mostly but when I'm dropshotting in really deep water I prefer a spinning rod and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a rod I won't use much. Also nice to have a extra spinning rod when I take friends or family out and don't have to worry about them breaking one of my $200 rods but also giving them something better to use than a ugly stick.
Ca_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 07:03 PM   #8
Fish30114

Have had two, a split grip spinning and a casting rod. HAD being the key word. The spinning rig died twice, first time whiled fishing, the screw down 'ring' split and my reel started flopping around--Dicks was very good about replacing it johnny on the spot. The next issue, the butt cap portion of the split grip fell off, yep just fell off--that was it for me. The casting rod seemed OK, but I started losing massive amount of distance when casting. Thought reel first, but when putting the rod into the truck that night, notice a vertical split in the blank, ran through about three eyes raps--under them I suppose, and I called that the end of my Tech Spec rod trials.

These rods don't even enter the realm of a Shimano Cumars BTW.

I think at the price point of 60-70 bucks you are way ahead with a St Croix triumph, which they also carry at dicks. Just my experience, but underwhelmed would sum it up for me in one word.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 07:44 PM   #9
bassboogieman

I prefer a higher quality rod. When I started fishing I bought rods from Dick's and Sports Authority, didn't know any better. Over the years I moved on to better and better equipment, as I learned the difference. I could have saved some money if I had bought quality in the beginning, rather than going through upgrades on a 2 - 3 year basis.

Probably the worst thing I ever did was have a custom rod built by this dude in Texas. If I was still working I would most likely embark on an entire new SET of rods.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 07:58 PM   #10
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If thats the style that you are looking for, I would spend just a we bit more and move up to the BPS carbon light rods. I have held the F&S rods before, and from what I remember they still felt a bit heavy. Not that I was in the market for a rod at the time, however.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.