Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 05-14-05, 11:29 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default spear fishing

Any body here spear fish? I just went today and even though some thing kinda sucked and went against us(particularly stupid people), I am addicted to it and can't wait to go again.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 10:06 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: spear fishing

saltwater right? do you use scuba gear? i know a person that spear fishes, she does it in the keys. its pretty interesting.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 10:21 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

No scuba gear. I can dive about 40' just on a snorkel. Ok, you got me going so I might as well tell the story.
Went yesterday at 5AM with my friend. Got to the site we were gonna dive, a sunken barge about 20' down. Now 4 year ago they put a whole bunch of new sand on the beach to make it larger. When charley came along it sucked out all the new sand and covered up the barge almost completely... huge disappointment.
Then we decide to go to 3rd pier reef, about 3/4 mile down the beach. We passed first pier, and my friend and I decided to dive it while his dad was on the beach. We went under and were pleased to see a bunch of sea life, but we only got one sheepshead off that pier. Then we saw aout 4 BIG snook swimming around, but you can't spear them of course.
We the dived 2nd pier... TONS of sea life. The end of the pier is at least 25ft deep, we got a sheepshead, but once we dove down to the deep part, we said "screw spearfishing." There were schools of HUGE snook COVERING the bottom. The smallest ones were in the "giant" range, while the largest ones fell into the "beheamoth" category. We paddled into shore because we had to go through a swim area to get our tackle( we were in a Zodiac.) Then the life guard told us we couldn't take a boat throught the swim area... wanted to strangle him. SO we ended up having to go and we spent the rest of the day at a state park.

For any of you unfamiliar with some of the terminology,

Zodiac:
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-05, 01:47 PM   #4
southern_1

hey Hala popr
I do heaps of diving down in oz land I live on the east coast about 2 hrs north of sydney and we are pretty spoilt here as there are plenty of excelent places to dive. for example if its a shore dive you can just drive to the location and within minutes you are diving with huge groper eels small sharks colourful spunge gardens. and our boat dives are off islands or the odd shipwreck. when we go spearfishing we only take what we need and going to use and yeeeep I know what you mean when you said you are addicted to it.

ENJOY THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Old 05-16-05, 05:12 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Wow! You are friends with Bobby Cox! ;D

Thats a hell of a snook btw.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.