Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-30-06, 07:37 PM   #1
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass on hot dogs

I supervised several kids fishing a small man-made pond at a relative's house on Memorial day. The only visible structure or cover is a small dock that covers about 15 sq ft of the pond. I had the kids fish off of the dock because I figured there would be some panfish under it. Within the first five minutes, my eleven year old nephew caught two bass in the 2+lb range. He caught them using a bobber and hot dog. Go figure. I helped him by lipping them and pulling them out of the water. I tried to get him to hold the first bass so I could take a picture of him and the bass, but he wouldn't touch it. An elven year old boy who is afraid to touch a fish!? I'm going to have to fix that.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 08:12 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have seen catfish and turtles caught on them ,but never bass!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 09:14 PM   #3
Fishing4Soup

lol i fished one like a senko for carp....it worked but i went through like 4 bags of them.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 02:03 AM   #4
fishin_dude

A buddy of mine who is not a fisherman at all caught a 5 lb. bass on a hot dog chunk fishing in a lake in Florida while he was on vacation. I didn't believe him until he showed me a photo.
Old 05-31-06, 04:54 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

somone on a bet caught a bass on a dill pickel..

zooker
Old 05-31-06, 06:19 AM   #6
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
somone on a bet caught a bass on a dill pickel..

zooker
I can see that sucker right now with his eyes crossed. I bet that Bigmouth Bass puckered like a mare horse a-peeing when it bit into that dill pickle.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 12:39 PM   #7
jordan41

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

ya hotdogs are pretty verstille bait. they caught a ton of different types of fish.
Old 05-31-06, 02:28 PM   #8
HulaPopr

My biggest bass, about a 10 was caught at night on a hot dog while catfishing on a little zebco rod, it was a heck of a fight and a heck of a fish.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 03:16 PM   #9
Fishing4Soup

do you guys fish the hotdogs under a bobber?
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 04:08 PM   #10
rrw4258

just take a small chunk and put it on a hook... we had a cookout at a friends house one time and we went back to fish a verysmall farm pond and we took home 21 bluegills that were 9+" and the biggest was 11.5"! All caught on hot dogs!

Ryan
Old 05-31-06, 04:42 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

I have not tried hot dogs for bait. In fact, I almost never fish with bait. Nevertheless, I will need to give the hot dog a try.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 11:00 PM   #12
bassinbob

Do you use grilled hot dogs or ungrilled ones?

Bob
Old 06-01-06, 06:47 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCYankee
I supervised several kids fishing a small man-made pond at a relative's house on Memorial day. The only visible structure or cover is a small dock that covers about 15 sq ft of the pond. I had the kids fish off of the dock because I figured there would be some panfish under it. Within the first five minutes, my eleven year old nephew caught two bass in the 2+lb range. He caught them using a bobber and hot dog. Go figure. I helped him by lipping them and pulling them out of the water. I tried to get him to hold the first bass so I could take a picture of him and the bass, but he wouldn't touch it. An elven year old boy who is afraid to touch a fish!? I'm going to have to fix that.
My Hats off to ya buddy. Keep up the good work with those kids. I GURANTEE you have created memories that tyhose kids will never forget and possibly kept a few off of drugs.
Old 06-01-06, 01:26 PM   #14
NCYankee

Actually, two of the kids (girls) had never caught a fish before. The were grinning ear to ear when they finally caught one (bluegills). Makes ya all warm and fuzzy inside.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 02:23 PM   #15
angelus40

me and my ex went to her friends resort in mn she said try hotdogs
to catch northern pike didn't catch nothing... i caught those crawdads
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 10:27 AM   #16
Rodman_Rob

heard of a guy catching a 5lber using a piece of salami. just goes to show how much they use their sense of smell and how much they like salt.
Old 06-08-06, 07:43 PM   #17
H2O

I caught 4lb LM on still fishing with lamb on the hook. 2OZ sinker.I was casting for catfish. The bass hit the "lure" when it fell down.

I'm still thinking "HOTDOG SENKO" probably will be the best bass bait! My idea is cut hogdog into 5" Senko shape! Put salt on it, dye the tip at one side, and then frozen it. Wacky rigged it (keep it frozen)! Bass will hold it forever!

Last edited by H2O; 06-08-06 at 07:53 PM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 06:53 AM   #18
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Every Saturday there is a picnic at the fertilizer factory and we get all the left over weenies, and I believe weenies is the key. They are a versatile bait, you can catch many different species of fish with the winnie. You can troll with it, fish it with a bobber. And you can thread 50# spider wire through it with a #4 treb hook and a duck feather in it’s tail and walk it like you would a spook. You wanna carry a pack of eight with you when you fish them top water, and they have to be frozen, Otherwise they won’t have the same effect as the spook. Now, you will only get one or two blow-ups then the weenie will no longer look appetizing. So retie and get that sucka back out there before it thaws and "Walk that Dog"..... Not saying they are the best, but they work for me and Polly. Here in the hollow, we don’t have the luxury of having store bought do dads, so we make our own baits. If it aint flying, crawling, or it’s not under the ground, then we get it from the frigedaire...I gotta make one more cast, my weenie is a thawen.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 12:44 AM   #19
Hattrick7
BassFishin.Com Member

The little lake that I fish regularly, I've heard some guys catching bass, big bass, on hot dogs. That confused me because from what I've read bass don't really eat dead things.

So tonight, as I'm giving myself another 10 minutes the guy next to me gets a good bite, reels it it and it's this nice 4/5 pounder caught on a hot dog. Probably rigged for catfish but no less the bass was a good sized one. The hook was pretty far down though.

So it's weird as I'm throwing crankbaits, senkos and getting one bite the big bass goes for the hot dog. But I've also heard that bass are conditioned to their environment. So maybe they've just grown to learn that a hot dog is an easy meal.
Hattrick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:56 AM   #20
lilmule

Hot dogs are a great catfish bait,cutem up place in a jar with blood meal and sweet anise.
Not so great for bass was a fluke,most likly guy had just tossed in bass struck in a reaction strike.Have had one do same with a bobber,and I dont generally use bobbers for bait.Was bluegill fishing.
So any elongated bait could also get a reaction strike,just sometimes have to place it near them and at same time not get a good look at it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 06:20 PM   #21
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WOW, talk about an old post rising up from the ashes. lol Re-reading this the thought came to me. A hotdog is about the same size and shape as a Zara Spook. Hmmmmmm, I wonder.....
Old 08-31-12, 01:05 AM   #22
Hattrick7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Hot dogs are a great catfish bait,cutem up place in a jar with blood meal and sweet anise.
Not so great for bass was a fluke,most likly guy had just tossed in bass struck in a reaction strike.Have had one do same with a bobber,and I dont generally use bobbers for bait.Was bluegill fishing.
So any elongated bait could also get a reaction strike,just sometimes have to place it near them and at same time not get a good look at it.
I thought it was a fluke also but I went out today and this guy caught three bass all on the same bait. Yes you guessed it...hot dogs. I throw everything imaginable there and if I do catch a bass it's only one and done.

I think I've read somewhere that bass are in the same family as bluegill and if they are then that makes sense because the bluegill here eat hot dog like there's no tomorrow.
Hattrick7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.