Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-12-10, 08:20 AM   #1
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinnerbait advice needed

As I mentioned in another thread, I've had no success with spinnerbaits in the past, and want to improve in that technique. So please share your spinnerbait strategies: colors, weights, blade choices, retrieval options and the like. I like to expand my bait choices whenever I can, to become a better all-around angler, but so far this has eluded me. HELP!
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:30 AM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Spinnerbaits are actually the most versatile bait there is. There's no wrong way to fish it, although I prefer tossing it into the shallows or along weed lines or lily pads.
As far as size, I throw 3/8 oz baits. If I lived where the bass were bigger, I'd up the weight though.
Usually, I work a fast retrieve, often burning it just under the surface creating a wake.
They will work in deep water as well, usually with a yo-yo retrieve works best for me.
Colors and blade options are a question that will get you tons of different answers here.
Personally, I prefer a Blue Gill pattern skirt and a single hammered finish silver colorado blade.
I always use a trailer hook with a 4" Swirl Tail Grub on it.
Once you get the hang of it, you'll have a hard time fishing anything else.
Old 02-12-10, 09:34 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't throw spinnerbaits often, but here's some general info.

Weight - I normally use a 3/8 oz. If I want to run the bait faster or deeper, I'll go heavier, if I want to move it slower or shallower, I'll go lighter.

Color - White is probably one of the most popular spinnerbait colors. But I really prefer more natural colors like some of the Strike King's KVD series spinnerbaits. They come in many shad colors made with translucent silicone as opposed to a solid color. However, white and chartreuse is one of my go to colors in dirty water.

Blades - Willow/Colorado is probably a good all around blade choice. The larger willow blades gives off flash while the smaller colorado gives of some vibration. I use this combo most of the time. Occasionally I'll go to a double willow in very clear water where I want more flash. I also go to a double colorado, indiana/colorado, or single colorado in muddy water. The large indiana with a small colorado seems to work best for me.

Trailer hooks - These are a must. ALWAYS use a free swinging trailer hook. Do make one that is free swinging, instead of putting the rubber tubing over the eye of the hook, put the hook on, then skewer the rubber tubing to prevent the hook from coming off. If you don't have the tubing, use a hole punch to cut circles out of a coffee can lid or something similar to use for the stop.

The Retrieve - Many use a straight chuck and wind retrieve, and that does work. But hitting as many obstacles as you can with your spinnerbait will generate more strikes. If there is nothing (like dock pilings, stumps, rocks, etc) to hit, make it look like it's hitting something. An erratic wind, stop and wind technique will do just that.

While most believe it's the actual hitting of the lure on an obstacle that triggers a bass's reaction, it isn't. It is the change in direction of the lure. It doesn't matter how much change, or in what direction, any change will trigger more strikes than a straight retrieve. whether it's hitting a stump to deflect the spinnerbait a few inches to the side, or stopping in mid retrieve and letting the spinnerbait drop a few inches, it will all trigger strikes.

BB
Old 02-12-10, 09:40 AM   #4
MallenManson

There's a ton of articles out there involving spinnerbaits.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/fishing...Baits_282.html
Old 02-12-10, 11:02 AM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It all depends on the water conditions for me.

I like blue gill with willow blades when water is clear.

If the sun is up I like a translucent shad color with a single willow.

In stained water ill go with white/chart with a willow/Colorado combo.

Weight depends on depths.The deeper I'm fishing the heavier I go.
Like I said it all just depends on that day for me.
Old 02-12-10, 06:11 PM   #6
Bassboss

I'mma hafa bring this out again!

I love fishing spinnerbaits! They're fast moving, and I catch a lot of bass on them. Out of all the bass over 5 pounds I've caught, most of them have been on spinnerbaits!

Working spinnerbaits

Spinnerbaits are easy to use and effective. There's no right or wrong way to fish them. The way most people fish them is with a straight, fast to medium-fast retrieve. However, I have found that a stop and go retrieve is also effective, as is an erratic one done by shaking the rod tip slightly on the retrieve so as to make the skirt pulsate. I also will make speed changes a lot, I'll be reeling it in, and then will suddenly start reeling fast, than kill it! A lot of my bass on spinnerbaits come by doing this. I think I get a lot of my bass this way for the same reason you wanna knock a crankbait on a piece of wood, or rock. This change in speed triggers a bass to hit! Most of them time you wanna keep the bait relatively high in the water column! Another VERY effective way to fish them is to wake them, this is easiest to do with a big willow leaf blade or Colorado blade, Simply cast out and reel, reeling fast enough to keep a constant wake on the water.

Another good way to fish them is slow-roll them. I also like to do this with a big number 5 willow, or a number 4 Colorado. Cast out let the bait sinks to the bottom and start reeling relatively slowly. This will keep the blade rotating and kicking up silt on the bottom, it's kind of a reveres waking method! Another thing I like to do with spinnerbaits is to bring them over hydrilla, and where there's a hole in it, drop in side there, bass will hit them then too!

There's almost no limit as to where you can fish spinnerbaits. There pretty weedless, you can can pull them through wood, and weeds relatively snag free. Don't afraid to throw them in the thick stuff like hydrilla and and reeds.

Also an other great way to fish them is around stick ups! Trees or big sticks coming out of the water. Get up close to the tree almost like you're gonna pitch to it, in fact you are! So get close and pitch the bait to the tree, as soon as it hits, start stripping line from the reel to let it fall straight the length of the tree. Watch your line all the time, if it stops of moves put a little pressure on the line, not to much, but just enough to tell if it's a fish or the spinnerbait stopping or sliding down or something.

Trailers?

The only time when I don't use a trailer on spinnerbaits is if I don't have one! And I've never not had trailers! Good trailers would be split tail worms, grubs, Hula grubs, and paddle tail worms. Out of all of them, I thing I like the grub, and split tail worm.

split tail worms:

So many colors, so little time

There are so many spinnerbait colors out there it's hard to find the right one that the bass will bite! It can definitely confuse a lot of people just starting to use spinnerbaits!

Clear water

As far as color, and blades sizes, I like chartreuse for most conditions, if the water is super clear I'll use a white skirt with some translucent skirt strands, silver #3, or #4 blades are also better for clear water. It's nice to have flash strands for clear water too. ^^^ There's a good example of one! A smaller 1/4 oz size is best.

Strained water

For colors in stained water with a visibility of 8 feet or less, I like chartreuse and white skirts, with no flash skirts strands, or translucent skirts strands. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the stained water, so a 3/8oz is what I use!

Chocolate, and murky water

When I fish murky, or Chocolate milk colored water, it's good to have spinnerbaits with florescent colors, such as red, yellow, chartreuse, and orange; the brighter the better! It really helps the bass see it a little better. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the muddy water -- even more so than in stained water, so a 1/2 oz with a big bulky skirt is what I use! Fish it slower so the fish can hone in on it better!

So many blades so little time; The tree main blades

There are so many blades styles out now that it's hard to you which blade to use, for what conditions! As a general rule, the bigger the blade, the more flash, and vibration it emits.

Willow leaf blades!

Willow blades are the narrow blades, these ones give off much more flash than the bigger rounder, bulkier Colorado blade, and are much better for clear water or stained, and around thick grass. It's thinner blade design helps it glide through grass much more efficiently than any other blade I've used. The willow blades also give the bait a lager profile than a Colorado blade. Most of them time I use a number 4 - 4 1/2 size willow.

Colorado Blades!

The Colorado blade is a rounded, oval blade, it's short, yet wide. Because of these characteristics of a Colorado blade, it gives off much more vibration than a willow blade, but does not give nearly as much flash as one. The Colorado blade does not go through grass as well as a willow, it tends to get wrapped up better in the grass. Yet goes through wood and rock just fine! It's also a great blade for waking! It displaces much, much more water than a willow, thus, giving off a bigger wake! Since it gives off less flash, and more vibration, it’s much more effective in murky water than willow blade.

Turtle shell/Indian blades

The Indian blade, aka the turtle shell blade, is like a willow blade, and a Colorado blade combined. However, I would say it's has the characteristics of a Colorado, more than it does a willow. It has a little more flash than a Colorado blade, and little less vibration than a Colorado blade. It works best in stained to murky water. Works well in thin grass, and goes through rock and wood fine.

Short strikes?

I know allot of people will say that if you getting "hits", but missing fish, that you should put on a trailer hook. Most people think that they're setting the hook to soon, or not getting a good hook set, I for one don't think it's either of them! I've tried trailer hooks, and it helps some, but I get allot of fish hooked on the out side of the mouth, and also, it get snagged easier. When I miss fish, this tells me that the bass are coming up and smacking the spinnerbait with there mouth shut. Now most of the time, I use a number 4 - 4 1/2 size willow blade, this give the bait a big profile, so what I'll do rather than putting on a trailer hook, is add a smaller blade, or change the blades entirely! I'll most of the time but on a small Colorado, or Indian blade, this gives the bait a much smaller profile. And the bass will eat the bait, much more than they did before with the bigger profile willow leaf blade!

Rain or shine, the spinnerbait can do it all!

If it's cloudy, over cast or rainy, the sun will no be much of a factor, so flash is not needed, so using a willow blade will not give you much flash, if any, and this is what the willow has a lot of, thus, a willow blade would not be as good of a choice as a Colorado blade, or Indiana blade. I'll use these two blades when it over cast, regardless of water clarity! The only thing I will change about the blades if it's over cast and in clear water, is the size of them. A number 7 Colorado or Indiana blade will give off more vibration than a number 3 or 4. If the water stained, I'll use a number 5-6, and if it's murky, the bigger ones the better!

What kind of gear do I need?

There's a lot of fish gear out there, it's hard to know what kind of gear to use for any kind of lure, here's what I use for spinnerbaits!

What kind of rod do I need?

A more sensitive rod is not needed, but can help, so you don't need to spend 200 or 300 dollars on rod for spinnerbait. My preferd spinnerbait rod is 6 1/2, to 7 feet in length, with a fast tip, MH action. The longer 6 1/2 or 7 foot rod will let you cast a lot further than you would with a 6 foot rod. The fast tip and MH action rod will let the bass tack the spinnerbait before you set the hook, if you had a stouter rod, than you would actually take the spinnerbait away from the bass before the bass can get a hold on it.

What reel?

I much prefer bait casting reels over spinning reels, it gives me more control and and power over the spinnerbait than a spinning reel would offer. Gear rations? The gear ration of a reel controls how much power, and the speed you can move the bait. A high gear ration like a 7.1:1 reel has a lot of speed, but not much power, a 6.3:1 reel offers plenty of speed, and a good amount of power. A 5.2:1 reel offers little speed, and a lot of power. Out of all, the best gear ration to use for spinnerbaits in my opinion is a 6.3:1 reel. It give me a good balance of speed and power!

What line should I use?

Spinnerbaits are is a fast moving lure, so the bass never get a really good look at it so you don't need to got with a light line. Since it's a fast moving lure, and you mostly fish it cover, you should use at least 15lb test mono filament. Most of the time I use 17 or 20 lb mono though. Since mono has stretch, it lets the bass get a good grip on the spinnerbait before you set the hook. I'll sometimes use braided lines, but prefer mono because it has stretch. Braid has no stretch, so the you're gonna have to delay the hook set one or seconds, otherwise you'll pull the bait away from the bass. I will use braid though, it's just slightly more of a specialized line than mono. I stay away from fluorocarbon almost entirely! It sinks! And as I said above, spinnerbaits are more effective in the higher parts of the water column. And if you use flouro, than it will be harder to keep that spinnerbait up high. I do use it if I'm slow rolling spinnerbaits on the bottom though.

~ Good luck and good fishin!
Old 02-12-10, 06:52 PM   #7
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'mma hafa bring this out again!
This is great information! How about making it a sticky?
Old 02-12-10, 10:05 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

MN I like willows and white in the clear and Colorados and black in the mud. I also am taking a liking to the gold blades in real clear water. I have to disagree about the trailor hooks though. I seldom use them and I only use them when I get a hit and miss on one. A trailor hook in the muck can leave you short handed on them by the end of the day fishing in heavy cover. I like to throw them in the nasty and make them wake out and bump in to stuff and let them fall for a glimpse and then start rolling them again, sort of like a crankbait.
Old 02-12-10, 11:41 PM   #9
Rebbasser

MN, a lot of great info so far. I make my own spinnerbaits so I throw them a lot. My absolute favorite way to fish them is on a windy day parallel to the bank the wind is blowing into. The wind stirs up the plankton which in turn brings the baitfish which brings the bass. In these conditions I fish them real fast, almost on the surface. You are going for a reaction bite. I prefer a double willow combo for this type fishing.

The key is to just keep throwing it. I threw a jig for literally years and never got bit. Then one magical day I caught that first fish on it and now it is one of my go-to baits. If you keep throwing it you WILL get bit, and that confidence will come, and confidence is the name of the game.
Old 02-12-10, 11:34 PM   #10
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Chunk and wind with a lot of rod tip action. It'll come to ya.

They're my fav lures here in MN.

I like bumping a heavy spinnerbait with double willow blades along the bottom, or fishing a 1/4 oz single colorado just under the surface.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 11:39 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Bass Man View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, I've had no success with spinner baits in the past, and want to improve in that technique. So please share your spinner bait strategies: colors, weights, blade choices, retrieval options and the like. I like to expand my bait choices whenever I can, to become a better all-around angler, but so far this has eluded me. HELP!
Don't know what size you are throwing now, but one thing I do that helps is, down size my bait until I find one that they hit well, sometimes I throw the 1/8th oz Stanley or Booyah baits and work my way up from there. Citrus Shad, JuneBug and Firefly have worked well for me.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 12:27 AM   #12
Bender

I have also never figured out spinnerbaits. It seems that if I want to catch a pike all I have to do is throw one. I bet I've caught 10:1 pike over bass. I've tried burning over weed beds, over lay downs, etc. Best thing for me was slow rolling them deep, moving just fast enough to keep the blades turning.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 10:13 PM   #13
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I have also never figured out spinnerbaits. It seems that if I want to catch a pike all I have to do is throw one. I bet I've caught 10:1 pike over bass. I've tried burning over weed beds, over lay downs, etc. Best thing for me was slow rolling them deep, moving just fast enough to keep the blades turning.
Thats one of the best aspects of spinnerbait fishing, all the pike that you catch on accident. It irritates some guys, but I don't mind unless they're all dinks. I caught a 10.5, a 9, and two 8 pounders last year on accident.

But a 10:1 ratio, thats nuts! There must be a ton of pike in those waters all racing each other to the bait. For me, it's usually 3 bass for every 1 pike.
Old 02-13-10, 10:15 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Thats one of the best aspects of spinnerbait fishing, all the pike that you catch on accident. It irritates some guys, but I don't mind unless they're all dinks. I caught a 10.5, a 9, and two 8 pounders last year on accident.

But a 10:1 ratio, thats nuts! There must be a ton of pike in those waters all racing each other to the bait. For me, it's usually 3 bass for every 1 pike.

I don't like catching pike unless I'm actually fishing for em. Whenever I'm bass fishing a lake with pike, it's about an even split
Old 02-14-10, 03:27 PM   #15
screwballl

The pike down this way (North FL) tend to only go after live bait or life-like swimbaits. So far I have not heard of anyone catching pike on anything but down my way... but I am sure it is possible.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 03:40 PM   #16
JB

I use all the above tips but last year switched to using a double willow leaf 1/2 ounce spinnerbait from bass pro and putting one of Smittys skirts on there in shad with a hand ful of blk or blue. And I used to fish spinnerbaits fast
but have slowed way down using this bigger bait. The willow leafs aren't that big, but I like the 1/2 ounce for slower roll. Also I put a split tail trailer on it in white and tipped in red. no trailer hook.
I have had in the past every combo from 1/4 to mostly 3/8 and they all work at one time or another.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 03:54 PM   #17
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, I got a ton of great information here. I'm actually looking forward to spinnerbaiting this year. Too bad I've got a couple months before I can try anything. In the meantime, I'd like to hear your favorite brands of spinnerbait, and why you like them. Do you use different brands for different presentations?
Old 02-14-10, 03:58 PM   #18
MallenManson

The only spinnerbait I've ever thrown besides my own are Dixie Dancers

http://www.tackletheoutdoors.com/Tac...%2cProductName
Old 02-14-10, 05:57 PM   #19
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Anyone tried this? Cool concept, seems like a sound idea, but is it just a gimmick?

MegaStrike Strike Back Spinnerbaits
Old 02-26-10, 09:16 AM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Bass Man View Post
Anyone tried this? Cool concept, seems like a sound idea, but is it just a gimmick?

MegaStrike Strike Back Spinnerbaits
Looks pretty cool, but on thing I don't like about them. The wire and blades are to far away from the skirt and hook, but you can bend it down if need be.
Old 02-14-10, 11:06 PM   #21
flippin4it

Try a 3/8 double willow in a bluegill pattern during the pre-spawn/spawn and see what happens.
Old 02-15-10, 02:33 PM   #22
BeaverIslander

I like these the best. They're expensive, but they go on sale for $6 here and there. You can't tell from the pic, but they have a very slender head and seem to snake thru the weeds better than any spinner I've used.

I'm particularly fond of the 3/4 oz. double willow spinnerbaits. Those are about as weedless as they get.

These Pro Assassinators have top quality blades, paint, and hooks. Plus they are built with really strong wires yet seem to still have plenty of thump. The best part is that I don't have to tune them every time I toss them into a wind gust like some of the thin wire spinnerbaits I own. They seem to stay tuned better than any spinner I have used.

I threw these about 20-30% of the time last year. They are my go-to search lure and the first thing I toss on nearly every trip. The buzzers rock, too.

http://www.secretweaponlures.com/pro...sassinator.htm
Old 02-15-10, 03:44 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
I like these the best. They're expensive, but they go on sale for $6 here and there. You can't tell from the pic, but they have a very slender head and seem to snake thru the weeds better than any spinner I've used.

I'm particularly fond of the 3/4 oz. double willow spinnerbaits. Those are about as weedless as they get.

These Pro Assassinators have top quality blades, paint, and hooks. Plus they are built with really strong wires yet seem to still have plenty of thump. The best part is that I don't have to tune them every time I toss them into a wind gust like some of the thin wire spinnerbaits I own. They seem to stay tuned better than any spinner I have used.

I threw these about 20-30% of the time last year. They are my go-to search lure and the first thing I toss on nearly every trip. The buzzers rock, too.

Look good. I was looking at their components. $3.99 per head? Ouch!
Old 02-15-10, 08:16 PM   #24
CamG

Quote:

I bought a few of these last year - they are nice!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 07:28 PM   #25
abu4600

I like a 1/4 or 3/8 double blade spinner with a silver 2 blade on the shaft and a 5 or 6 gold Indiana main blade. Skirt colors are char/blue, firetiger or char/white for stained water and white, red or char/ white for clear water. I think wire diameter is the main thing to look for too, I like a thin wire of .029 to .032 because yuo get max. vibration from thin wire and I think vibration is probably the most important thing about spinnerbaits.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.