Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-27-09, 08:40 PM   #1
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Ratios

What is your preference for the different stuff you like throw??
5.0:1 =
6.0"1 =
7.0:1 =
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 08:55 PM   #2
muddy

I used to like( Baitcasting ) 5.3:1 for cranks and 6.something for everything else. What I have discovered, or should I say rediscovered is I am going to 4 rigs.. all with Fenwick Eagle GT rods/ 7 ft Fast/Med Heavy which covers from 1/4 oz. to 1 and 1/4 oz. and 4 ABU Round 5600WS reels ( 6.3:1) because after spending a lot of money and choosing to "modernize" in the end this set up will cover everyway I fish.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 09:22 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

4.9-5.4:1
Crankbaits, jerkbaits

6.3:1
Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwaters, frogs, t-rigs, c-rig, senkos, lipless cranks, etc.

7.1-7.3:1
jigs, flipping, pitching

TnTom, I do believe the inches retrieved per handle turn in more important than gear ratio alone. While the gear ratio plays a big role in this, it isn't the same for all reels.

Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker - 4.9:1 - 22"
Abu Garcia Revo Winch - 5.4:1 - 21"
Shimano Curado - 5.0:1 - 21"
Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Revo - 6.4:1 - 24"
Daiwa Zillion - 6.3:1 - 28"
Abu Garcia Revo STX - 6.4:1 - 27.5"
Shimano Curado - 6.2:1 - 28"
Daiwa Zillion - 7.1:1 - 31.6" (I think)
Daiwa Aggrest and Zillion 50th Anniv. - 7.3:1 - 32"
Shimano Curado - 7.0:1 -30"
Abu Garcia Revo STX - 7.1:1 - 31"

Those are just some examples to show a regular (6._:1) or high speed (7._:1) gear ratio between brands, or even within the same brand, are not the same when it comes to inches per handle turn.

BB
Old 09-27-09, 11:20 PM   #4
BeaverIslander

This year I'm beginning to prefer faster reels for everything. I believe that I can feel more when I have to crank slower. For example, slow rolling a spinnerbait or lipless crank with a 7.0:1.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 12:36 AM   #5
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
4.9-5.4:1
Crankbaits, jerkbaits

6.3:1
Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwaters, frogs, t-rigs, c-rig, senkos, lipless cranks, etc.

7.1-7.3:1
jigs, flipping, pitching

TnTom, I do believe the inches retrieved per handle turn in more important than gear ratio alone. While the gear ratio plays a big role in this, it isn't the same for all reels.

Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker - 4.9:1 - 22"
Abu Garcia Revo Winch - 5.4:1 - 21"
Shimano Curado - 5.0:1 - 21"
Abu Garcia Skeet Reese Revo - 6.4:1 - 24"
Daiwa Zillion - 6.3:1 - 28"
Abu Garcia Revo STX - 6.4:1 - 27.5"
Shimano Curado - 6.2:1 - 28"
Daiwa Zillion - 7.1:1 - 31.6" (I think)
Daiwa Aggrest and Zillion 50th Anniv. - 7.3:1 - 32"
Shimano Curado - 7.0:1 -30"
Abu Garcia Revo STX - 7.1:1 - 31"

Those are just some examples to show a regular (6._:1) or high speed (7._:1) gear ratio between brands, or even within the same brand, are not the same when it comes to inches per handle turn.

BB
Really appreciate the details. I haven't tried anything in the 7._:1 range and the Shimanos' I use are 6.0:1 - 6.2:1

I need to add a couple more and I'm thinking a 7._:1 for sure. Currently I have the Shimano Castaic Flippin reel at 6.2.:1 and one of the 2 additions will also be for flipping. BigBass what would be the advantage of the faster speed reel for that purpose?

Thanks guys for this info.
Tom
Old 09-28-09, 08:07 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

When fishing jigs and flipping and pitching, I rarely every fish the lure back to the boat. After the fall and working it a bit, I bring it back and cast (or pitch/flip) again. I like the high speed reels to get the lure back to the boat as fast as I can to make as many casts are possible. Some people like it because they can pull the fish out of the cover before they can get buried, but I don't see this is such a big deal.

BB
Old 09-28-09, 08:34 AM   #7
Bassboss

5.0:1 = Crankbaits, jerkbaits

6.0:1 = spinnerbaits, worms, buzzbaits (most like 7.0:1), senkos, lip less cranks, topwater, -- almost everything, jigs and worms if you like.

7.0:1 = Jigs, worms, flipping pitching, frogs.
Old 09-28-09, 11:36 AM   #8
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
When fishing jigs and flipping and pitching, I rarely every fish the lure back to the boat. After the fall and working it a bit, I bring it back and cast (or pitch/flip) again. I like the high speed reels to get the lure back to the boat as fast as I can to make as many casts are possible. Some people like it because they can pull the fish out of the cover before they can get buried, but I don't see this is such a big deal.

BB
I tend to agree. I misunderstood your preference was the faster retrieve for flipping pitching. Ya maybe for getting the fish out of cover. For me when working the heavy cover I'm up close and personal and use the rod more for clearing the fish rather than cranking him.
Again some great info.
Old 09-28-09, 03:33 PM   #9
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think everyone nailed it on the applications for each gear ratio. I will add this about the higher gears. I like to use a 7:1 ratio for jigs, frogs, and all topwater. I prefer the high speed because these are the baits where I find myself needing to take up slack in a hurry. I have had fish swim right at me on the initial strike on those techniques. I want to be able to get the slack out quickly to get a good hook set or to maintain tension on the line.
Old 09-28-09, 08:19 PM   #10
abu4600

I use a 5.1 garcia c3 for cranks and a 6.1 garcia c4 for everything else.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:23 PM   #11
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I have always been curious with the focus primarily on ratio. The speed at which one cranks rarely gets discussed yet to me is a much greater variable. I am far from an expert but I turn whichever reel I am using faster or slower as needed. If I want my 641 STX to go faster i get busy. Slower, no problem. I may be missing something. I certainly don't even know how much line on my reel brings that preferred ratio (I'd guess 85% full) but it would seem one could vary the amount of line and basically achieve different "ratio's", but perhaps its only a small difference. But it varies a lot on long casts with heavier line, I would presume.

My opine over I prefer middle of the road 6.4 for everything.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 09-28-09 at 10:48 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:37 PM   #12
TnTom

I know that when I throw a buzz bait I like it to get on top of the water real fast but other than that like poppers I never move it until the ripples are gone and generally the same with a soft frogs. TRig worms when I'm going slow its too fast. Like Randy states when I need it to move faster I just crank it a little more. 6._:'s seem to handle most everything but I'll probably get a 7. For fast top water and ease off when I want to slow it down.
Old 09-28-09, 10:51 PM   #13
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I thought long and hard about getting a 7 as my main go to reel. But decided that the more middle of the road 6.4 should give me more flexibility in the seemingly never ending quest to have the perfect setup. The perfect setup quickly evolves into multiple perfect setups of course.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.