Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-11, 10:42 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Question question for everyone

ok, all ya'll know i gots an old (97 model) rig. now.......my question is this. if you had lets say for jsut arguments sake, you had a choice of either restoring the rig oyu have or buying another rig. which would oyu do?

now in restoring the rig oyu have means FULLY restored. making it just like new, paint, carpet, controls, and motor. or buying a USED rig for 10 grand. which do oyu think is the better choice? i am inclined to think restoring would be the better choice.

yes i would LOVE to do this. but i ain't got no where NEAR 10 grand, lol. i just wanted to know what everyone else thought aobut this.
Old 11-11-11, 10:47 PM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

without money,its an easy choice...lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 11:59 PM   #3
Dogmatic

"New" rig for 10K, but like Embrey said it's an easy choice when ya ain't got the 10K.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 12:28 AM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok, ok....I'll sell you my boat for $9k. Does that make your decision any easier?
Old 11-12-11, 12:47 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

I've restored more than one boat over the years, and if you do all the work yourself and shop very carefully and depending on the motor $ you could end up with a wonderful boat that's a joy to fish out of for a lot less than 10k. ............Or not?
If you decide to restore please share a pictorial timeline here....I'm sure there are some guys that could give you some helpful tips

ps is the hull/transom sound?
Old 11-12-11, 01:33 AM   #6
joedog

If you have the ability to do it yourself cost could go down or if the monkey shows up as much or more.
One thing to remember, restoration rarely is a short time frame. During restoration you'll be stuck to shore or at the will of friends and thier schedules and such. To me restoration is as much about the joy of the progress and end result as cost. And lets face it your not going to put old electronics on your new rebuilt and then after you add dual power poles and the most up to date new crap availble, you will forget the cost saving goal real fast.
Lastly, I personally would only consider it if it were going to be my last or there are alot of fond memories.
Ask the guys who build thier own poles, I think they will tell you, rarely is saving money the goal. It's knowing what you got and knowing the hands that are casting this pole are also the hands that made this pole. I really don't think you can put a price or value on that.

Last edited by joedog; 11-12-11 at 01:40 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 04:31 AM   #7
nobass

if it ain't broke don't fix it. with your boat you know what you have .with a new used boat you are usally buying someone eless problems
Old 11-12-11, 09:15 AM   #8
keithdog

Sounds like you have a lot to think about John. I'd think you need to start by asking yourself if there are upgrades or options you would like to have in your boat that are not possible with the old Cajun. Such as layout, size of storage compartments, more compartments, location of compartments, ect. Is your boat now very sound or does the hull have issues? Modification can really restore and transform a boat, but their are limits as to what can realistically be done. How much of the restoration would be done by you and how much would be done professionally? Maybe you should start looking at the used boat market while deciding what you want to do and see whats out there. You just might find a real gem out there for a real bargin. Especially in todays economic climate. Depending on how much cash you could get for the Cajun, it may cost you less money to sell and then apply that cash towards a newer used rig. But if you love everything about the Cajun, and really hate to part with the old girl, then upgrading seems the logical choice. Like Don just said, at least that way you know what you've got and there hopfully are not any hidden suprises. Also, consider the time it will take to restore. Will it be available come spring when you want to get back out on the water? If not, are you ok with that? Having it professionally restored would probably be much faster but also more costly. If it were me, I would set a limit on how much I would spend on another boat and what that boat would cost me in the end after selling the Cajun. Compare that to the cost of restoration of the Cajun and go from there.
Old 11-12-11, 09:17 AM   #9
bassboogieman

Your boat don't look all that bad. Total resoration will cost more than making some minor repairs. Restoring and older boat can be fun, especially if you have the skill to do most of it yourself. If you go that route, you will likely not recover much of the expense - because it will still be an old boat, not a classic, but it will look nice. If that's important to you, do as you will. I don't really care about the cosmetics as I do about the functionality of my boat. My seats are torn and really should be replaced so they look nice, but I can still sit in them. My carpet is also showing some spots that are comming loose, but I'm not thnking of replacing it soon. You know a boat is a hole in the water you thow money into, but restoration means a whole lot more going into that hole, that won't make it easier to fish from, maybe just a little easier on the eyes. Were you thinking of maybe changing the colors to purple & gold?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 09:23 AM   #10
lilmule

For 10 k out of 50 k its still a very aged used boat,id take what lil money available and get a gel coat kit-26 bucks touch it up maybe some carpet or a new seat.
If you had the 10k could very easily plunk it down take one ride and poof it,and what you have while tired of it is a known variable.
I have a 1990,replacing my 1977 omc with an 89 rice burner,that is my sole extent at getting newer and better,on ss it dont get any better,so at times one must be glad they have what they do.
Ps my tired old allison 2002 with a 150 hp will pass most bb costing 50 k with a 200- 225 strapped on them.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 10:03 AM   #11
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
if it ain't broke don't fix it. with your boat you know what you have .with a new used boat you are usally buying someone eless problems

Used to have this on a sign at work. "If it aint...." If it's fishable why mess with it. Fished many Tue night tournaments against guys with 16' jons & 50 hp Mercs with 12 volt tm that would kick everybody's azz. The fish don't care what you have. Save your money unless you have a boat lined up that was only used to start monthly tournaments on Sundays from May thru Sep. These ol farts in FL may have high end rigs but many barely use them. Not sure how much of a boat you're wanting but no payments are nice.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 10:21 AM   #12
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea it all depends on how much work you can do yourself. Restoring a boat if it needs an engine or engine work coupled with a paint job and carpet will blow your budget all to hell if you have to farm it out.

Last year I had the interior of my 17' Ranger completely redone. All new seat covers custom made and all new carpet installed. Had to pull all the lids off, hardware, etc. but it was done right. It would have cost 4 grand to have done if my wife was not in the upholstery business, but believe me I pay for it everyday! LoL.

You can spend 3 - 4 grand just on a paintjob if its white and not metal flake. Marine labor and Marine parts are high no matter what brand it is.

It all depends on what you are looking for but you can find some really nice newer boats out there for 10- 15k.

Maybe if Crankbait finds a nice used boat he will sell you his old one.....

Old 11-12-11, 11:39 AM   #13
bamabassman

thank oyu all for your input. it really means alot to me.

i used the 10 grand as a possible TOTAL on the amount it owuld cost to restore a rig PROPERLY. i mean taking it COMPLETLY apart and going from the "frame up" type of restoration. i may have gone over the realistic amount. but that is aobut what i figured it would cost with updating all the electronics and so forth.

would i do it? YES! in a heart beat.could i do it? welll.......that is debatable, haha. i am sure if i had ALL the tools needed and the time and some help here and there. i think i could.

i was really wanting to know if any of YA'LL would do this. as much as i would love to go and buy me a brand new PHEONIX loaded to the gills, i can't see my wife allowing me to spend half of what our house cost to do such a thing. haha.

so i am wanting to do this to the old RAJUN CAJUN but haven't got the $1.00 to even start. and if i ever DO restore it, it's gonna be completly different looking. meaning different color, little bigger motor (it's rated for a 225 and has a 200 on it now.), bigger trolling motor, all the goodies, haha. maybe if i can steal nofears big screen finder and get a twin to go up front too. lol.

my rig is black, VERY HOT on oyur feet in the summertime. so everything that is black would be white. it has gold and red trim. everything gold would be CRIMSON (yes BAMA COLORS, LOL) and the red would be ELEPHANT GREY. carpet would be elephant grey as well. match up the seats with some of the same color scheme. maybe have BAMABASSMAN painted on the sides near the rear.

yes, it's a dream. but hey it would look so cool. in my mind anyway. hahaha.

but i know how dreams are. i just wondered what you would do if oyu had the choice.
Old 11-12-11, 12:46 PM   #14
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Well since you are a bama fan you could actually have a full wrap installed for probably around the 3 - 4g range I would think. You could find a used motor but to go up from a 200 to a 225 would not be worth the money it would cost so save it and put in into the boat elsewhere. You can spend 5g on electronics depending on what you get at the console & bow. Install gray carpet that will not stain bad. Buy or have made some seat covers to match the bama colors. Spend a few dollars and darken your windshield(s). Install a nice radio and speakers and you will have a really super nice rig within the price tag mentioned.
Old 11-12-11, 02:26 PM   #15
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Guy View Post
Well since you are a bama fan you could actually have a full wrap installed for probably around the 3 - 4g range I would think. You could find a used motor but to go up from a 200 to a 225 would not be worth the money it would cost so save it and put in into the boat elsewhere. You can spend 5g on electronics depending on what you get at the console & bow. Install gray carpet that will not stain bad. Buy or have made some seat covers to match the bama colors. Spend a few dollars and darken your windshield(s). Install a nice radio and speakers and you will have a really super nice rig within the price tag mentioned.
I like this answer!
Old 11-12-11, 05:57 PM   #16
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

No problem guys,
Wish it was helping me. The old saying opinions are like A-holes. Everyone has one and they all stink (joke ) One minute I want new (to me) rig, the next I want to keep what I have. Wish I could make up my friggin mind already. It's driving me crazy. I 've bought and sold more bass boats then I care to mention. Always seemed to be for a good reason at the time. And I always find a rig somehow that I gotta have. The perfect boat for the next year or 2 until I get tired of paying for it. So I downsize, then 2 years later I'm ready to upsize. I'm addicted to bass boats, and fishing, I'm the first to admit it. Oh well, I'm just glad I enjoy something so much. Most folks dont have any hobbies or interests and just like to sit around and bs. I think I'm talking myself into the new champ again.
FishChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 06:58 PM   #17
champman

Hey Bama, I've owned my '89 CHAMPION fo 12 years now and I keep thinking about a new to me boat, but every time i start looking around at newer used boats I think about all the up grades I could to the boat I own. If your engine is strong and you know it to be in good condition, maybe new carpet, a face lift and some new gadgets is all you need. Then remember all the great times you had with this boat and how many more there are to come. That's what I did. Like the man said; you don't know what you had till it's gone.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 07:52 PM   #18
bamabassman

yeah, i've thought about the wrap thing. but i would rather go ahead and restore the rig so it looks "original". but to each his/her own ya know.

look, i will probably NEVER be able to this folks. like i said, i just wanted to know what ya'll would do IF you had the choice. but want to TRULY THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR YOU INPUT. if and when i DO get the chance, i AM gonna restore this rig. i am so comfortable in it. andi know it so well and it serves me so good. this is most likely the only rig i will ever have for the rest of my fishing life.

besides.......IT'S DA RAJUN CAJUN. a LEGEND IN ITSELF. bwahahahaha!!!
Old 11-12-11, 09:14 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

I am almost always all for getting a new boat. I just figure you only go through life one time and you should make sure it's everything you want it to be because once your gone your money stays here anyways. But in your case John I honestly wouldn't buy a new boat. Think about it like this. Your boat is a 21 footer right? So is mine and I know that I would not want to step back down in size. I might would go as small as a 20 footer but that's doubtful as I don't think I could go back to anything under 21 feet now. So assuming your like me and like having a bigger platform and your looking in the $10K price range your most likely going to end up with a boat that is in worse shape than what the Cajun would be in if you put the money into giving her a makeover. Not to mention you would be risking the chance of buying someone elses headaches and having to work a bunch of bugs out of it in the first place which also will cost some money that you didn't plan on spending. If you like the room in the 21 foot boat and your comfortable with her then I say you should fix her up when money allows. In the end you will have a boat your already comfortable in and it will be in much better shape with much newer bells and whistles than what your $10K will buy you.
Old 11-12-11, 10:49 PM   #20
bcklash

Bama, you know our boat an old 94 Dyna Trak. We've had a blast adding and doing things to it. We are getting ready to put all new seats in her before spring. We thought about trading earlier this year, I'm glad we didn't.

Keep the Cajun and slowly rebuild her. It'll be alot of fun.
Old 11-13-11, 01:24 AM   #21
Embrey

my cajun is still rajun and stayin around till it dont float,which has already happened twice actually.lol. but i like it
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 08:59 AM   #22
Top Tiger

Bam a, you keep raving about your "Rajun Cajun". Are you possibly a closet L.S.U. fan or is that perhaps a little envy that slips out through your boat? It does sound better than the "Red Tide" though. LOL
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 11:44 AM   #23
bamabassman

ooooohhhhhh top....dem fighting words right thar now. lol!!!

it's ok though for real. after living on the coast for 17 yrs i got sorta "cajunized". my wife was born and raised in mobile, al. ALL dem folks down thar are cajuns ya know. hahaha!!
Old 11-13-11, 02:29 PM   #24
mike234

Bama my first boat was a Dynatrak 166 with a Evinrude 88 Special. It has been kept in garage or stored since then and after 3 years of fishing hardly used so it is in great shape. I have kept it no matter what other boat I have fished. Have had Ranger 520, Blazer Pro 21, and now fish Norris Craft with 350 Yamaha.
The Norris Craft has all Lowrance Sonar and most of options you can put on bass boat. But believe it or not we(grandson & I) fish the Dynatrak the most. Put all new electronics, on board charger, 82# MG electric and etc. In all have spent over $3500 to bring it up to date.
It is not as fast or roomy or "slick" as Norris Craft which is the best big boat I have owned but Holden likes it better also. I think the "big boat" maybe scares him a little but never drive over 50mph with him in the boat.
I am glad I fixed up Dynatrak and it is as good a boat as any on the water. Of course it holds special place in my life as first boat and the boat is the one I taught my wife and a young boy to fish. If you really like the boat you have now I personally think you should fix it up the way you want it. You know what the boat has on it after fixing it up and will feel like old friend with you on the water.
I also fixed up a Norris Craft 15.5' Pro Tournament with a 150 Evinrude and am really pleased with it. Do not forget to upgrade trailer.
Oh yes I forgot when you repaint boat instead of using crimson and grey it would be really sharp it is was orange and white.

Last edited by mike234; 11-14-11 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Boat colors
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11, 04:59 PM   #25
66KingFisher

Being that I'm a natural born tinkerer, and a DIY kinda guy, my vote is normally to rebuild or restore what I already have.....Guess thats why I drive a 20 year old vehicle and just keep fixin it up when I can.

Besides, for me there was always a sense of pride and accomplishment that I took something old and wore out and restored into something that looks and functions like new, even though its now an antique...hehehe.....So John my vote is to keep whatcha got and restore it as you can afford to....Do all you can yourself and call in favors from your buddies for those areas that require skills you don't have.....That should cover most of what you want done right?...lol....Good luck with whichever way you decide to go buddy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.