Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-12, 09:52 AM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Painting a Jon Boat?

Couple months ago, my Uncle called me up to tell me my Grandpa had left me his 14' DJR Baycraft Jon Boat, in his will. It was overlooked for 10 years & hasn't been registered since 91

The pics are how I found it:
When I realized the Capacity Plate was missing, I had to go back to the farm and dig through the leaves, to find the rotted wood with the plate attached.
Since I got it for free, I'm going to go through the whole thing: Replace the wood on the back, paint, upgrade the seats, install an anchor pulley, fish finder, new oars and rod holders.

I have 2 questions:
Can a transducer shoot through an aluminum hull? I generally hear 3 opinions on this subject:
Yes
No
Yes, but with degraded sensitivity

What type of paint should I use?
I'm currently looking at Duralax Aluminum Boat Paint Green.

I have access to a pressure washer and paint sprayer, so that will be no problem

Hopefully, I'll be starting the project soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	8143   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	8144  
Old 08-17-12, 08:36 PM   #2
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I use to run an Alumicraft and I just set the transducer in the bilge area and poured appox. 1 quart of water in. It worked just fine, but had to be sitting in the water.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 09:31 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey MM This site is a super resource. Great tips and tutorials on everything you'll need to know. Some of the before/after pics are amazing.
http://www.tinboats.net/
Old 08-18-12, 10:23 AM   #4
MallenManson

Kenneth, thanks for the link! I have signed up! They're doing some crazy stuff over there!

Highhawk, thanks for that info! From your advice, it sounds like I may be able to do it like I did in my yak, then.
Set it in silicone, mash it down to remove any air bubbles, then cover it with silicone.
That is great news!
I fish a ton of stumps and logs, plus I'll be dragging it in and out of my pickup bed.
Mounting on the outside of the hull would be a big problem for me.
Thought about a swing away mount, but sooner or later, I'd forget to swing it up
Old 08-18-12, 10:27 AM   #5
lilmule

Before I paint it id test it by placing some water in it to make sure it wont leak in,painting will help seal it but a pretest might determine where some extra work might be needed,minor spot jb wield,then paint.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 10:33 AM   #6
MallenManson

Yep. I had it out once and didn't spot any leaks. Although I plan on doing a more in depth test before I paint.

After the test, I'll seal every rivet on that thing before I paint. No money in it as yet, might as well go a little overboard
Old 08-18-12, 05:10 PM   #7
MallenManson

Kenneth, I withdraw my former thanks. That place has me thinkin of morphing my Jon Boat into a Bass Boat!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-12, 07:04 PM   #8
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You can get aluminum boat paint (Parkers) at GM or Cabelas. I like it best. Very durable and good for several years of use. Get some Gluvit epoxy sealer for the bottom and it will do wonders! You can make a mounting bracket out of aluminum in an upside down J shape to hold your transducer over the stern so it's removable. I have also used a piece of wood and "C" clamps. If you have trouble visualizing the bracket, I'll take a picture of mine an post it.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 07:21 PM   #9
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
You can get aluminum boat paint (Parkers) at GM or Cabelas. I like it best. Very durable and good for several years of use. Get some Gluvit epoxy sealer for the bottom and it will do wonders! You can make a mounting bracket out of aluminum in an upside down J shape to hold your transducer over the stern so it's removable. I have also used a piece of wood and "C" clamps. If you have trouble visualizing the bracket, I'll take a picture of mine an post it.

Thanks for the info! I saw an aluminum mounting bracket on youtube that looked pretty sweet
Old 08-18-12, 09:03 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Kenneth, I withdraw my former thanks. That place has me thinkin of morphing my Jon Boat into a Bass Boat!!!!!!!!
If the beam is 55 or more inches and you weigh less than 300 lbs you can do the whole front/rear casting platform thing. If it's less than that(likely in 14') you can still pull off a sweet, carpeted, floored revamp. You'll have to sit on pedestals like a Tracker Panfish Special to keep your center of gravity lower, but still makes an outstanding bass boat for smaller elec only type of lakes/ponds.
Old 08-19-12, 01:52 PM   #11
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Thanks for the info! I saw an aluminum mounting bracket on youtube that looked pretty sweet
I much prefer the removable option. I like to keep it all together in a tote so it's not exposed to the weather and I don't forget it.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 03:52 PM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
If the beam is 55 or more inches and you weigh less than 300 lbs you can do the whole front/rear casting platform thing. If it's less than that(likely in 14') you can still pull off a sweet, carpeted, floored revamp. You'll have to sit on pedestals like a Tracker Panfish Special to keep your center of gravity lower, but still makes an outstanding bass boat for smaller elec only type of lakes/ponds.

Yeah...sadly..kind of....I found out yesterday that my 32" bottom (on the boat!!!!), isn't gonna cut it.
But, I am going to build up 2 or all 3 of the bench seats for waterproof storage. Stole a great way to do that from a guy on tinboats.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewto...p?f=21&t=25143.

I'm also gonna add a rod locker, although I hafta get out the ruler to figure out exactly where and how

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.