Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 11-24-14, 12:00 AM   #1
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Florida in the "winter" ...

I am not intentionally rubbing it in ... but how are y'all doing up there in "snow country"?
It got cold here in Central Florida ... had to put on a sweatshirt last week.
It's supposed to get down into the low 60's next weekend, too.
Personally, I don't think cold fronts effect the bass here much. It does make them draw closer to structure, but it doesn't shut there feeding instincts off. So, as Thanksgiving draws closer ... how many of you are going fishing, and what's your methods for late fall/early winter strikes?
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-14, 01:29 AM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Was 60 here today. Same tomorrow but it's raining now. Supposed to rain tomorrow also. Took out my 4 rods and tackle bag from the SUV today so I am done. Never was a cold season bass fisherman. Used to fish for walleyes and trout in cold weather. But as I get older I like the warm better.
Old 11-24-14, 01:25 PM   #3
Thornback

I mostly fish with shiners so my method year round is the same -- allow the shiner to swim under or in most vegetation. I agree the cold fronts don't have a great effect on the bass in Florida and thus I go fishing when I can and there is no rain or heavy wind predicted.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-14, 04:02 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I'll be in Orlando Jan 10th-17th fishing and taking some relief from the northern winter. Was there a couple years ago and while we didn't score anything big it was a lot of fun. This trip like the last one will be in kayaks. Looking forward to it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-14, 08:16 AM   #5
lilmule

Gators, cayman,pythons,anacondas not to mention cottonmouths and diamondbacks get a bigger boat and higher off the water, much higher.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-14, 10:06 PM   #6
mikechell

Naw ... I've been fishing here, within 100 miles of Orlando, for the last 22 years. I've spent some of that time wading. None of the fauna mentioned, Lilmule, has ever bothered me, even though I've been pretty close to some of them.

First, there are NO pythons, caiman or anacondas this far north. Those are all everglades invaders.

Diamondbacks do their best to avoid water. They don't sink into the water very far. This gives them almost no "traction" in the water. They make all the movements like a swimming snake, but they just don't go very far. They also cannot submerge at all.

Although there are Cottonmouth here ... I have NEVER seen one. I consider myself an amateur herpetologist, and have sought them out. I have seen tons of Green and Brown Water Snakes. I have seen a few overly large Banded Water Snakes. But I have not found a Cottonmouth, yet.

Fishing Central Florida is no more dangerous than fishing anywhere else in the Country. Drowning is more of a hazard than any critters.

Now ... lightning !?!?!? You MUST watch the skies for storm clouds.
Old 11-26-14, 03:57 PM   #7
mikechell

Yahooo !!! The clouds are gone and the sun is shining. It's going to be a cool holiday, but it will be clear and hopefully the wind will lie down and it'll be calm.
Old 11-28-14, 03:22 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to fish on Lake Tarpon in Florida during January and we always did very well and always on one approach and lure. Drifting over weed beds about 50-100 yards or more from shore and working a Rebel floating jointed minnow, silver w/black back, right over the weed beds. Catching a bass or big crappie on nearly every cast was often the case. They called those baits broken backs down there, and it HAD to be silver with a black back. Anything else and you didn't get a strike. Never seen fish so set on one bait before.
Old 12-06-14, 11:14 AM   #9
lilmule

Theres a lake in sc that prefers jointed number 7 shad raps same color over the normal one.
For some reason the name eludes me near an af base and has cactus by the ramp.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 09:14 AM   #10
Thornback

Glad you mentioned Florida lightening, Mikechell. It's bad stuff. My grandfather was killed by lightening in St. Augustine, FL and my uncle was killed by lightening in Perry, FL. Keep an eye out for lightning when on the water and also wear that PFD.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 09:53 AM   #11
mikechell

Wow! Sorry to hear of your losses.
I've heard, if you can hear the thunder, you can be hit by lightning from that same cloud.
I try to avoid being out when it's coming. There was a tournament angler killed by lightning a few years ago, on Lake Harris.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.