Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-11-09, 12:04 AM   #1
Frank C
BassFishin.Com Member

Default powell rods

Hi guys can you give some info on these rods. Are they good/ bad light/heavy. What do they compare to with other rods.

thanks
Frank
Frank C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 02:12 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
Hi guys can you give some info on these rods. Are they good/ bad light/heavy. What do they compare to with other rods.

thanks
Frank
Frank,

I have used them and they are good heavy rods for flipping/pitching and frogging. If you are looking for a different application then I would not suggest them. They were a little heavy for my preferance if I used for plastics other than pitching. I believe that they all have very fast tips as well.
Old 03-11-09, 04:10 PM   #3
Bender

Cassidyta, did you use the Max rods? I've handled a few since many people I know have them and they seemed pretty light to me. Especially their crankbait rod for how big it is. I've only heard good things about them but it is one of the few brands I do not have...yet.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:26 PM   #4
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If it's the same company that makes fly rods, they make good fly rods.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:50 PM   #5
cassidyta

I am not sure which model number. It was a fairly heavy flipping stick
Old 03-12-09, 01:11 PM   #6
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

I have St. Croix Avid Shimano Crucial Loomis and Powell. Use a 7' Powell cast mh/ef jigs t rigs c rig senkos and a Powell 6'8 m/l x/f spin. Like them both for my applications. For me I get the lightness and sensitivity I need in all my rods. I do fish with braid and fluro leader. I just broke my 6'8 Powell thru my own fault. I called Bryan Keith at Powell told him what happened and he said no problem. For $40 they are replacing the rod and in fact they are sending me the same model in a 7 footer which I requested. Go to their website check their rods and the warranty which served me well. Im not an expert not a tournament fish guy fish about two or three times a month so Im sure you will get more input from those with better expertise. I fish my Powells on a Shimano symetre reel and Revo STX baitcaster. I like the feel and balance of my set ups. I gave a lot of thought and research before I purchased and very satisfied with the Powell rods. Not sure but I think their a bit more popular out here in the west. I havnt seen them in Bass Pro or Cabelas but Sportsman Warehouse and Fisherman Choice with good reputation in Phoenix carrys full line of Powells
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.