Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-19-11, 11:30 AM   #1
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Clear coat

I really want to get a new clear coat put on my boat. There are some spots of oxidation and I want to completely eliminate them. Is anyone on here familiar with the process? Would my boat have to be completely stripped down to have a clear put on it right? Also I know its in the thousands but can anyone help me out with a close estimate of what how much I would need to even think about having it done? Also how long do yall think it will take? Its a 18 foot ranger
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 09:42 PM   #2
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Have you taken any steps to polish the clear coat now or is beyond repair? I have had boats in the past that were fading and I wet sanded them with 600 grit paper and waxed them and then polished them with a high speed polisher and they looked like new again. To answer your question most companies will wet sand the boat to get all the oxidation out and then reclear the boat and polish it.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 08:07 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product...oration-System
Try this first,it will polish it up but have to redo in a few months
If its like most its mainly top cap and 1/2 day or less will cure that for a few months at a time.
I use 000 steel wool myself,rather than sand paper
Often can be bought at wal mart
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 08:57 PM   #4
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

I know I had a hydra-sport that I re-did and I wet sanded it, making the mistake of wet-sanding until the metallic flake was pitting. I am very worried about doing the same thing. If I do-do it myself do yall think the speed of the buffer will have a large impact on the final result? I have cloudy oxidation spots but some parts of the boat are not oxidized at all? It is a 92 boat.
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 09:51 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

now i ain't no expert what-so-ever, but why not go to a shop that will RE-GEL it for you? i have seen clear coated boats, they look good for a year or so. but hen they start to peel off and you are right back where you started. just my 2 cents pal.
i want to re-store my old rig (97 cajun). and if i am correct...it is less costly than buying a newer rig. found a place to have it done too. but i haven't even called because i know i can't afford it now.
Old 10-21-11, 11:42 PM   #6
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First off a Ranger clear coat is a whole lot thicker than a Hydrasport. You don't want to get carried away sanding on it, do a spot and look at it. Sounds like you used too coarse of sand paper. I would try polishing it first with a high speed polisher. A buffer will not work. You have to cut through the oxidation to remove it. I had a 2004 Ranger that started getting a cloud on the top cap in spots and polishing it would not get it out. I had to wet sand it and then polish it to get it to clean up. Rule of thumb is if you wet the dull spots and they shine like new then it will polish out, if not it will have to be sanded or reclear coated.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.