Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-25-11, 08:55 PM   #26
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
I dont like dredging,however when forced to succumb to the ledge bite its a manns 30+(old homer),toss on 12lb mono.
The Mann's 20 and 30+ are my go to deep divers. I love the action. I've also caught some big ones throwing a Mann's 20+ into 8' and plowing mud.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:39 PM   #27
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
The Mann's 20 and 30+ are my go to deep divers. I love the action. I've also caught some big ones throwing a Mann's 20+ into 8' and plowing mud.

Seems like that is what they want around here lately, if your bait is not digging into the bottom they are not interested.
Old 10-26-11, 02:02 AM   #28
pro reel

I need to find some of the 30 + baits. The DD 22 works as long as I kneel and reel with an 8 ft rod all the way in the water, but thats a hard position to fish from and left my knees and back sore. Thinking about trying smaller, thinner line and posibly adding some weights a few few feet in front of the bait.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 07:14 PM   #29
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Just a thought, but what if you used a 3/4 oz rattle trap type lure, cast it out and let sink to the bottom. Then start a slow retrieve like slow rolling a spinnerbait with occational pauses and jerks? I would think that would be similar to a large deep crankbait working the bottom.
Old 10-26-11, 08:50 PM   #30
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Just a thought, but what if you used a 3/4 oz rattle trap type lure, cast it out and let sink to the bottom. Then start a slow retrieve like slow rolling a spinnerbait with occational pauses and jerks? I would think that would be similar to a large deep crankbait working the bottom.
Slow rolling a spinnerbait or a big lipless bait were both things that we looked at and tried some in the 2 trips that we fishied these conditions. I can't say that any of us stuck with it long enough to give it a fair shot, but they didn't do any better than the other stuff we tried. I think that with the conditions we saw, it took something that would trigger a reaction bite from those deep fish. They simply would not grab or chase a slow moving bait even if it was dangled in front of them. KVD saw the same situation in early spring at the last classic. One day one, spinner baits were the ticket. They just had to swim a spinner bait by the stumps and were catching bass. On day two, something changed and the bass quit hitting spinnerbaits. KVD was the first to switch to a crankbait and started catching bass by banging the bait into the stumps. His after report stated that the bass were feeding when they were on the spinnerbaits, but they stopped feeding and it took a crankbait to get a reaction bite on day two. I think our lake has been in a non feeding or vey little feeding situation for a while now , possibly due to the turnover and murky conditions of the normally clear water. What we found, and we heard the same thing from other anglers also, was that you could catch a few small bass here and there with some finesse baits. You could get very lucky and put a bait in just the right spot and catch one or two decent fish. You could easilly get skunked. OR, you could use big cranks and catch several nice bass in areas that you could bang the rocks or brush piles at the deep areas. This really set in my mind that the normal reaction to tough conditions, going small and finesse, is not always the best choice. Bass can almost always be made to bite if you can slam a crankbait into an object close to that bass.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 09:02 PM   #31
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

intresting pro. very interesting. daniel and i will try this this weekend.
Old 10-28-11, 05:40 AM   #32
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good info Pro. That’s one of the reasons I like Rapalas Crankin Rap. Fishing it with the thin braid I use lets it get down way deeper than with mono or fluorocarbon. But the real ticket is it’s a different crank…..a lot smaller than the DT-20’s that are being pulled along some of the ledges and creek channels I’m fishing. Easier on my arms too.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.