Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-07-05, 01:58 AM   #1
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY
Default Do they really Live

So here in my area of idaho we catch them pretty deep in the early pre spawn to late summer.
My question to you bass gods are. Â*so when you stab there swim bladder with needle to let the air out. Â*Do they really live after? Â*i mean in the long run?
yes i have done it to many fish in tourney's to get them through the day. Â*yes they seem to do better after. Â*but it would make feel better know Â*that when they turn the fish loose that there not sending out a sore liped gut stabbed fish. Â*i know there are going to die if I don't. Â*
Is there a tip trick or techniues to try first in stead of stabbing them!!! Â*
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 03:15 AM   #2
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl
Default Re: Do they really Live

100% mortality if you don't do that. I can't say that they all live, but the bioligists say to do the needle trick so I'm sure its a pretty good percentage that live afterwords or they wouldn't suggest it. You might try going to www.basszone.com and making a post that has the topic of "question for Gene G" then ask about the needle things mortality rate. He is a regular on that board and also is a senior fisheries bioligist in OK.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 11:06 AM   #3
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

ive never even heard of this tactic please explain?!
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 12:57 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ya ive never heard of it either sounds cruel please explain
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 01:25 PM   #5
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

when u go deeper in water air is compressed tighter and tighter and the air bladder on a fish contains this pressure as they come up the air expands and swells the bladder DEEP water fish like snapper often dont do much fighting becuase as they come up the bladder busts from pressure they puncture bass's air bladder to releave pressure
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 06:53 PM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

Â* Â* For some of you that are not familiar with this problem, it is usually not necessary to relieve the pressure in the swim bladder unless the fish come up from excess of 25 ft. If you are using light line and fight the fish slowly, the swim bladder will probably equalize itself on the way up.
Â* Â* The previous Texas state record bass was caught in 40 ft of water, but that caused no problems because the angler was fishing with #6 lb line and a ultra-lite rod for crappie. Since the line was so light, the angler fought the bass to the surface slowly and did not have any bladder problems.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 07:24 PM   #7
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Never heard of that for bass... just trout.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 08:41 PM   #8
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u

I've seen it happen on rockfish on the west coast. It's wierd looking.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 10:33 PM   #9
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

I saw Jimmy Houston or somebody do this on T.V. one time and it seemed to really help the fish out. Don't remember all of the details. Does anyone know of a site that explains how to do this?
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 11:40 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have done it to trout for years they lived. anit had to do it to bass yet.never heard of a rock going down deep enough to have that happen to it.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 01:49 AM   #11
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

well most of the time in idaho fish and game dept gives you hyperdermic needles and live well water conditioner during the summer time tourneys. Sometimes they give you pretty good paper instructions on how to do it..

you only need to do this if you plan on releasing the fish after its been in your hot live well, all day.. if your gonna consume them you don't need to worry about it but shame on you.. :'(

these fish will tell you when this needs to be done they will be floating on there side or sometimes upside down in your livewell . Some times there eyes will bulg out and if you yanked them from the depths like dill hole there eye will pop out sometime, no joking.
easy-em-up
Trick is to catch them pretty early in these stages

so i'm looking for a web to post but not having much luck right at the moment the best i can explain is.

You take a immaginary line from the back 3rd of there dorsel fin to there belley, then you go about 5 scale rows below there lazer line " fish sensory nerves" and puncture with a hyperdermic needle when you are doing this with a good needle you can see the air bubbles coming out, if you hold them in the H20 while you do this.
just don't poke there nerve lines and try not to beat-up on there skin these are what i consider fish private parts.. :-[
and you need to get a good hospital grade needle around a 22 gauge..

sometimes you see that fish you let let go and new you caught him deep and you look back and he is floating in the lake. go back and try this it may be a confirmed bass save
"i don't know for sure though" thats why i posted this question

if there gut hooked and floating probable do better by eating him.........

hope that explains a little bit more for ya
any insight on this subject i would really apreciate it

Dan
2canbass
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 02:31 PM   #12
Mr.Wiffle
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Wiffle

I was responsible for the "fizzing" of fish at the NH State Tournament. Â*Up here in the east smallmouth are cought throughout Â*the summer and fall in as much as 50 feet of water. Â*During the tournament I fizzed over 150 fish(out of approx 400) and realeased all but 15 alive. Â*Check out the story at www.nhbassfederation.com . Â*Up here in the north we all carry needles to fizz the fish to keep the population constant and ever growing. Mke sure you know what you are doing before you try it. Look at some of teh links above.

mjbfsh07- New Hampshire
Mr.Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 11:33 PM   #13
GeeBeeJim

[quote author=2canbass link=board=news;num=1107752319;start=0#10 date=02/07/05 at 23:49:09]

you only need to do this if you plan on releasing the fish after its been in your hot live well, all day.. Â*if your gonna consume them you don't need to worry about it but shame on you.. :'(

Dan
2canbass[/quote]

I knows what yer sayin Dan. Nuthin turns my stomach quicker then seein a bellyup bass, or even a so called "Sportsman" picture posin with a dead fish !

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.