Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-15-07, 05:35 PM   #26
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Kiethdog your point is well made. Here is the real original deal about red on baits. If my grey matter will work correctly. Back in the 1980 this guy named Loren Hill who was an Itchimologist(spelling) which means fish scientist said that the color red would provoke aggressive behavior in predatory animals. Kind of like a bull seeing red. He also invented a device that measured the amount of light in the water showing the most visiable color in the water for the conditions at the time. The device was called a color selector. he thought color was only a matter of what the fish could see for the depth they were holding. Not all water color is the same and as you increase depth you reduce the amount of light so certain colors go away. It takes a great deal of light to make red.Suddenly pros everywhere were saying they would not fish a lure that didnt have some red on it. Like the red underside near the chin on a crankbait. There was even a plastic lizard that came with a red collar. This may be true when fish are shallow or in very clear water as far as aggressive behavior.
When you consider the facts the gimmick theory holds the most water. It is strictly proffitt driven.
Consider this . How many lures do you have that you never caught a fish on. and what percentage of the lures you have actually catch fish. Most lures are made to catch fishermen not fish. When I started bass fishing worms only came in one color, Black.Texas rigs did not exist. We fished top water year round and caught fish on top water all day long all spring summer and fall. Rods were 2 piece fiberglas and reels were as smooth as sandpaper. We still could fill a hit and caught fish on finesse baits.Fish2win
Old 12-15-07, 05:38 PM   #27
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like red rattle traps in the spring for bass and red treble hooks on my trolling flies for trout species. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 06:26 PM   #28
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

it just really amazes me how people can just outright not read any articles on the color red in underwater photography and form an opinion that red line does not camo itself as it sinks.i can't vouch for red hooks attracting fish but i can tell you they don't hurt.red hooks on a deep diving crank turn black as it dives so they are useless in that case.
Old 12-15-07, 07:16 PM   #29
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
. . .I don't believe fish see much blood in water. Think about it. How much blood do you see when filleting a fish. Not very much. If a bluegill gets an injury from a pike and survives to swim another day, I doubt there is a visible "blood trail" left behind, if any at all. Certainly, there is such a small occurance of this that would train preditory fish such as bass to "look" for signs of blood as a weakness to exploit. . .
Keithdog, You make a good point. It is true however that blood trail attract fish (real ones). It's not because they see the blood, it's because they SMELL it. In some ways, The red lures may be good just because the fish want it. saying it attracts fish is kinds hard to believe.

BB
Old 12-15-07, 08:16 PM   #30
pig n jig

Red is a nice color. P N J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1862  
Old 12-15-07, 11:46 PM   #31
bigbasser

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default red change

If I remember correctly Red turns to Brown at about 15 feet.
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 04:30 PM   #32
keithdog

Ok, pig n jig, thats gonna catch a heck of a lot of bass fisherman, but not a single bass. But I'd rather see her sitting in my boat than my plano jumbo tacklebox anyday.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 07:25 AM   #33
1FASTLASER

Ok here is my take on the red bait theory. As far as the fish scientists are concerned bass see different shades not actual colors..........right? OK we all know that craws at times are red and red is the color of blood so on and so on.....Its confirmed that red is a good choice. Ok now combine the 2 statements............Red is a color and not a shade but bass will see red as a CERTAIN shade that is associated with craws or blood or whatever. Thats my take on the red bait.........The red line dont use it Tried it once and deep sixed the rest of it.
Old 12-18-07, 05:42 PM   #34
bassnman30

I guess the lure turns black as well as the line. I think that I'll go and paint all my deep cranks with black paint.
Old 12-18-07, 06:41 PM   #35
pig n jig

What does red shad look like down deep ? Two toned black ? flip flop black ? double black ? just plain black ? somewhat black ? black on black ? simply black ? black all over ?

I am confused. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 12-18-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-18-07, 06:56 PM   #36
Fish2win

You mean white is black? Fish2win
Old 12-18-07, 07:09 PM   #37
pig n jig

Or would it be considered color absented ?
Old 12-18-07, 10:30 PM   #38
keithdog

This is all beginning to remind me of a line from a Moody Blues song which goes as follows. "Red is gray and yellow white, but you decide which is right, and which is an illusion".
Old 12-19-07, 12:30 AM   #39
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

Red is probably one of the most successful lure colors of all time for all species. Remember the old red/white daredevels, the red head/white body BassOrenos, Lucky 13s, etc....?
Red/white was the 1st choice of most fishermen everywhere for nearly every species up through the 1970's.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 01:15 PM   #40
BigBassin144

Personally, I have never used a red lure. So when we went to the store the other day, I picked up a red Pond Magic Spinnerbait and am going to try it out... when the ice melts...

I would also like to get a red or red crawfish Rat-L-Trap.

We have used red head lures for musky fishing. Haven't caught anything on them though... or any of our musky lures...

BB
Old 12-23-07, 05:12 PM   #41
Fish2win

This exact question was brought up this AM on Oniel Outside on Fox Sports South. His explanation was that Cajun Red line became invisible at 5 feet. The reason was because it is translucient. It obsorbs light instead of reflecting it. He said that past 5 feet you actually were looking through the line. The red Diachi hooks however were visible to a much greater depth, His explanation was that the hooks are opaque hence they reflect light. He then said that the hooks could be seen as deep as 120 ft . Thats when I decided he was full of hocky. I dont think there is any light to reflect in any lake at 120 feet. Fish2win
Old 12-23-07, 06:02 PM   #42
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win View Post
This exact question was brought up this AM on Oniel Outside on Fox Sports South. His explanation was that Cajun Red line became invisible at 5 feet. The reason was because it is translucient. It obsorbs light instead of reflecting it. He said that past 5 feet you actually were looking through the line. The red Diachi hooks however were visible to a much greater depth, His explanation was that the hooks are opaque hence they reflect light. He then said that the hooks could be seen as deep as 120 ft . Thats when I decided he was full of hocky. I dont think there is any light to reflect in any lake at 120 feet. Fish2win
Trout will hit a specific colored lure in water deeper than 120 feet.Don't ask me how the hell they see it, but I have had this happen, more than once.The color was the only difference, the lures were the same brand. My cousin is a diver for the sheriff dept.He said it is pitch black at about 70 feet.Can someone explain how this happens ? P N J
Old 12-23-07, 06:11 PM   #43
BigBassin144

Well, once you get that deep, less light filters through the water. That's why it's darker the deeper you go. It would be like if you have someone completely cover you in a blanket. you would still see light through it, but if they covered you with another one, there would be less light, and so on until you couldn't see anything.

BB
Old 12-23-07, 07:52 PM   #44
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win View Post

depends on water clarity.in lake george in ny you can see clearly to the bottom in 30 feet of water.120 feetdown in lake george there is plenty of light.
Old 12-23-07, 08:40 PM   #45
keithdog

Painting your deep cranks black might not be a bad idea bassnman. And your right Pig N Jig. Trout, and salmon both can be very particular when it comes to color even in deeper waters. I don't know why, but it's true. My guess is that despite what scientists tell us, there is more to fish eyesight than what is normally accepted today by so called experts. Myself, I believe fish probably do see colors, not just shades of gray. I don't have any proof, but I believe it. My father in law fished lake Michigan for 30 years before he departed for the big lake in the sky. And one of his favorite and most productive lures was a black spoon with silver highlights. He killed the trout and salmon with that, fishing down with downriggers in depths of 50+ depths.
Old 12-24-07, 10:51 AM   #46
pig n jig

Keithdog,The reason I know its the color. The lures are made of plastic from a injected mold.They are all molded the same, where as a metal spoon could be bent a bit to give off a different vibration.The #421 purple coe seems to edge out other colors most of the time here, the #428 coyote is very good as well. I am not sure why one color will outperform another at a given time.The thing I like to do when I get these are use a 20# seaguar fluorocarbon leader material and a size 6 treble hook on them. P N J http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...178&hasJS=true

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.