Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-22-12, 10:03 PM   #26
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
That's why I think being able to skip is so valuable. You are reaching fish that most people aren't able to get to. I agree that in most cases you can use boat position to find openings in trees. But when it comes to docks that is not a luxury that you have very often. I say this because I am talking about skipping baits in the openings between the flotation foam, and getting the bait several feet in the shade under the dock. No matter how you position the boat most of the time you only have one angle to get the bait into this hole from and the opening is usually pretty small, like maybe a foot squared. Guys who flipped that dock ahead of you might have just flipping to the edge of this opening because they can't skip. But you can get the bait several feet closer to fish hiding under the dock if you can skip it in there.

I don't know about Kansas laws. But I know that in Missouri and Oklahoma, Marinas can post no fishing signs all they want but there is nothing they can do to keep you from fishing their dock. The exception is that Missouri has a law stating that you cannot fish within so many feet of a gas dock. I am not saying to stir up a hornets nest by fishing the marina docks anyways, although you could if you wanted to. Marina docks are not the only ones on the lake that I skip baits under (or at least try to). In fact I have several favorite docks on Grand and not a single one of them is at a Marina. usually the oldest most rundown docks is the ones I want to fish because generally there is more cover under these docks.

Cool, you practice your skipping and digging out backlashes, I'll be catchin fish.
Old 03-22-12, 10:35 PM   #27
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Cool, you practice your skipping and digging out backlashes, I'll be catchin fish.
And I will come right along behind you and catch all the ones that you left for me.
Old 03-22-12, 10:39 PM   #28
Tavery5

Quote:
And I will come right along behind you and catch all the ones that you left for me.
No doubt
Old 03-22-12, 11:05 PM   #29
Tavery5

Here is a good article on skipping for those of you who want to work on your skilz.

http://www.bassfan.com/tips_article.asp?ID=147

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/skipping.html

Last edited by Tavery5; 03-22-12 at 11:12 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 09:23 AM   #30
MississippiBoy

Tony, I'm trying to figure out if you're being tongue-in-cheek, or if you really think that skipping a bait has no benefit.
Do you really think that getting a lure farther back underneath a dock or branch or overhang is useless? Then why bother pitching? To me, skipping a lure (which I haven't done much, but can see the benefit) is basically the same approach as pitching, just taking it a little farther....you've got something in the way, preventing a normal cast, so you try to get underneath it. I don't see a problem with that....
Old 03-23-12, 12:03 PM   #31
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Tony, I'm trying to figure out if you're being tongue-in-cheek, or if you really think that skipping a bait has no benefit.
Do you really think that getting a lure farther back underneath a dock or branch or overhang is useless? Then why bother pitching? To me, skipping a lure (which I haven't done much, but can see the benefit) is basically the same approach as pitching, just taking it a little farther....you've got something in the way, preventing a normal cast, so you try to get underneath it. I don't see a problem with that....

I'm not being tongue in cheek, I do not see where that style casting would be all that useful. I have watched 100's of fishing tournaments on TV, never seen even 1 min of anyone skipping baits, have fished for more than 40 years with 100's of different people with different skill levels, never seen any of them with the need to skip a bait.

I see the winners of Elite, FLW, Open and local tournaments, I have never heard one of them say that I won the tournament skipping baits.

Is is cool, yes, is it likely to cause you severe backlashes and waste allot of time, yes.

If I was ever in a position where it was the only method that I could reach the fish, I would use a spinning reel, it just seems like a flashy way to get the same job done you could do any number of other ways.

If it's something you have learned to do well, I say use it, but I would not tell a single person, that you need to get out there and practice your skipping, I would instead tell them to spend their time learning their electronics, learning to pitch or flip better, tie better knots, just seems to me that there is allot better ways to spend your time.
Old 03-23-12, 03:41 PM   #32
WTL

Quote:
I'm not being tongue in cheek, I do not see where that style casting would be all that useful. I have watched 100's of fishing tournaments on TV, never seen even 1 min of anyone skipping baits, have fished for more than 40 years with 100's of different people with different skill levels, never seen any of them with the need to skip a bait.

I see the winners of Elite, FLW, Open and local tournaments, I have never heard one of them say that I won the tournament skipping baits.

Is is cool, yes, is it likely to cause you severe backlashes and waste allot of time, yes.

If I was ever in a position where it was the only method that I could reach the fish, I would use a spinning reel, it just seems like a flashy way to get the same job done you could do any number of other ways.

If it's something you have learned to do well, I say use it, but I would not tell a single person, that you need to get out there and practice your skipping, I would instead tell them to spend their time learning their electronics, learning to pitch or flip better, tie better knots, just seems to me that there is allot better ways to spend your time.
I tend to agree, the risk of backlashing is fairly great and on the whole, skipping baits does not really give one the value on margin to make it worth practicing it as if it were an essential skill.

Its value to me is as a cool trick, that I try every now and then when I come up on a specific peice of cover that really calls for it. And even then, I just count on getting 1 or 2 skips, not 4-8 skips, because the difference between a perfectly placed cast and a perfectly hopeless backlash is razor thin.
Old 03-23-12, 04:11 PM   #33
bassboogieman

I saw TWO guys skipping with baitcasters just the other day. They were skipping down the road with a baitcaster in one hand, their otherr hands linked together. Had to have been gay.

As far as skipping with a baitcaster - personally I don't bother, it's way to difficult for me and a spinning rod does just as well with no backlash issues.
This technique has it's purpose, not just docks but for getting baits back in under an overhanging tree, where you just can't make a normal cast.

As to Tony's point about not seeing the pro's doing it, they do when it's required. I was at a Bassmaster Univ. seminar several years ago and Woo Davis did a presentation on it.

You won't see it on TV much, because most of those are open water/ledge, bridge piling or more often grass or punching vegatation. Many televised tournaments don't involve fishing docks or overhanging trees, etc where this technique is very useful. Those tournaments are scheculed during the time of year, when big bass are catchable and the water suits TV.

Those of us who are just regular anglers, don't travel to the huge impoundments that the pro's fish. We have different circumstances, and fish the same water all year long. Skipping can be a very useful skill, again depending upon your most commonyly fished waters.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 09:31 PM   #34
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

if you can skip without backlash then you've really mastered a baitcaster imo. it really tests your thumb skills to its limits. there's a video (i'll try to find it) out there where they completely remove the brakes from a baitcaster & skip a bait under overhangs all the way to shore. it's really an awesome skill of the thumb for sure. the video said in addition to casting to hard to reach areas, skipping also mimics a fleeing baitfish. which made sense to me. sort of like a buzzbait except you can pretty much use any lure.

i believe there are vids of aaron marten skipping under docks. it might be a more popular thing to do in japan tournaments then the states?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 10:00 PM   #35
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

Are you saying that you don't see any value in being able to get a bait into areas where other anglers haven't fished? Just because you haven't seen or heard of any pros skipping baits doesn't mean that it's not a good technique or for that matter it doesn't mean that none of them do it. Gerald Swindle is actually known for skipping boat docks.

How many pros have won tournaments on the Jika Rig? But still I think you and I will agree that it's a very good technique.

Are you likely to get backlashes in the begining? Yes, but after you get better at it the backlashes are fewer and farther between. If we didn't do stuff that caused backlashes I would bet that we all would still be using spincast reels because we would have gave up on using baitcasters when we first started using them.

Spinning reels are a very good tool for skipping some baits. But unfortunatley there are some baits that you would not want to fish on spinning gear. For example I like skipping swim jigs, and I don't see that working too well on spinning gear. And I don't see how there are any other ways to get a bait into an area that you cannot reach without skipping, like underneath a dock. I'm not talking about under the roof and in the slip, I am talking about into a small opening and back under the dock. There is no other way to get a bait into there and that is why skipping is so valuable in my opinion. I don't really skip baits to anything besides docks for the most part, but it's nice knowing that if I can skip a bait into a small hole and back under the dock, I might be getting a bait infront of a fish that has not seen a bait all day even though I might be the 50th guy to hit that same dock.

I agree that there are a lot more important things than being able to skip a bait. But if it's something that you can learn then I would also say that it's a nice weapon to have. For that matter I would tell someone to learn all the things you mentioned above, before learning to flip or pitch. Flipping and pitching isn't a must have technique just like skipping, but it's certainly a great way to catch fish that might be in places that you can't cast to.
This is how I look at it.
Old 03-23-12, 11:35 PM   #36
keithdog

Quote:
Here is a good article on skipping for those of you who want to work on your skilz.

http://www.bassfan.com/tips_article.asp?ID=147

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/skipping.html
Those are good reads . Thanks for sharing them.
Old 03-24-12, 12:37 AM   #37
Tavery5

Quote:
This is how I look at it.

It's all good dude, we just don't see things the same way. I hope someday that skipping a bait actually pays off for you. In the mean time I will work on things that I find far more valuable to me.
Old 03-24-12, 10:19 PM   #38
keithdog

Well, after this fishing slowed a bit today I decided to do a little practice skipping. I'm not saying I've decided not to mess with it again, as I know I will, but man oh man, it is an excercise in frustration! haha
Old 03-27-12, 11:26 PM   #39
Tavery5

I was looking at jigs and come across these, for those of you who want to try this casting technique, these jigs might be helpful.

I can see where the head design and line tie position would be beneficial for skipping.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/All_T...html#multiview
Old 03-28-12, 07:25 AM   #40
keithdog

Quote:
I was looking at jigs and come across these, for those of you who want to try this casting technique, these jigs might be helpful.

I can see where the head design and line tie position would be beneficial for skipping.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/All_Terrain_Tackle_Skip_N_Jig/descpage-ATSKIPJ.html#multiview
I can see where they would be helpful. I'd be tempted to replace the skirt for a soft plastic too, maybe like a beaver style bait.
Old 03-29-12, 11:49 AM   #41
3dkicker

I've learned to skip a jig over the years and it has paid off for me but it's rare that I use it. If you don't have the right gear and correct settings on your reel it will be very frustrating for you. An easier bait to skip that catches a lot of fish is a Senko and I'll start with that first before I go to the jig.
Old 03-29-12, 01:19 PM   #42
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

keith, when you're skipping a jig most of the time guys of look the shape of the jig, I fish tons of docks an can skip jigs up under boat houses and mess and that really gives me an advantage. I use hand tied jigs that have a flatter skip head and that makes it skip way better, also having a rod with a good tip allows you to put it where you want it
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 03:41 PM   #43
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Buy a good quality spincast reel such as the low profile omega and skipity doo dah, skipity day.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 06:02 PM   #44
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Buy a good quality spincast reel such as the low profile omega and skipity doo dah, skipity day.
Have one and yes, it's much easier!
Old 04-03-12, 09:48 AM   #45
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Different anglers say different anglers will have different methods for pitching. The video with Tim Cline he recommends setting the tension knob loose and I heard others like brakes off. It’s going to be practice. When I started to just practice flippin n pitchin in the house or backyard it got easier…..only thing is you need to be on the water to practice skipping. I will say this while I’m trying to get it down I still skip with my spinning setup
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 07:17 PM   #46
ZX18Skeeter
BassFishin.Com Member

hi, i'm new here. Try skipping with the spool 3/4 filled. it works
ZX18Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.