Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-21-05, 09:34 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 5 Best and the 5 Worst

So what ya think over the last few decades are improvements to bass fishing
or just total waste of time
A few that come to mind on the best side
1. Line...seems like it stronger, thinner, variety of braids and mono
2.. TV Shows that no longer show some fat cat catching hawgs all day,
but now show competition that outlines the thinking process of figuring the
pattern as well as show the excitement of the catch
3. Forums like this, and the Internet
4. More realistic plastics with scent additives
5. Smoother equipment to fish with,,better reels, stronger rods, bass boats that
are state of the art.

A few come to mind on the Worst Side
1. Flying Lure .....lol
2. Whiz Bang, sure it works , but who the hell can find one?
3. The endless mesmerizing of bass shows that hypnotize us into buy the new and latest lure, no wait , thats a Good thing lmao
4. Clowns that catch and don't release, or up the weight of any fish by double
or, bring home a stringer and never fillet it, what a waste..
5. ski boats and wave runner..should be on the top but just now rememered

Any one else have thier own 5n 5...and i dont mean Arbys
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 09:47 PM   #2
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Great topic

5 Best

1. Conservation laws, we wouldnt have bass to catch or clean water to fish in with out it
2. Technology- definetly has made fishin easier
3. Bass research-- We have learned a phenominal amount about these fish
4. A President that is a sportsman-- getting federal funding
5. Television and Internet-- has made this sport even more popular

5 Worst

1. Poachers
2. Polluters
3. Invasive species
4. Droughts
5. GAS PRICES
nb122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 09:50 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

C´mon the Flying Lure isn´t THAT bad, how about the Helicopter Lure ?......hey the Walking Worm is also in the infamous "most undesirable" list
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 09:51 PM   #4
JB

Lightbulb

Those are some great points there NB and Raul, ya got your thinkin cap on tonight
Old 07-22-05, 04:07 PM   #5
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Best
1. Lure selection. Every kind of lure you can think of is made. Plus more.
Worst
1. Idiots in expensive rigs that have the nerve to run all over you.
2. Fishing pressure

Thats all I can think of right now.
Old 07-22-05, 05:19 PM   #6
Bass101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bass101
Default best and worst

Best
1. lure selection
2. pole strength and flexibility
3. technology as far as motors, fish finders, depth finders, and gps
4. reels
5. internet for availability of lures, ect.

worst
1. when you hit a school of fish and there's about 3 or so boats trolling through it, but all staying in line until some new jerk off shows up and decides he has to troll from a different side as everyone else, then everyone has to stop and let him pass through, then he does it again. ****ing *** hole
2. dumb asses that over fish small ponds
3. other dumb asses that keep every single fish regardless of size
4. rookie know it alls
5. home shopping network lures
Bass101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-05, 06:02 PM   #7
HulaPopr

BEST
1. New technology as in motors, depth finders and such
2. BASS saturdays on ESPN
3. Conservation laws keeping lakes in good condition
4. Availability of lures and all that stuff
5. Internet making it easy to learn

WORST
1. Idiots who don't know the meaning of catch and release (I saw 2 7lb bass fileted ona bank a week ago...made me cry almost)
2. Other idiots who way overfish a pond and ruin the body of water
3. More idiots who don't know what a trash can is and throw all their junk anywhere they feel like it
4. Over development of florida polluting a bunch of good bodies of water and killing off species.
5. Idiots like Mike Ike who are trying to make the sport look like something that it isn't.
6. Kids who caught a bass once and think they know everything and are a**holes to anyone that actually does know anything.... I know a few.
7. Invasive species, almost forgot
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-05, 06:22 PM   #8
Mac1

Best....
1. More sensative lines
2. Graphite Rods
3. The Advent of the Senko and it's clones
4. Charlie Brewer and his Slider Technique
5. Speedworm in watermelon/red rigged weightless and fished slo-fall
6. Jack Chandler's Do Nothing Worm....a predesessor to the Senko
7. Zooms new bait, the modified brush hog now called the Super Hog
8. Wide angle fish finders
9. Quieter trolling motors
10. 4 Stroke engines

Worst.....
1. Inconsiderate boaters on the waters...
2. Littering
3. Slowing down others at the ramp
4. Foul language in the presence of children
5. Not disposing of used line properly injuring wildlife and fouling trolling motors...
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-05, 06:50 PM   #9
JB

Man, you guys are all hitting home with these comments ,they are dead on!
Old 07-23-05, 09:51 AM   #10
Fish2win

Guys all the things that have been mentioned are true they are either improvments or they are negatives. I have mixed emotions about one thing.
At what point do scent enhanced lures become like using live bait?
I do us them. But think about it. There are the Berkley scented baits and the Yum with LPT. Back in the 60's when I first fished a plastic worm as they were called in those days. they were fished on a lead head and had no enhancement either mechanical or scent. They still caught an increadable number of fish.
I suppose that fishing pressure ,catch and release and enviromental conditioning have made it necassary to come up with additional strike triggering properties buy again at what time do they rival live bait?
I use them but have very mixed emotions. What do you think? Fish2win
Old 07-23-05, 11:54 AM   #11
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win
Guys all the things that have been mentioned are true they are either improvments or they are negatives. I have mixed emotions about one thing.
At what point do scent enhanced lures become like using live bait?
I do us them. But think about it. There are the Berkley scented baits and the Yum with LPT. Back in the 60's when I first fished a plastic worm as they were called in those days. they were fished on a lead head and had no enhancement either mechanical or scent. They still caught an increadable number of fish.
I suppose that fishing pressure ,catch and release and enviromental conditioning have made it necassary to come up with additional strike triggering properties buy again at what time do they rival live bait?
I use them but have very mixed emotions. What do you think? Fish2win
I dunno. To me the scent enhancements are more like using a softer plastic for better action. It makes the bait a little better but it's still not alive.

You mentioned fishing worms back in the 60's. I know alot of guys dumped anise oil on their worms back then.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 12:05 PM   #12
JB

Naw its just a smell,

A real alive bait breathes, moves feels pain etc lol
Old 07-23-05, 02:42 PM   #13
ROBZILLA

5 OF THE BEST

1. I think slot sizes on chosen lakes are a good idea. This will help rejuvenate the fish count in these much deserving lakes.

2. The ever ending selection in lures,plastics and overall product lines which most companies have. including rods,reels.... and so forth.

3. Knowledge base, Ie internet and newer programing and illustrated books that we didn't have back when.

4. Stronger line, not only landing more fish in the boat without snapping line, but also saving more lures that would have been lost on crappy line.(braided line was a GOD send)

5. Better boats not only have boat design been more comfortable and safer, you also get to your fishing hole a lot quicker now. Taking on comming waves is alot easier now. Trolling motors instead of rowing so you wont spook the fish. (LIVE WELLS) these are just some of the thing I think that have come along way. And there are many more I just didn't write down.

5 OF WORST

1. Chineese fishermen that keep everything they catch is probably the worst thing in fishing today!

2. Not banning lead all over the world. We as humans put at least 3 dump trucks worth of lead in our lakes each year! This is not cool by any means!

3. Allowing Native Americans to gill net fish! We are all in the modern time and they no longer live in WIG WHAMS so if they want to live in a house and drive a car then you don't need to live off the land and kill the ever so depleting fish stocks.

4. The fishermen who litter when they go fishing! I'ts no too hard to clean up after one's self when your out fishing. Rule of thumb "what ever you take out with ya ,bring back with ya!"

5. There is not enough hot chicks fishing! I think we should spread the word to all the hot chicks that fishing is fun! and maybe they could go topless and get a tan while they are doing it? This is my ever ending quest!

Robby.
Old 07-23-05, 02:59 PM   #14
Mac1

Fish2Win

I can't see that scents are bad, often they simply cover up (mask) other undesireable scents. I don't believe in the scent trail theory, but rather being an enticement once the bass grabs on to the lure. If this is so, the bass already has the lure in its mouth with the intent of doing great bodily harm and the taste/scent just keeps him hanging on. The lure, in essence, has already been attacked.

Live bait, on the other hand, is a misnomer in my opinion......as very few live baits used for bait remain alive for any lengthy period. The worms drown, the minnows die, the crawfish eventually succomb on their own having been impailed on the hook. True, a rare few may survive the ordeal, but as a rule they generally don't.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 03:20 PM   #15
suuuperbass
BassFishin.Com Member

five best
1. all the shows
2.conservation laws
3. walleye fishin is good this year so it v=can take some stress off of me not catchin bass
4. better soft plastics
5.the better patterns for cranks

five worst
1.carp
2.bluegail
3.polluters
4.snags
5.the stupid homos who keep everyting they catch
sincerely,
the walleye fisherman
suuuperbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 07:20 PM   #16
HulaPopr

superbass,
I can't agree with you on the idea that luegill are a big problem with bass fishing. At least they are native to the water around here even though they are annoying. I'm more worried about non-natives with no predators in the area, such as snakeheads.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 08:23 PM   #17
JB

Don't forget that bluegill forage is what many bass eat all year long, there necessary in the food chain. In bigger lakes the shad takes that role, but for many a pond angler, the sun fish and others that spawn are important to the bass's diet including crawfish, frogs, and insects.
Old 07-24-05, 01:54 PM   #18
basser_37
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basser_37

1.Line-Braid immediately comes to mind, although i think it could be improved by alot. Flourocarbon and the progression of mono are great too.
2.Boats,motors,and electronics-Let's face it:the motors of yesteryear sucked compared to the Mercury EFI's, Verado's, Yamaha V-max's and the evinrude e-tec's. The 4 stroke outboard itself it great. Same with the new electronics, which are going farther than ever before. Every year, the boats get more and more accessories on them.
3.Soft Plastics-tubes, the Senko,brush hogs, flukes, these things changed the way the average angler fishes bass considerably.
4.Catch and release-this alone has made fishing so much better to the average bank fisherman to the Tour pro.
5.BASS-Ray Scott elevated the status of the bass in America and he's the reason bass fishing is one of the biggest things in all of fishing.
Old 07-24-05, 02:18 PM   #19
suuuperbass
BassFishin.Com Member

wwell they do eat the bass eggs
suuuperbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 05:25 PM   #20
rrw4258

Whenever I try to fish live bait any time of year, the stupid gills git to it first before the bass even have a chance.
Old 07-24-05, 05:32 PM   #21
suuuperbass
BassFishin.Com Member

tht is why i rig a worm so that it is on the hook and have a tail off cast it out and retrieve it and you will have a ball with all those bass
Old 10-01-05, 10:32 PM   #22
Gotcha7
BassFishin.Com Member

[B]Best:

Catch and Release
Equipment
[B]True Sportsman- True sportsman practice catch and release and dont abuse the environment or the fish.
Livewells
Tv Shows[/B]

Worst:

People who take large bass home for the dinner table. Those fish fuel the population.
Tv lures
PETA- They need to mind their own damn business and stay out of the proud fishing lifestyle.
Gotcha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 10:45 PM   #23
Gotcha7
BassFishin.Com Member

Best:

1.Catch & Release
2.Equipment
3.Tv shows that give tips and techniques
4.Sensible Anglers- anglers who practice catch and release and dont abuse the environment or the fish.

Worst:

1.When people take large bass home for the dinner table. Don't they know that those fish fuel the population.
2.Tv lures
3.PETA- those morons need to mind their own damn business and stay out of the proud fishing lifestyle.
Gotcha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 01:31 PM   #24
zooker

best
1 rods
2 reels
3 line -even if it is mono it is better than that stiff easy busting stuff we used to use.
4 graphs-they have come a long way from the green box
5 gps -hands down best idea to come along in a long long time..
worst
1 SKI BOATS is it me or are there more of these idiots every year.
2 basicly any asian and or mexican sure they use the fish they just have no idea what a size limit is or for..
3 crowds the lakes and water ways are full of poeople on any weekend during the summer. causing one angler to state it is like fishing down the side of the interstate highway. gets plum crazy out there.
4 GAS -kind glad it takes $20 bucks to fill up my small boat for a days fishing..
5 price on tungstung tackle is just plain stupid.. $3.00 for 2 1/8 oz bullet sinkers...

as i am 3/4 red stick my self my opinion of native american's and there RIGHT by law to fish as they see fit. could take up some major league time and space. and this is NOT the time nor the place..

zooker
Old 10-02-05, 06:49 PM   #25
River stumps

I'm from the old school before the Roland Martins, Bill Dances and those that sell the modern day bait enhancements. Those guys are fun to watch, and they are good demonstrators and teachers of the sport, and they do a good job for the Cos. that make these modern day products, they are also good bass fisherman, and I give them credit for taking advantage of a situation and doing the thing that they love to do... I caught just as many bass Back in the 50s and 60s as I do now. And I might add that I caught just as many large bass back in those days before all the salt impregnated worms and bait enhancements that we have today... And keep in mind that Mr Perry caught the worlds record large mouth about 70 years ago with no bait inhancement or mono line and no modern day tackle. The creek chub has fizzled out and people have quit fishing it, altho I have some creek chubs, and I still use them and I catch fish with them. The Jitterbug is one of the best topwater baits that anyone can use to catch bass on topwater, and I also catch my share of bass with them. But I also have all the new modern baits that have come out over years and have been just as sucessful with the new stuff. I admit that the equipment is better now than then. The rods, reels and tackle are far better now than they were when Mr. Perry caught his extra large hawg. So, I don't believe the baits are any better now. But I will give a thumbs up for the modern day tackle. And bye the way, my eating habbits haven't changed over the past decades. I still like country ham and apple pies that my Mom used to bake. So I don't think the Bass has changed his eating habits, he will eat just about anything you throw at him with or with out the taste inhancements... "Happy fishing".

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.