Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-24-06, 06:44 PM   #1
jasonR
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What tactic are you the strongest with? Weakest?

So what is your strong point when it comes to bass fishing? Would you say you are a spinnerbait guy, jig guy, etc? And what would you say you need work on?

I am working on becoming more well rounded. My weak point is stained water....muddy water to be exact.

How about you?
Old 10-24-06, 06:48 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I'd say im good on crankbaits, rattletraps, and spinnerbaits, buzzbaits.
what i do need to work on are soft plastics!! sometimes it just gets to me, when im sitting there S-L-O-W-L-Y working a worm and getting no hits. but i have been doing them lately and i htink im getting better
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 07:34 PM   #3
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

strong point- plastics, spinnerbaits, inline spinners
weak point-cranks, topwater, jigs
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 07:55 PM   #4
skeeter944

i love plastic worms! whether i fish them weightless,texas rig,carolina rig,dropshot,split shot,shakey head,and wacky, i catch and will continue to catch bass,no matter where i am fishing or the conditions. i also love spinnerbaits,and will fish these until i find the bass and then switch to my soft plastics to get the less aggresive fish. i need to work on jigs,cranks,and topwaters. but this is only my second year of fishing,so i think i will come along eventually.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 07:58 PM   #5
crankybait

well, i do think i recently got the wacky rig, the senko type fishing down. The patience is good as well. My bad spots? late hooksets, bad choices, and spinnerbaits is a big one
Old 10-24-06, 08:04 PM   #6
ironman

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Strongest-spoons,spinnerbaits,ribbontail worms

Weakest-plastics,topwater,cranks,jigs
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 08:20 PM   #7
pig n jig

Jigs are what I count on to produce the majority of my fish.The trouble I have is on the calm cloudy overcast days, when the fish are scattered.I struggle putting a limit in the boat, I am better at catching fish on overcast days when there is windy conditions, or a heavy rain, but I really have to work at it compared to the calm bright sunny days where I can catch a limit of good fish with the jig in a small amount of time. I have a habit of buying too many new lure types.I have to take more time to figure out how to better use them, Most lures I have a limited knowledge on when they will work for me. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 08:23 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I need to work on everything LOL. I would say plastics are my strong suit, but I'm decent with just about everything. My biggest issue is usually finding the fish. If I find them I can catch them.

Lizards
Old 10-24-06, 08:45 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Jigging spoons in deep, cold water. Everything else I can at least catch something on. My strength is probably weightless soft plastics.

That said, I can always get better regardless what technique I'm using, and as I have said before, the day I stop learning is the day I hang up my rods.
Old 10-24-06, 08:53 PM   #10
jasonR
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes and it IS all about learning. I have had many baits that I was at one time, an expert in my own mind on. When I first started bassin' in Southern Ca, I thought I was the splitshot king. Then came dartheads and yamamoto jigs. Then when I was fishing out in Az, I went thru phases. For a while, I did a lot of damage with a 1/4oz trap. Then it was the yamamoto jig again. Then came the dropshot. spoons. And on and on. I think I have a lot of strong points, I have faith in a butt-ton of ways to catch them. Lately, I am wanting to learn the shakey head, and trying to have faith in stained water, since I am used to and more comfy fishing the clear stuff.
I am headed out Saturday morning to a heavily pressured lake during a big tournament (not fishing the T) to see if I can catch them with the shakey head and dropshot. Should be interesting.
Old 10-24-06, 09:57 PM   #11
skeeter944

which lake jason? i might could help you out.
Old 10-24-06, 10:25 PM   #12
jasonR
BassFishin.Com Member

Its wateree. 34 miles from my house. Also, I just realized I cant spell Tactic...or whatever....I still dont think that's right.
Any info you wan tto share would be great. I have a few things I have found out there I can share with you as well.
J
Old 10-24-06, 10:43 PM   #13
skeeter944

ok,cool! i have never been to wateree,so i cant help you out. i do go to clark hill alot and lake murray very often. i have a tourney at murray nov.18.
Old 10-24-06, 11:37 PM   #14
KDHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

my strong point is soft plastics, shallow fishing
my weak points are structure fishing, and deep fishing

My favorite is texas rigged, soft plastics and weightless soft plastics.
KDHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 07:53 AM   #15
fishinfortune
BassFishin.Com Active Member

my strong point is shallow water like 2-3 ft . im good with all plastics rigged every way.i ve got good at cranks and rat traps this last year. But im the KING of scum frogs

my weak point is jigs ,spoons ,and deep diving cranks
fishinfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 04:03 PM   #16
islandbass

I hope not to confuse being strong and weak vs. enjoying employing a technique. For example I love working soft plastics but I am weakest with them and with the exception of drop shotting, they have accounted for less than 5 catches since I started fishing 2 seasons ago.

My forte applications are: Spoons, Inline Spinners, Crankbaits and Topwater poppers) Jigging as in jigging spoons and darts and buzzbombs and not jig and trailer) crankbaits, and dropshotting.

Weaknesses: Many! Jig and trailer, Buzz and Spinnerbaits and all other soft plastics. The first three methods I have yet to catch a bass with soft plastic catches are few and far between.

With that said, I think part of my problem is I am stuck to fishing from very limited bank access and so many times I don't have the opportunity to fish optimum cover and structure. It sucks but that's my reality. Sometimes it's more a game of hoping to catch vs. fishing to catch.
Old 10-25-06, 05:30 PM   #17
zooker

i have finally gotten to a well rounded angler the pnj WAS my only stumblin block.

probly my weakest area is fishing in cold water..

zooker
Old 10-25-06, 06:41 PM   #18
keithdog

My strong points for sure are spinnerbaits and crankbaits. However I'm pretty good with a jig n pig, and weedless spoons in the lilly pads. shallow water plastics I seem pretty good at, but deep water plastic fishing, like carolina rigs, drop shotting, and plastic worms in water deeper than 10 foot or so I have trouble catching fish with. Just started using the carolina rig though this fall. My biggest headache is using a buzz bait. Have yet to even get a hit on one. I know they work, but I thin k I'm jinxed.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 07:37 PM   #19
FlyRod

Strong with: Topwater...a born killer when there's any reasonable bite.
Wacky, be it worm or Tiki
Woims, T-rigged, ditto Tiki
OK with spinner and buzz. Used to have a rep as a spinnerbait studmuffin. Oh well.
Pretty salty with dropshot, slider, and working on shaky head.
OK with lipless and cranks, just don't particularly like them, especially big cranks. Them suckers hurt!
Weak on: Jig 'n Peeg, Critters (Flitching and Pipping...did I say that right?...mostly due to lakes fished most often and enjoyment of other techniques.)
Have never deep-jigged spoons.
Learning the art of froggin' and toadin'.
Toying with Chatterbaits.

Great with hand grenades and Rotenone(TM).

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 07:56 PM   #20
ToPwAt'R GuY

Stong points-topwater,plastics,jigs,spinnerbaits,shallow-deep cranks,and figuring out cold fronts.

Weakpoints-chatterbaits and rattletraps.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 09:09 PM   #21
Bender

I think that I have learned a lot with the JnP this year, but I still have a lot to learn. Maybe my only strong suit is top water and ultra-lite with soft plastics and jerk baits.
Weak: basically everything. I am especially disappointed with the drop-shot.
I think the bigeest thing is to fish slower for me, but it is hard!

Last edited by Bender; 10-26-06 at 08:36 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 10:43 PM   #22
Jolly

Strongest - dropshot, wacky, carolina rig, jig
weakest- cranks, spinnerbaits - throw em for 20 minutes and lose two or three to trees because of wind, cut em off and put on a soft plastic while cursing under my breathe!

Jolly
Old 10-28-06, 07:43 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

I feel that I can catch fish with just about anything they want. I definatley need to work on 2 techniques more than others, that being carolina rigging and drop shotting. But I have to say that up until recently I havent had carolina or dropshotting water available to me therefore they where my weakest points up till now. Having a home this close to Bull shoals and Norfolk and similar lakes I NEED to sharpen these skills.
Old 10-29-06, 11:27 AM   #24
Fish2win

Locally among my peers I am considered a spinnerbait fisherman, I fish them day and night, build them and have won numerous local tournaments with them over the last 25 years. I feel that I fish a jig or plastics well and do well with various topwater baits. Personally I think ,my biggest weakness is with crankbaits. I have had very good days with cranks and have won a couple of local tournaments with them. I just dont have the confidence in my cranking ability that i would like to have. I also feel I need more work in the winter with the Float n Fly. Fish2win
Old 10-29-06, 11:42 AM   #25
FlyRod

Uhhhhhh...Fish2win... re your siggie.

It's *"AppalacHian"...heh! But you are not a Hillwilliam!

FR

*See: Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.