Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-08-06, 10:25 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default hook ups

i have been fishing weightless worms alot and i keep gut hooking fish. i cant feel when the bass has taken the worm past the hook point as well as i can with a weighted plastic worm. does this happen to yall alot? how can i fix it? i can feel when they first take it cause they tap it and then they play with it,so i give them line until the line is tight,then set the hook. thanks in advance!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-06, 11:02 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Unfortunately that happens all too often. I've found using a smaller hook like a Gammy wide gap finesse hook makes it possible to remove the hook even when it is deeply hooked.
Old 05-09-06, 08:26 AM   #3
flbassman

Ya, this is a problem sometimes. Gut hooked one the other day, felt bad, tore it up getting the hook out, but I think it was gonna live. Threw it back, it stayed on the surface for a little bit, then, as it was diving, an eagle came over my shoulder and grabbed it. It was cool. Anyway, Is it better to cut the hook, or take it out?
Old 05-09-06, 08:43 AM   #4
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I don't know for sure, but maybe switching to a braided line when fishing on the fly like that may increase your line sensitivity factor and you maybe able to feel more of those light hits???? If I catch a fish like that, 9 out of 10 times, I'll just cut the hook off the line and let the fish's enzimes dispose of the hook. I hardly ever try to dig out a hook, I believe it cause's too much stress on the fish. I like Reb's idea of switching to a smaller hook too, that sounds like it would be helpful in this situation.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 12:24 PM   #5
skeeter944

thanks,guys! i usually just cut the line at the hook when i gut hook them. i don't really have a problem detecting the bites when they first hit it or pull on it, i just cant tell when they have it in their mouth all the way.they seem to play with it in there mouth for a while,like they will tap it and then try to run off with it,but when i put tension on the line,they seem to tap it more,but the tension decreases on the line. thanks again!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 12:34 PM   #6
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It will sometimes happen, but Hold the line between your fingers for better feel and watch your line closely.
Old 05-09-06, 03:46 PM   #7
bassnman30

You should cut the line at a minimum of 6 inches from the hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.