Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-12, 07:23 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Mepps Spinners For Bass

This past summer, while out west I got to do a lot of multi-species angling.

One lure that I found was very effective in rivers were #4 Mepps spinners, I used one with a chartruse blade and landed steelhead and some nice trout.

On my way back through Alabama, I continued to use the mepps on a smallmouth stream and found it a pretty decent lure for smallmouth in current.

I always thought of this as a yankee lure, but how many of you guys use Mepps for bass?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010024.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	8188
Steelhead, Clackamas river

Name:	P1010006.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	8189
Rainbow, Clackamas river

Name:	a (35).jpg
Views:	621
Size:	501.7 KB
ID:	8190
Coastal Cutthroat Trout, Wilson River

Last edited by WTL; 09-07-12 at 07:37 PM. Reason: thread was useless without pics
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-12, 07:38 PM   #2
keithdog

I still have several Billy. And yes, they catch all kinds of fish. The main reason I don't use them more than I do is because they hang up so badly in and around weeds. But they do catch fish! The #5 white Mepps was my dads favorite. He called it Whitey. But the #2 brown squirrel aglia Mepps with a silver blade, man oh man, did he catch a LOT of largemouths on that. You just may have me worked up to getting out and throwing a few again. They work well after the sun goes down too!
Old 09-07-12, 09:05 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've always thought of a Mepps as just a yankee cousin to a Rooster Tail. Don't know which one pre-dates the other.
Old 09-07-12, 09:21 PM   #4
bamabassman

i used to use mepps spinners alot billy. lost em all and replaced em with rooster tails. i really ned to stock back up on em. great spinners in my opion. mepps came BEFORE the rooster tail kenneth.
Old 09-07-12, 09:43 PM   #5
keithdog

Back around 1976, I was fishing with my dad on Big Thunder Lake in Minnesota when I caught what I found out later to be close to the world record Rock Bass. It weighed 2pounds 2 ounces, and was caught on a #2 Mepps Aglia squirrel tail spinner with a gold blade. I had added a small artificial 2 inch plastic red worm for a trailer. It wasn't untill several months later when I recieved an angling award from Mepps that they told me the world record was 3 pounds. I almost died, lol. I yelled at my dad, "We should have mounted it, not eatten it!". Anyways, Mepps will catch virturally all species north and south.
Old 09-07-12, 10:13 PM   #6
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Back around 1976, I was fishing with my dad on Big Thunder Lake in Minnesota when I caught what I found out later to be close to the world record Rock Bass. It weighed 2pounds 2 ounces, and was caught on a #2 Mepps Aglia squirrel tail spinner with a gold blade. I had added a small artificial 2 inch plastic red worm for a trailer. It wasn't untill several months later when I recieved an angling award from Mepps that they told me the world record was 3 pounds. I almost died, lol. I yelled at my dad, "We should have mounted it, not eatten it!". Anyways, Mepps will catch virturally all species north and south.

My father and I once had a similar experiance catching rock bass on Pickwick that were getting up there. Didn't realize what the record was at the time, but we caught a couple that were close to 2 lbs from this rock wall on flukes of all things.
Old 09-07-12, 10:20 PM   #7
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Mepps/Rooster Tails = Great baits IMO!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 04:14 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Me too, Billy. My wife recently gave me a couple more and I have one tied on a spinning reel right now. Great multi-species bait.
Old 09-09-12, 10:47 PM   #9
nofearengineer

I grew up using Mepps and Kastmaster spoons out in Wyoming. When I moved back to Indiana, they all were lost in weeds and not replaced. Much better lure for rocky, hard bottoms. I assume they will catch anything that swims though.
Old 09-10-12, 07:40 PM   #10
woody

I can remember fishing inline spinners for rockbass on the Dry Fork River (W.V.).

Hey check this out, this caught my attention over on youtube, inline spinner in front of a swimbait.

check it out...http://youtu.be/4vkMWXRSDxc

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 09-10-12 at 07:49 PM.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 08:08 PM   #11
CMorg

I have used them in our local lakes. I found good luck swimming it by an isolated clump of grass. Just close enough to not tangle , come at them at differant angles. I did not however catch anything with any size. Mostly those little 8-10" largemouth bass.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 07:53 PM   #12
Marty

At one time Mepps spinners were my most-used lure. They catch anything, including LMB and SMB. I don't know why I stopped using them other than the explosion of new lure types and these got lost in the shuffle, although I do still use them occasionally.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.