Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-02-13, 05:07 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Spring or Fall

Well as usual I've been researching fishing techniques, stratagies, beliefs and what ever ideas pop up.

I have been finding a lot of anglers believe the best chance at big fish is Fall, not Spring.
This seems to be especially true for Smallmouth.

So now I need the TRUE EXPERTS to wiegh in and tell me your thoughts, beliefs and or action plans.

So anglers, what do you think?
Old 10-02-13, 06:53 PM   #2
lilmule

Smallmouth contrary to belief migrate downstream in the fall to nearest deepest water,more weight in the spring generally due to eggs ,yet chance for a really fat fish that is stuffed for winter are great in the fall,complete with buddies from school.
I find both seasons equally enjoyable each for different reasons.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 06:56 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm no expert, but of course, when LM bass are full of eggs in spring, they will be heavier. However, that being said, I have often caught my largest bass in the fall. It's just my thoughts, but I think larger bass move in shallow to feast before winter sets in. Having the cooler water temps after the hot summer heat makes them more active too. So for me, the larger bass are most active in the fall. One exception to all of what I just said though. And that is right after ice out. You can catch a real hog as soon as the ice has melted and the water starts to warm. But as soon as the water starts nearing spawn conditions, the big bass bite, for me, gets much harder than right after ice out. I guess they have other things on their minds by then.
Old 10-17-13, 06:43 PM   #4
jchez444
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmm my opinion is early spring would be best time to catch a "pig". prolly not to much longer after ice out. usually the bigger females spawn the earliest and will move up with water temp in 50's sometimes. so i would say pending regional location water temp high 40's low 50's in very early spring would be best chance at big fish.
jchez444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 06:12 PM   #5
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have caught more big fish in fall. Footballs stuffed with shadlings are fun stuff. My biggest bass was caught in August...go figure.
Old 10-26-13, 07:32 PM   #6
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

fishing in the deep clear ozark lakes will present two distinct patterns in the fall and winter. there will be some fish that stay shallow, and the majority will go deep. however, there is always an exception like year before last. the shad stayed shallow all winter and so did the bass. on average, the bass you catch in the fall and winter will average bigger that what you would normally catch any other time of the year. with that said, i think there are more numbers of big bass caught in the spring. the reason for that is fairly simple, they are shallower in more numbers and more accessible.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 11:44 AM   #7
pig n jig

Spring here, first ice out.About the second week of April, they move back into the creeks and you can catch some big fish during that time. I remember when it was illegal to fish for them since Bass season doesn't open up until the third Saturday in June but they changed the law so you can catch and release for the spring.The bigger smallies are caught here during the summer by burning charteuse spinner baits and rattle traps over the grass.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.