Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-02-06, 09:01 PM   #1
DBake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hooks for plastics...

I have it is a good idea to use the -2 rule for hooks on plastics. Example: 6" worm = 4/0 hook, 5" lizard = 3/0 hook. Is this a good guide, what do you guys think? Also, it seems that the way to go is Gamakatsu EWG hooks for plastics...
DBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 10:36 PM   #2
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a method. I primarily use 4 and 5 for everything. Pretty much what you are comfortable with and what works for you.
Old 05-02-06, 10:42 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Not a bad idea-have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-03-06, 06:34 AM   #4
Floridafisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Good idea i will gve it a try also.
Floridafisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 07:30 AM   #5
FlyRod

A 4/0 on a 6" worm seems a bit excessive unless it's an awfully thick-bodied worm.
I usually use a 2/0 EWG or similar hook. My rationale is that the 2/0 leaves more "tail" past the portion of the worm that's made sorta rigid in the section between the eye and point of the hook. The portion past the point remains flexible, thus there's more action to the worm. I can't, of course, tell you how many bass I may have failed to hook on a 2/0 v. a 4/0 but I CAN tell you that a more flexible (See: Lifelike) worm surely elicits more bites than a rigid one.
Of course, there's the relative "deadness"/Rigor mortis of the soft stick baits, but they are a different critter entirely. I usually Wacky them with a 1/0 Gamakstsu weedless wacky hook (4" Tiki), or a 2/0 of the same type for a 5". If I T-Rig them, the 4" gets a #1 EWG, the 5" gets a 1/0 or 2/0, depending on the thickness of the critter.
For lizards: 4"- #1 EWG or 1/0 EWG; 5-6"-1/0 or 2/0.
Worms: 4"-#1 EWG; 4.75"(Zoom Finesse is that length and I want so much flex as is consistent with assured hook-up)- 1/0 EWG; 5" Zoom Curly Tail (very thin body)- no larger than a 1/0 EWG; Most 6"- 2/0 EWG; 7-8"- 2/0 to 3/0 EWG, depending on thickness and whether it has a shorter curl tail or a longer "ribbon" tail (such as Zoom U-tail, similar Culprit, or 7" Berkley Power worm.) If it has the longer "ribbon" tail, I will select the 2/0. For a Zoom or 3X trick worm (7")...usually 3/0 EWG, sometimes a 2/0 EWG.
Flukes: #1 to 3/0, depending on size.

On red hooks... I must own 4,267 of them, so I use them a lot. Do they make a difference? Who knows, but I'm wishing that Gamakatsu would invent a way to keep the red from rubbing off so easily. I've begun saving my "brassy" ones until I can find some blade dip to try and re-red them.
There IS one sure way to have a more durable color on a hook. (Your gonna love this!). Find some heat-shrink tubing in a diameter just large enough to force over the point and barb. Cut tubing to a length that leaves the point and barb + another 1/4-1/3" inch of metal exposed (and the eye too, of course.) Apply heat and "Voila!", a colored hook that has a measure of durability. It DOES work. Sadly, the only heat-shrink tubing I could find in the appropriate diameter...*&^%!...was blue.
Some other guy who posts here recently mentioned my attention (See: Obsession) to detail.
Well, if de tail is...never mind.

Rod, F.
Martini Lover
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 07:48 AM   #6
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

I agree with FlyRod, 4/0 on a 6" worm seems excessive. I think a hook that big would take away from the worms action. I use a 2/0 on 6" worms
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 11:01 AM   #7
jordan41
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

i use 2 an 3 on all my fishing.
Old 05-03-06, 05:38 PM   #8
skeeter944

another thing to consider is that a big hook is better for larger bass because of there large mouths,and smaller hooks for smaller bass so you can get better hooksets. another thing to consider is that a bigger hook is usually bigger in diameter but is also better when using braid or line over 20#. a smaller hook is better for light line and open water, where you dont have to horse the bass out of any cover. i like 1/0 for 4'',2/0 for 5 and 6'', 3/0 for 7'',and 4/0 for anything bigger than 7''. that is just my opinion on this subject.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 09:01 PM   #9
rrw4258

well heres one time i will disagree with the majority, and i do use a 4/0 and someimtes a 5/0 hook with a 7" power worm...

Ryan
Old 05-04-06, 06:23 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258
well heres one time i will disagree with the majority, and i do use a 4/0 and someimtes a 5/0 hook with a 7" power worm...

Ryan
Dont feel like the lone ranger bud. 75% of the time I myself use a 4 or 5/0 hook on plastics much like you. The power worm has a tail that has plenty of action therefore I dont want to risk the fact of having to small a hook and loosing a good fish.
Old 05-05-06, 12:35 AM   #11
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Dont feel like the lone ranger bud. 75% of the time I myself use a 4 or 5/0 hook on plastics much like you. The power worm has a tail that has plenty of action therefore I dont want to risk the fact of having to small a hook and loosing a good fish.
I agree. 100%
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 05:41 PM   #12
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I'm with the other guys. I use 3/0 and 4/0 gammy's on most plastics. Any of you tried the Gammy G-lock hook? That is all I use for my tubes now. Givem a try, you'll love em.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 07:36 PM   #13
buzzdog
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 4/0 on all my plastics, it works fine for me. Caught a 4 pounder last weekend. Vacation all this week, so i'm headed out at 5 in the morning.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.