Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-05-11, 11:11 AM   #26
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

After viewing the videos I have to admit I'm intrigued. I'm hoping to hear feedback from Kory and Anthony about these jigs. Anyways, I'd like to try a couple and see for myself. In the one video, he claimes the jig works better in vegitation. I have seious doubts about that, but then again, I'll have to try it myself first. The split weedguard to me would only catch more vegitation than normal weedguards and create a bulkier body which would not slide through vegitaion as easily as the conventional jig. I definately would expect them to come through brush better though as long as the weedguards are not so flimsy that they give into the brush and allow the hook to snag. While I don't like a weed guard that is too stiff, I don't like flimsy ones either. I like Kens idea about using 2 part epoxy to keep the guard strands spead apart. Definately going to try that! Watching the dowel rod experiment, I could see what they were trying to prove, But it looked to me as though the football head design uprighted itself comming through the dowels also. I'm not convinced this jig design would have much of an advantage over the football head design in deeper water situations. In fact, I think the makers of this jig should make a deep water version which would have a larger and thinner wired hook. Outside of flooded trees, most deep water fishing is fairly cover free. At least around my parts, thats the case. Overall though, I like the ideas proposed by the videos. It will be interresting to read about the feedback from members here in the forums who have tried this jig. I'll have to wait at least 5 months to try it up here. Man I hate winter!!!
Old 11-05-11, 01:27 PM   #27
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

We talked a bit about them on the chat last night, but I'll chime in here.

I think it's definitely an interesting concept, but I just don't think it's quite there in other respects.

First, the jigs themselves. The skirts seem very inconsistent. Two different kinds of skirts on the same jigs? That's just inconsistent and it seems amateurish like he's not serious about his product past his "innovations." Secondly, I know he's got to pay for the custom molds, and design and stuff, but $5 seems a bit much for a jig without top of the line components. Mix and match skirts, and Mustad hooks, I'd say $4, max. Also, after pouring my own jigs with some of the Owner Cutting Point hooks, it'd be hard for me to go back to Mustad, although they are a good, economical hook.

I really don't know much about the advantages the "cam-head" would provide, but he seems to market it as a jighead for just about anything. IMO, there is no perfect jig head for all jobs. That's why there are so many variations in head design.

The next issue I had was his dowel testing device... Aside from the offset "jaws", it's not very realistic at all, IMO. There is much more than the top and bottom of a bass's mouth. In his demonstration, the standard jigs, go sideways, then pull through the dowels. But the dowel's don't provide a side of the mouth for those jigs to hook. Like others have said, 95% of the bass I catch on jigs are hooked in the side of the mouth. It'd be like designing a circle hook to hook fish in the roof of the mouth, when they're designed to hook in the corner.

I couldn't say how the dual weedguards would work going through cover without testing it, but I image fishing in timber would be similar to his dowel test, and they might provide an advantage there.

I probably won't buy any, mostly due to what I feel are inferior components for a jig of that price. The design concept is interesting, and I might fool around with some jigs and see what I can come up with for testing though.

BB
Old 11-05-11, 01:44 PM   #28
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The next issue I had was his dowel testing device... Aside from the offset "jaws", it's not very realistic at all, IMO. There is much more than the top and bottom of a bass's mouth. In his demonstration, the standard jigs, go sideways, then pull through the dowels. But the dowel's don't provide a side of the mouth for those jigs to hook. Like others have said, 95% of the bass I catch on jigs are hooked in the side of the mouth. It'd be like designing a circle hook to hook fish in the roof of the mouth, when they're designed to hook in the corner.
Anthony brings up a good point here, as when a bass bites a jig (or any bait for that matter), it doesn't usually just back up. (Tug of war, anyone?) It doesn't do a backwards or forwards loop either. It turns to one side or another to swim off and eat its prey. That's why they get hooked in the side of the mouth.

So what this guy is insinuating is an unintentional failing of traditional jig is actually what makes them work. We've never seen that sort of thing before, right?

The football head getting stuck in the mouth was sort of humorous. A wet fish mouth is just a bit more slippery than a dry wooden dowel.

I still think it's a neat concept, and might even try out a couple. But hardly a game changer I would think.
Old 11-05-11, 03:48 PM   #29
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Anthony brings up a good point here, as when a bass bites a jig (or any bait for that matter), it doesn't usually just back up. (Tug of war, anyone?) It doesn't do a backwards or forwards loop either. It turns to one side or another to swim off and eat its prey. That's why they get hooked in the side of the mouth.

So what this guy is insinuating is an unintentional failing of traditional jig is actually what makes them work. We've never seen that sort of thing before, right?

The football head getting stuck in the mouth was sort of humorous. A wet fish mouth is just a bit more slippery than a dry wooden dowel.

I still think it's a neat concept, and might even try out a couple. But hardly a game changer I would think.
I agree that his device is far from a perfect representation, I would like to try and build something similar, but actually shape it like a bass's mouth, with some sandpaper lips, and the little ridge on the inside. Then cup it with hinged corners and glue some soft leather inside to give the hook every chance to grab something. I do however aplaud him for inventing even a primitive device that does show that most jigs roll to the side when pulled through it and his cam head in conjuction with the dual guards rolls up. I agree witht he staement that if a fish munchs and turns, then I can hook it with any jig, I don't think he is saying that regular jigs don't hook bass that munch and turn. I know for a fact that he caught a ton of bass on regular jigs before he invented this one. I do however agree that not all bass munch and turn. Keep in mind, he lives on one of the most gin clear lakes in the country. I believe him when he says that he personally witnesed several bass inhale his traditional jigs and then saw the jig pop out of a closed mouth on the hookset. Thats what led him to try and find a jig that didn't do that. You could only say that you have seen that if you fished in gin clear water for many years and had caught lots of bass on jigs. I also know that a persoanl freind of my Dads that still lives at Tablerock has confirmed that he knows this person not personally but has seen him win numerous local torunaments for many many years. My dads friend also confirmed that these jigs are very well known at the local Jug and Plug tackle shop in Shell Knob and that these are the only jig he uses now as he firmly belives that they do come through brush better than any other. If you are familar with the Rock, you will know that they have two types of fish cover, rocks and brush piles, lots and lots of man made brush piles. As I stated earlier, I still have not personally held any, but I have some pretty solid info that they do work as good as claimed.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 04:50 PM   #30
carolina-rig-01

I fish jigs probably more than any other bait out there, it's not only my confidence bait but also my go to bait when I need a kicker. Not that any of the previous statement makes my opinion more or less valuable than anyone elses, but I have used a lot of head designs over the years. When I was running our jig company we worked hard to come up with the perfect head design for our models, and after a lot of trial and error we came up with what I refered to as the best current design. Not saying it was the best design there was, but it was as good as I could make it at the time. After designing head designs that I was comfortable selling, we started thinking outside the box trying to come up with a truly revolutionary head design that would make a "splash" in the jig market. I never dreamed up anything that I thought would fish very well, although I did have a few ideas that would probably sell ok for a short period of time before everyone ventured back to their favorite head designs that have been producing for them for years. I was never the kind of guy to sell a gimick type jig so I stuck with what was proven. I wish I was smart enough to come up with this design though because I really think it's a great design, at least for a few applications. I don't believe there is ever going to be a head design that is the best at every application because the attributes that you need for one type of jig fishing is exactly what you don't want for another. But I honestly think this head would be a great one for draggin and hopping around rock and laydowns. When I first saw it I thought it would be a terrible jig for hookup percentages but after seeing the videos I actually think the opposite now. I look foward to hearing some of the guys reports who are buying these jigs.
Old 11-10-11, 02:50 AM   #31
mollysfarm
BassFishin.Com Member

hello gents,
Im the guy that shot this video, it was a private video but im happy to see people talking about it.
Perfect Strike has no idea I shot this video, I just happen to know Bo James the mind behind the design.
Its a better tool, applying physics to fishing. To really get to the heart of the matter, we need to fish this jig in heavy cover and see how it sets.
Im going to offer a few free jigs to several people on this thread to get some feedback and encourage the discussion.

I am currently distributing the Alpha Jig @ 3.99 ea. w/ free shipping.
Website will be finished soon at www.PerfectStrikeShop.com (shameless plug) .. looking forward to the reviews from the bassfishin.com community.
mollysfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 09:50 AM   #32
pro reel

I have been contacted by the distributer of these jigs now. I talked with Richard garcia on the phone for quite a while yesterday. He has been contacting a few folks that he saw post about these jigs on another site. He will be sending me a few to test soon. Richard actually shot the videos with the designer Bo James. The videos at first were only meant to be shown to prospective dealers. The folks that are running the perfect strike website for Bo, decided to use the videos on that site. Richard told me that they are in the process of getting some better videos that show the jigs in action. Anyway, Richard left a post on another site after talking with several of us. I will repost an excerpt from that here. This may change some thoughts about the jig.

Statement from Richard garcia
This video had been on many forums as of late, for some people the concept is alot to digest. What I have noticed is no one has argured with the physics, and have mostly commented on the testing machine (fooster) or the $5.00 price of the jig.
So that leaves us with only two courses of action : First we field test this jig and hold Bo James feet to the fire. Either he has created a better mouse trap or he is full of crap.
SECOND: we get a lower price, which I have done ! I am now distrubuting the Alpha Jig @ 3.99 w/ free shipping. our website will be up soon at www.PerfectStrikeShop.com (shameless plug )
Old 11-10-11, 03:03 PM   #33
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
SECOND: we get a lower price, which I have done ! I am now distrubuting the Alpha Jig @ 3.99 w/ free shipping. our website will be up soon at www.PerfectStrikeShop.com (shameless plug )
mentioned as much 6 days ago...

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 03:44 PM   #34
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
mentioned as much 6 days ago...

oe
I know you mentioned this 6 days ago, but it still seems that everyone was quoting the $4.99 price from the perfectstrike site. I just copied that from a post from the distributer, Richard garcia, he is the one that said he has now gotten the price for us at a buck cheaper.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.