Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-17-11, 12:20 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Float or not to float?

Anyone use a floating jerkbait (like original Rapalas) as opposed to a suspending jerkbait (like a husky jerk). Lures stated not necessarily go to's but everyones seen them. So they are just examples.
As always, when. where, why?
If you have favorites feel free to say so...but include why.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 12:42 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

I have been "jerking" Original Rapalas since the late 60's., way before the term jerkbait was coined. I was probably 10 yrs old, throwing one from shore, standing in an ant bed, "jerked" sideways in response to the pain and caught one...the rest is history. The only time I throw one of the new( pronounced expensive) suspending models is when the water is real cold.
Old 11-17-11, 06:04 PM   #3
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think you have to really see what the fish want. I was never really into this statement until fishing in Florida. I was using an Xrap and started to see something. I was fishing a point and retrieving the Xrap with a cadence to it. Switched to a straight retrieve and the snook and Spanish mackerel started to slam it. Same bait…same location just slightly different retrieve. Made a believer out of me.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 09:22 PM   #4
Jrob78

I read an article in Bassin Magazine a year or so ago written by Iaconelli. He said that he let the water temperature dictate what his jerkbaits did. I wish I could remember the specific temperatures he talked about but basically, in really cold water he wants the jerkbait to sink, warm water he wants it to float and in between the two, suspend.
Old 11-17-11, 10:46 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have quite a few "jerk" baits. including rapalas, this is something i really need to work on next year. i grew up fising the rapalas jsut like a regular crankbait. old habits are hard to break.
Old 11-18-11, 10:59 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I catch more bass on floating jerk baits than suspending. I really like to use the Rattlin Rouge floaters. They have enough weight to still allow a nice long cast. In early spring that is important to me because of the clear water on the lakes I fish in early spring. But they are also very good baits used year round near shallow cover twitched at the surface like an injured minnow.
Old 11-18-11, 12:31 PM   #7
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm most often successful catching bass with a floating Rapala minnow when the bass are relating to surface bait activity. I'll work it along shoreline rip rap when sun exposure has warmed the surface a couple of degrees warmer than mid depths. I especially like shorelines that have holes or trenches along the rip rap base... or along inside weed edges that are less than 4' deep. At the mouth of feeder creeks in the spring is another prime area to throw a floating minnow bait. Also over submerged laydown trees if you will be careful not to hook into the branches when working it.

The Slim Pointer is a pretty good shallow suspending bait if a more erratic cadence triggers the bite. Work the Slim Pointer with your rod tip over-head and you can keep it in the top 2' of the water column.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.