Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-16-13, 09:09 PM   #1
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default When to frog

Whenever veggies are up or water is back in the bushes and frogs are out.
Good luck matching the hatch,took this today.Guessing it would take a bass of 8lbs or so to want it,no telephoto lens was 1 ft away.

About 7 in x 4 in x3 in thick most likly about 4-5 oz dunno wont sit still for me to weigh him-no bull just bullfrog
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 11:39 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with you, Mule-I'd LOVE to catch the one that is big enough to eat that big 'ol frog. I bet Ish Monroe or Dean Rojas would go nuts over it
Old 04-17-13, 06:46 AM   #3
keithdog

Now here is an interesting idea for a headline. Pig eats frog! haha Seriously, I can't wait for frogging season up here to begin. About another month and it should start. As of now, there is NO vegetation anywhere near the water surface here yet.

Last edited by keithdog; 04-17-13 at 09:17 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 07:06 AM   #4
lilmule

Ive got lily pads starting to poke thru normally would have happened 2-3 weeks ago for the earliest ones,and have pondweed sticking thru the top.
Old 04-17-13, 07:30 AM   #5
joedog

I don't worry till I start seeing the 'pink' ones breeding under the bridges and the pads!
Old 04-17-13, 08:14 AM   #6
lilmule

By then its to late they done snuck up an got ya
Dont knock the pink in the pads or under bridges till u try it
A freshly fallen young cliff swallow does not last long,warning stripers also hit them
Old 04-17-13, 09:12 AM   #7
joedog

I got my pink frogs, Sumo my favorite.

Not knocking anything or anyone!
Old 04-17-13, 09:13 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Pink lure story:

My wife is not into fishing, but she sure is game. She said she wanted to go fishing with me, but I knew I wanted to do everything I could to help her enjoy it. Well, her favorite color is pink-yes, she is a true lady and how I managed to land her I still have no clue, but I sure got the best end of that deal and she is the best keeper I ever got-so I bought her a bag of bubble gum Zoom Super Flukes. Rigged it up on a Zebco 33 with a 3/0 Gammy EWG hook, showed her how to work it and enjoyed watching her fish it. We were fishing a shallow but vertical dropoff and as the bait sank she started getting real excited as she started getting a nice bend in the rod. I thought she was hung up until the fish jumped. It was a small keeper, maybe a pound and a half but she got it up to the boat and I lipped it for her and she had her first ever largemouth bass caught on a lure in her favorite color.

We have a sitting area on the second floor of our house and one wall is covered with fish pictures, and in a prominent place is one of my lovely wife holding a bass with a pink Super Fluke sticking out of it's mouth
Old 04-17-13, 05:01 PM   #9
bassinbob

Well gee Reb, post that pic for us to enjoy.

Alas, frogging season is a little far off around here. But i still will give one a few casts when I go out. Same thing with buzzbaits.
Old 04-18-13, 12:24 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Well gee Reb, post that pic for us to enjoy.

Alas, frogging season is a little far off around here. But i still will give one a few casts when I go out. Same thing with buzzbaits.
Second!!!!!
Old 04-19-13, 03:43 PM   #11
3dkicker

I've heard rumors that there's topwater action in VA already. Not frogs but poppers but it's TOPWATER!!!! How can you not get excited????
Old 04-19-13, 10:15 PM   #12
flfireman

Sorry guys, I throw frogs all year long. Yes, winter frogging can be awesome down here.
Old 04-19-13, 10:36 PM   #13
Bass'n'cast
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Now here is an interesting idea for a headline. Pig eats frog! haha Seriously, I can't wait for frogging season up here to begin. About another month and it should start. As of now, there is NO vegetation anywhere near the water surface here yet.
Agreed, it seems like our smaller bodies around Indianpolis are blooming with algae but no vegetative growth yet. Unfortunately with the high waters things are all stirred up. Do you think this will significantly affect the spawn and frog pattern? I can't wait to get some frogging action in this season.
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-13, 10:58 PM   #14
lilmule

The frog can work in cool water only months havnt caught one is jan,feb,toss around bushes or cover like piers,wood etc,and if they are hitting poppers try the spro popper can toss it back in the timber and get it out with hefty braid.It is just a grass popper with protected hooks.A frog none the less.
As for high water generally helps the spawn as long as current doesnt wipe everything out,does tend to break up the algae.
Old 04-20-13, 12:00 PM   #15
IUbass

Bass'n'cast where abouts in Indy are you from? I'm from the Greenwood area.

Froggin is one of my favorite things to do, such an awesome bite, and it keeps me paying attention. As for southern Indiana we havent had any vegetation start up yet. My favorite frog hole is Lake Lemon, I havent made it out there yet but I have a tournament there next weekend so I should be on the lake a few times next week. I really hope the vegetation is up, usually that lake is filled with it! Especially in a place we call "little Africa"

Now if they wanna get rid of the $15 dollar launch fee I'd be there everyday!

For those of you who dont have much vegetation but like topwater bites and want something new check out Boing Lures. We just picked them up as a sponsor and their "spook" like topwater is amazing. By far the easiest walking lure I've thrown and does give off a great sound. Here is a link to a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awnZCYQVI1E

Cmon Froggin Season! Also lets get a pole goin on your favorite frog baits! I like Ish's Phat Frog. What about everyone else?
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 07:01 PM   #16
lilmule

Lol you fellers just dont know where to look,taken today Paris Landing state park.

Yes had a frog fish as well a 2 1/2 ft long gar lol they are all over it along with the bass.
Old 04-21-13, 10:56 AM   #17
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Lol you fellers just dont know where to look,taken today Paris Landing state park.

Yes had a frog fish as well a 2 1/2 ft long gar lol they are all over it along with the bass.
That looks amazing!!!
Old 04-21-13, 04:43 PM   #18
Bass'n'cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUbass View Post
From the Indianapolis area, I've really enjoy the urban bite down here but don't get out nearly as often as I would like. But fishing everyday might get to be a bit much... Actually no. No it wouldn't.
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 08:17 AM   #19
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUbass View Post

Froggin is one of my favorite things to do, such an awesome bite, and it keeps me paying attention. As for southern Indiana we havent had any vegetation start up yet. My favorite frog hole is Lake Lemon, I havent made it out there yet but I have a tournament there next weekend so I should be on the lake a few times next week. I really hope the vegetation is up, usually that lake is filled with it! Especially in a place we call "little Africa"

Now if they wanna get rid of the $15 dollar launch fee I'd be there everyday!

For those of you who dont have much vegetation but like topwater bites and want something new check out Boing Lures. We just picked them up as a sponsor and their "spook" like topwater is amazing. By far the easiest walking lure I've thrown and does give off a great sound. Here is a link to a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awnZCYQVI1E

Cmon Froggin Season! Also lets get a pole goin on your favorite frog baits! I like Ish's Phat Frog. What about everyone else?
That Boing lure looks like something I'd like to try. I love fishing with a Rattlin Spook. That Boing just might be a nice addition.
Old 04-27-13, 08:35 PM   #20
lilmule

Ive tried all kinds of frogs and do mainly frog fishing,sumo,bullywa etc but settled on three I actually use .
Spro popin frog for when the lake is up and back in the bushes,been raining (pouring for last 30 hrs) lake is on the rise about 561 now 2 ft over summer pool 3 1/2 over what it should be now as not time yet for summer pool.Can toss it back in the brush,not worry about as snagless and not extremely expensive.
The Deps soft crawler for culling .Use in pads.
Grass or pads capt kens desinger bass frogs with skitter legs.Spawning fish hammer it not swirl on it.Hes currently working on a frog for me,number 57 I call it as its a tomatoe frog,it will be in the data base and regestered,I am a frogman,been with him a couple of years.
http://bass-frog.com/Clones.htm
The clones cost no more than a spro,but it does take a learned hookset.

Last edited by lilmule; 04-27-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 03:00 PM   #21
doc

Took 2nd at a tournament April 27th, all of my fish were frog fish
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 03:43 AM   #22
joedog

Bass aren't barely in spawn here but....I actualy got a twenty in. third cast already this year.
Not so much as a swirl other than that one.
But earliest Frog bite ever for me.
Old 05-10-13, 05:52 AM   #23
SaminVa

Many fish here are spawned out. I have caught some on frogs and buzzbaits.. I start throwing buzzbaits when the water temp reaches 50*. I throw frogs when I start hearing them chrip at the lake.... 1 lake I fish has lots of dollar pads they are now about the size of a .50 cent piece...I frog fish whe I see the dollar pad stems start turning color and heading up. Also a good time to pull a fluke or 5" paddletailswimbait thru them.
Old 05-10-13, 06:21 AM   #24
lilmule

We have yellow lillys and americana lotus,only seen dollar lillies in a pond once and never again,they are up but water is as well as over them but wont be long,be fishable as pads.If it ever stops raining that is,31/2 ft over summer pool and not time for that even yet.
I have a capt kens designer bass frog coming I need to try out its a new guinea tomato frog,dna hotlegs,yup red orange spots etc named #57 after guess what.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-10-13 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-10-13, 11:06 AM   #25
WatterBoy

Just got a text pic from my friend up at "our" lake. Bays are open, but still has ice out on the bigger areas of the lake. Walleye/pike opener is tomorrow. Headed up there ourselves after work today.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.