Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-31-06, 09:31 PM   #1
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I could sure use some direction here :)

Hey folks, I'm a pilot in the army over here at Fort Rucker, AL, nearby we have Ech, Tholloco, and a bunch of other lakes here I am poorly attempting to fish. I grew up in FL, salt/bracchish(sp?) water fishing. This is my technique for saltwater.

Shrimp on hook. Hook in water. Fish on dinner plate.

This freshwater fishing business has been completely different and I could use some direction. Even if it isnt written explanation, maybe just some resourceful websites.

I've got the whole how to use a pole, tie the right knots, how to hook all the live bait (besides crickets, they baffle me) I would normally consider myself a respectable fisherman. Until recently. I dont think its my spots either, I see little old korean ladies pulling in 20+ inch bass all day long.

So where do I start? Currently Ive been using Shiners, on a slip bobber with a single splitshot about half way between the hook/bobber. About 6-8 feet off the shoreline, (leaving the bait about 1-2 ft off the bottom) I have been trying some worms, different colors/sizes, and some (pardon my ignorance) bait that is a small metal wire that has 2 sides 1 a aritificial bait thing with the hook and on the other side a metal spinner... (crankbait? you got me, ive just been buying what ive seen people catch with.)

My fishing locale is either the lake, around the overhanging trees, and underwater loose vegetation. And also a small dam release.

Someone help this freshwater reject out

On a side note, My wife and I laughed are asses off about the PITA post, sigh what idiot put up the investment for the robo-fish? I think ill have nothing better to do than flog them eternally with my lightest most flexible rod I have, providing the most sting for every blow, and then out of fairness charge them for the pole I shattered over them.
Learnin2FWFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-06, 09:47 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service!

This is one of the best sites out there for somebody getting started:

bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

That ought to point you in the right direction. Your question covers a whole lot of water, so rather than throwing out a lot of terms and things that might not make sense I'll point you in that direction.

I believe the lure you are describing is a spinnerbait. A crankbait is the one with several sets of treble hooks on it .

Take look at that website to get a general overview, then come on back and we'll get you up and running.

Oh, one more thing: The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, so ask away!
Old 04-01-06, 12:04 AM   #3
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I only fish with artificial baits (like most bass fishermen), but I have a couple of tips that is a almost guaranteed way to catch you a fish.
1. Buy some live Canadian Nightcrawlers or some big fat worms of some sort, a pack of size 6 baitholder hooks, a pack of size 5 split shot lead weights(aka BB Shots). Clamp 1 or 2 split shot weights on your line with pliers about 12 to 14 inches above your hook, bait your worm securely on the hook so it doesn't fly off when you cast. Now throw the bait out and let it sink for a few seconds, then slowly(and I mean slowly!) swim the bait back to you at a consistent pace keeping the bait just off the bottom to prevent snags, that's it! If you are bank fishing you should always fish in areas that look "fishy" with visible cover like grass or weeds, logs or trees that are in or lying in the water. Also if bank fishing fan cast, your first cast should be parallel to the bank, on your second cast move the bait a little farther out off the bank and so forth until you complete a full 180 degrees of casting, if you didn't get a bite move to another area and repeat.

2. Same exact set up(hook, weight, and bait) as before. Find a good spot cast out your worm and let sink to the bottom, let it sit there for a few minutes, if no bite reel it in and cast to another spot and repeat.

I know it's primitive but it will catch you some kind of fish. When you catch a few with live bait and start to learn more about the fishes behavior slowly start using artificial baits like plastic worms and spinnerbaits, all it takes is one good fish on a artificial bait and you'll be hooked, and your wallet will hurt from all the baits and rigs you'll buy. I hope this helps a little, and don't give up you will catch a fish, even the best of us have a hard time getting a bite on some days.
Old 04-01-06, 06:20 AM   #4
lizardsrule

Welcome,

Go to the sites Rebasser showed, and get soem Baby Paca Craws, in Greenpumpkin, and texas rig them. You will catch fish.

Lizards
Old 04-01-06, 06:38 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the board. Lots of info and good pro's and con's on just about everything here. We got some real talent here.
Old 04-05-06, 05:53 PM   #6
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Unhappy So after 2 full days... fish continue to elude me.

So taken most of the advice I could find, and most likely poorly employing it, I was unable to catch anything except one big 65 ft Oak. Fished from about sun up til 1pm then back at 4 til complete dark. In the morning I rented a bass tracker from the Post, MWR (Military Game/Fish/Wildlife folks.) and a buddy of mine hit up the fishiest spots would could find. No luck. We tried plastic bright colored worms (Semi Murky water, semi overcast) with bullet wieghts, cast, slight pull, fall repeat. Tried slow and fast retrieval of spinner baits, crankbaits. Tried some lizards and some crazy artifical bait that I suppose simulates a fish in distress, very erratic movement. Hooked one nice size fish on a small reel I had with the worm setup, using braided 10lb test. Fish cut the line I suppose, the knot didnt come out.. Do you have to use leaders with braided?

So that evening tried the same different things in a rocky spilway, lots of activity on top of the water at dusk. No luck either, not even a bite.

Next day got fed up, bought some shiners, (Go with what you know right ?) packed up the wife and dogs.. No luck!

So the plan is for tommorrow.. Packing a lunch for 2, and all my gear. Gonna go down to the dock, and see if anyone wants some company ( I see alot of folks launching by themselves) and my wife makes a damn good roast beef and provolone. Maybe I just need to see it done right 1st hand.

Heard this "Green Pumpkin" a few times it is a worm that has a green body/orange tail?

The worst part about it all, my pilot friends are looking to me for the tips =) (They have never really fished and want to learn) So *shrug need to get on the ball with picking up some strategies here You guys have been my best resource so far!

What do you think fellas?
Old 04-05-06, 05:58 PM   #7
JB

Learnin'
Go to the lakes points, and secondary points and fish them with plastics, spinnerbait, jerk bait and crankbaits. Theres bound to be fish either on the points, and make your way to the backs of the coves. This time of year at water temps 55-60 those fish are looking for shallows, and weather fronts usually make them pull back to the points.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 07:02 PM   #8
bass kicker

in the states you buy canadian nightcrawlers thats kinda funny
Old 04-05-06, 07:55 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Learnin, I think you are on the right track. Any idea of the water temp? This time of year it is a factor, but as the year progresses it gets less so.

This is green pumpkin:

Lately most of the fish I have been catching came on a bait called a Tiki Stick which is a soft stickbait:

in that particular color-baby bass/pearl swirl, but there are a lot of different versions out there like Wave Worm Tiki Sticks, Yammamoto Senkos, and Kinami Flash just to name a few. You can get them at WalMart (Kinami) and if you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors they carry the Senko and the Tiki Stick.

If you go with just three colors, watermelon seed, watermelon red flake and green pumpkin regardless of the type of soft plastic you will be able to catch fish just about anywhere-Sure, I use a lot of different colors but those three are the "basics".

Now, rigging and fishing them:

Most of the fish I've caught lately came on a wacky rig. This is what it looks like:

Yes, that goofy looking rig really works. Being in South Texas we don't have many opportunities for smallies, yet in a local lake a few weeks back I caught a 2-1 smallie on this rig, which is the biggest smallie I have ever caught. Cast it around cover and just let it sink. A lot of time you won't feel a hit, your line just starts moving off. Or, it may just feel "heavy". In either case with the exposed hook you can just snap your wrist for a hookset and reel it in.

If you start getting snagged on cover you can switch to a weedless rig:

The only thing I do different is in #4-that shows the point of the hook exposed, or "Texposed", but I keep the point of the hook buried in the plastic. Cast it out in and around cover-weeds, rocks, flooded timber-you get the idea-and work it with gentle twitches of the rod tip. Vary the speed, how hard you twitch, and how long you let it rest between twitches until you find out what the fish want.

Both these methods will work with just about any soft plastic-just experiment a little. Hopefully one of these will produce for you-they are easy to fish and will definitely catch fish.

An afterthought-one real good way to fish these rigs is to "dead stick" it. Just let it sit on the bottom and don't move it. I discovered this several years back when I made a cast and got a nice birdnest that took me a little while to pick out. When I finally reeled in my line it felt heavy so just for grins I set the hook. Much to my surprise there was a fish on the other end of my line, so I added it to my arsenal.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 04-05-06 at 08:20 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 09:35 PM   #10
lizardsrule

I think you're trying to hard. Don't mean that badly, but slow down, relax and enjoy being outside fishing. If you are gonna use shiners, find the weed edges, and freeline them into the weeds. Or with a bobber, shorten up the length to about 12" and cast next to the weeeds/cover and let them get busy. I believe you'll get there, just remeber you aren't a guide, so your tip isn't based on how well the folks catch fish. Fishing is a great experience, whether you catch fish or not. Sounds like the guys are wanting some social activity too, nothing better than being out with some buds fishing, I spent the weekend doing it, and could've cared less if I ever caught a fish. The company and just fishing was great.

Lizards
Old 04-05-06, 10:44 PM   #11
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Social function for sure.

If it werent for the good conversation, cigars, occasional brew I think I would have gone crazy. Good points btw, and many thanks redbasser, your pictorial walkthrough helps a ton! I must say while my fishing isn't proving to be as successful as id like it is serving its primary purpose of manly outing where we can leave the wives to whatever wives do and escape for a few hours. Thanks again for the help, I'll be back with more soon.

BTW the water temp is very pleasant i would guess high sixties moving into the low 70ies, its definately swimmable and refreshing. Not too cold not too hot.
Old 04-05-06, 10:48 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Glad to help. I kind of figured the water temp would be in the range you mentioned-that's where it is here in Texas, so I know those to rigs will produce. Keep us posted how you do!
Old 04-06-06, 01:54 AM   #13
islandbass

Welcome! Another resource for rigging and learning. Just click on the Expert Articles link and read up to your heart's content: bassdozer.com

In addition to being the geek that I am, I highly recommend you go to the public library and check these books. I have provided the ISBN numbers so that the librabrian can quickly track down the books for you:

Fishing for Dummies
Author: Peter Kaminsky
ISBN: 0-7645-5028-4
My Notes: Best instructions for casting. Instructive tips regarding structure. Great for basic knots. And to learn where to find the fish. VERY IMPORTANT. It is the difference between fishing and catching.

Fishing Basics
Author: Arthur Cone
ISBN: 1-57912-021-0
My notes: Second Book Read – Better explanation of lures

Idiot’s Guide to Fishing
My Notes: Another good read similarly structured like Fishing for Dummies. Third Book Read

Fishing Basics – The Complete Illustrated Guide
Author: Gene Kugach
ISBN: 0-8117-3001-8
My Notes: Fifth Book Read – Excellent Book for Rig Illustrations. Also covers how to make various lures. Instructive tips regarding structure and best times of the day to fish during the year. Contour maps also covered. Fishing techniques well described. A must have book.

For Bass:
Largemouth Bass
Don Oster
0-86573-005-9
0-86573-016-4 (paperback)

Successful Bass Fishing
Ken Schultz
0-07-057236-4

Circle on Bass - Bass Wisdom from a Master
Homer Circle
1-55821-463-1

In Pursuit of Giant Bass
Bill Murphy
0-9633120-0-6
IB’s Note: Great Read – Covers the stitching technique and how to anchor your boat. Another keeper.

Bass Angler’s Almanac
John Weiss
1-58574-214-7

KNOW THY ENEMY:

Title: What Fish See
Author: Colin J, Kageyama, O.D., F.C.O.V.D.
ISBN: 1-57188-140-9
IB’s Note: Tons of information about the color shift that happens underwater. While it mainly focuses on steelhead and salmon, the knowledge Dr. Kageyama imparts is invaluable for bass anglers too. BTW, there is a bass section that I found most informative. I have become a better angler after reading this book. Make better, more educated selections in your choices for lure colors.

Title: How Fish Work – Fish Biology and Angling
Author: Thomas J. Sholsheth, DVM, MPVM
ISBN: 1-57188-239-1
IB’s Note: still reading this one. It turns out fish focus on seeing polarized light. This book, though informative is more technical in its style.
Old 04-06-06, 03:03 AM   #14
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thats quite a compilation!

Thanks for the link/info will do... Talk about drinking from a firehose!
Old 04-06-06, 04:16 AM   #15
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A tip/trick from me to you!

Thought since ive been the benefactor for this wealth of knowledge I would contribute back to the community.

If it's 3 am and your bored and happen to have some money in the bank, and just so happen to find yourself mindlessly browsing fishing stuff on ebay... Dont buy a lot of 100 Rat-L-Traps because:

A) You love your wife and dont want a divorce.

B) You would enjoy the privledge of having some food in the house.

C) You dont even know how to fish with a Rat-L-Trap (A tell tale sign)

D) So they look pretty... Maybe hit the sack wake up and take a shower and see how you feel about them...

Just thought I would throw that out there. I have a bad record with door to door salesmen, they eat me for lunch. I've been painfully close to buying a Kirby vacuum cleaner about 8 times in 4 different states!
Old 04-06-06, 06:25 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Hers a thought. Fishing the same spots mentioned above, and the water temps you stated I would do what I always do on lakes I dont know. Get out a chartruese or better yet get a chartruse and white spinner bait with double willow blades (gold and silver blades) in 1/4 oz and start throwing it at every available cover you can find and even in the water that aint got no cover. Those water temps should mean you got bass in 3 stages prespawn.spawn and post spawn. A spinnerbait in that color and sixe is gonna produce some fish. When you start finding some fish then slow up a bit and start throwing the plastics. If you find one that is willing to bite remeber what you did,how you did it, and where you did it. There should be more fish in that type area and more willing to hit.
Old 04-06-06, 06:36 AM   #17
JB

learnin'
The locals R+D scientists are still trying to creat a vaccine for that
"bait monkey'....so far no one has found a cure for fishermen wanting more stuff! HaNG In Thar!

Last edited by JB; 04-06-06 at 01:59 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 10:41 AM   #18
Bass Ackwards

You may want to try employing the Drop Shot, it seems like that would suited to your past fishing style. There is a lot of info within this forum and tons of web sites with info.

With the drop shot you have the versatility to fish live baits or soft plastics and if you take your time you can locate the depth/zone that is holding the fish.
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 10:49 AM   #19
Bass Ackwards

Try this site http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html for a quick Drop Shot Reference
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 01:54 PM   #20
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Mmm drop shot..

This looks like something that is idiot proof. Heading to the local tackle shop gonna see what I can find, I will look like a complete nerd carrying around printed pictures from the site but hey, better to look like a nerd and catch fish, then look like a pro and go home with my tail tucked right?
Old 04-06-06, 02:22 PM   #21
Rebbasser

Don't worry about looking like a nerd-the pics will allow you to get exactly what you want.

You mentioned Rat-L-Traps earlier-good fish catcher and easy to use. Just chunk and wind it in with a steady retrieve. Chrome with a blue back is one of the best colors I've found. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 04-06-06, 11:43 PM   #22
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Another day battin' 0 but the winds are changing!

Well I didnt catch much of anything today, but man did i learn alot. Discovered a tackle shop close by too run by an Army Civilian, who was happy to show me a little more here and there.

Had some luck today off a fluke (not a mistake... the bait type) got a couple of nice hits, only to realize I had the hook on the opposite side, (preventing it from exposing on a bite) so I couldnt set, but hey bites are bites right!

I picked up some green pumpkin worms, some green pumpkin tiki sticks, some lizards, (heard fish were bedding and lizards were the natural predator) the guy at the tackle shop recommended some hard nose frogs (He fishes the same lake alot) and some carolina rig set ups so I can rig it fairly easily.

Also picked up the hooks to accuratly match my worm sizes (from reading a website that was linked to me by you all) and got the appropriate wt. bullet wieghts etc etc...

Then.. I had braided line on a small pole I was using, but I took it off and put some Stren 8lb lght. green line on. I just dont have the fishing skill to be messing with a completely new type of line. So I guess you could say while I spent a little time on the water, I spent most of it regearing, resetting, restocking my tackle and poles. Hopefully tommorrow (more fishing) I will be able to devote a good chunk of time to bass-smashin'

Nice to be on post(base), everyone is fairly close, trustworthy... So I packed lunch for 2, put a few cold ones on ice and see if anyone wants some company out on the water tommorrow, kinda ballsy but we will see how it goes!

Thanks again for all the help/tips and tricks, and for having patience, I suppose a bass fishing forum you would definately find some folks that have mastered the skill of being patient. It is appreciated.

Rebbasser, on the wacky rig, so I cast it and let it fall.. once it hits bottom to I move it or leave it? or work it like a worm pulling it up and letting it fall again?

Last thing. It was 88 F today.. so the water has to be atleast cool-maybe luke warm tommorrow. What are fish doing this time of season/temp? The bedding? active or inactive? (read about active vs inactive fishing aswell) Do you suspect I will be luring them out of shallow grassy spots, or pulling from 5-7 ft?

Thats enough for now Thanks again folks.
Old 04-06-06, 11:59 PM   #23
Rebbasser

Quote:
Rebbasser, on the wacky rig, so I cast it and let it fall.. once it hits bottom to I move it or leave it? or work it like a worm pulling it up and letting it fall again?
Either way. I usually let it sit for a bit and then pull it off the bottom, let it sink, pull it off the bottom, etc. There really isn't a way to fish it wrong.
Old 04-07-06, 12:03 AM   #24
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Oh ye of little faith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
There really isn't a way to fish it wrong.
Rest assured, if there is... I will be the one to find it!
Old 04-07-06, 04:34 PM   #25
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

sounds like you tied the wrong type of knot using that braid it probably slipped

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.