Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-17-09, 10:55 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default First Bass Outing of 2009 - New PB!

Well, bass season here in MN still isn't open until next Saturday, but I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to IA and fish with my dad and uncle this past weekend. We went to a small 60-acre lake and I got my 2009 bass count off of zero almost right away.

Friday afternoon was overcast and cool by the time I got down there after work, so we headed to the lake right away at 3:00. It was cool enough that my dad (73) and uncle (65 and with health problems) didn't want to take the boat out, so I fished from various shoreline spots while they fished from the public docks. I started with by throwing a spinnerbait and a Yamasenko, but they kept coming back covered in green slime almost every time and that took longer to clean off than it was worth. So I switched to a gold-bladed buzzbait with a black/gold skirt. It wasn't long after that when I nailed a 17", 2lb 14oz largemouth to get my bass count started for the year. On the very next cast, I landed a 15.5", 2lb 8oz LM and my count was up to 2. Within the next half hour, I landed two more (both dinks) and the year was off to a very promising start. It had been drizzling lightly when I caught the two small ones and then started raining more steadily. I had my rain gear, but my dad and uncle didn't, so they were getting ready to head home. Just as they were leaving, I hooked into another one -- 18.5" and 3lb 4oz this time. I flagged them down in time to get a picture of it before they left. I stayed for another hour and had one more nice one hooked up before it jumped and spit the hook. Five for the night -- an excellent way to start the year.

Saturday afternoon was crazy-windy so I tried a different side of the lake for shore-fishing and found less of the green, slimy stuff there. Using a 7" Yamasenko (watermelon), I landed a 17", 2lb 12oz largemouth in the 90 minutes I was there (also had one miss on my buzzbait). After going home to grab a bite to eat, I headed back for a couple hours of evening fishing. It was cold and windy, so I was the only one who headed out to fish. Not long after I got there, my black/gold buzzer came through again, this time with a 17.5", 3lb 4oz toad -- much fatter than all of the previous ones. I tried a couple other spots that had yielded success the night before, but with no luck this time. I decided to head back to my "honey hole" where I had already caught 4 fish for the weekend and spend my last hour trying various things there. After no luck with a topwater frog, I noticed was switching to a black clacker buzzbait when I noticed a car drive up. It was my parents and my uncle coming to see how I was doing. I told them I had one so far and they decided to watch from the nearby foot bridge for a few minutes. While they were standing there, and after about 15 casts to various spots, I set the hook on what was soon to become my PB largemouth! Right away when I started fighting her, I knew it was a good one! When it got close to shore, I was pretty sure it was heavier than anything I had ever landed before (current PB was 4lb 2oz last fall). I was a little concerned about having no net and hoping my 12-lb test line wouldn't break as I had to hoist it about two feet to get it out of the water. Luckily for me, everything worked out and I landed her -- 19" and 4lb 12oz, a full 10oz over my previous best! And the bonus was that someone was there to take my picture with it before I released her back to the water. I fished for another half hour with no more luck, but I was giddy to have established a new PB and now have my yearly count up to 8.

All fish were released. Here are the photos. (You maybe know this already, but if you right click on any of them and then select "Open link in new window," you can see a bigger version of the pic.)

2lb 14oz
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3444.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	3567

2lb 8oz

Name:	IMG_3445.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	3568

3lb 4oz

Name:	IMG_3450.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	3569

2lb 12oz

Name:	IMG_3466.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	3573

3lb 4oz

Name:	IMG_3473.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	3570

Both of these are the 4lb 12oz hawg:

Name:	IMG_3476.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	3571Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3477.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	3572

Last edited by WatterBoy; 05-18-09 at 12:09 AM.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 12:06 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

great fish. but come on man, the vikings? jk, but those are some nice fish.
Old 05-18-09, 07:48 AM   #3
Bassboss

Nice bass man! I love the thrill you get when you catch a big one!
Old 05-18-09, 09:48 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Bro, that is a nice catch & congrats on the PB. You will soon graduate from the Watterboy to Aquaman!
Old 05-18-09, 10:57 AM   #5
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Awesome catching, gotta love those Minnesota bass. I'm coming up there for the opener this weekend...can't wait!

Congrats on the new PB!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 11:30 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

VERY nice fish.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 01:21 PM   #7
brushhog

great start to your season! thanks for sharing... Vikings?? Hmmm they still got a football team up there?
Old 05-18-09, 07:33 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Awesome catching, gotta love those Minnesota bass. I'm coming up there for the opener this weekend...can't wait!

Congrats on the new PB!
Actually, those were IOWA bass since the season isn't open here yet. This Saturday I'll be out after those Minnesota bass, though!
Old 05-18-09, 07:34 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Vikings?? Hmmm they still got a football team up there?
You wouldn't know it from the last several years. But the Twins are what really count anyway!
Old 05-19-09, 05:35 PM   #10
WatterBoy

And here is the best part of this story. My dad, who will be 74 this June, had been to this lake several times already this spring without even sniffing a bass. So when I left to head back home on Sunday, I convinced him to keep the two buzzbaits I had caught all my LM on. He used them on Monday night and caught a PB bass of his own - 4.0 pounds - plus he had another hit that he missed. His previous PB was probably around 2 pounds. Over the last 2-3 years, I have just gotten him into LM bass fishing and am enjoying teaching him what little I know so far. He used to fish for crappies and yellow bass all the time. I told him I was way more excited to hear about the 4 lb-er he caught than any of the ones I caught over the weekend. I wasn't there to see it, but I still can't stop smiling when I think about the rush I know he felt when he nailed a big pig on a topwater bait! I just got him into using frogs last year, and now we have added buzzers to his arsenal -- COOL!
Old 05-19-09, 07:44 PM   #11
bamabassman

watterboy, first great fish man, truly awesum pics. and second............ you are truly a great son, giving your father the buzzie and telling how to use and helping him to land fish is the greatest thing in the world. he taught YOU how to be a great person, and you are returning the favor. gota love that in a person. you 2 need to attend next years get together. i for one would love to shake your hand and tell you in person what i just typed. great story. and it is a continuing story at that. keep it ocming. loving it pal.
Old 05-19-09, 08:19 PM   #12
WatterBoy

Thanks for the kind words, Bama. I hope to have more stories to share as the season progresses.
Old 05-20-09, 06:37 PM   #13
286pro
BassFishin.Com Member

and this makes the bad days better......
Old 05-26-09, 11:17 PM   #14
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
watterboy, first great fish man, truly awesum pics. and second............ you are truly a great son, giving your father the buzzie and telling how to use and helping him to land fish is the greatest thing in the world. he taught YOU how to be a great person, and you are returning the favor. gota love that in a person. you 2 need to attend next years get together. i for one would love to shake your hand and tell you in person what i just typed. great story. and it is a continuing story at that. keep it ocming. loving it pal.
Update - My dad went to the lake again last night and nailed 3 more on the gold/black buzzbait I gave him -- 2lb 8oz, 1lb 11oz and 3lb 0oz. He's probably never caught that many nice bass in one outing before, so this is very cool. I can't wait to get back to IA later this summer to fish with him so I can get some pics of him holding his fish instead of just the fish in the pics.

Name:	DSCF0044.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	3654Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0046.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	3655Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0050.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	3656
Old 05-27-09, 12:54 AM   #15
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Minn. Man? My friend is going up to Duluth for University. Land of a thousand lakes..looks like more IMO :P
Old 05-27-09, 02:20 AM   #16
cassidyta

Very nice and consistant day.
Old 05-27-09, 08:26 AM   #17
ROBZILLA

Great job dude. I like to see a guy fishing frome shore with great success!
Old 05-27-09, 01:20 PM   #18
aikenyounggun

good job on the PB.... nice fish

but whats up with the vikings.... tryin to steal Brett Favre.... Im a packer fan so im not that happy about that

good fish tho

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.