Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-09, 08:18 AM   #1
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What was the name of that fishing show?

Years ago there was a fishing show featuring two Canadian hosts. One of the host name was something like, Othello, or something like that. Does anyone remember that name of that show?

AF
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 11:47 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Do you mean "Canadian Sportfishing" with Italo Labignan?

http://www.canadian-sportfishing.com/
Old 12-31-09, 12:31 PM   #3
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Do you mean "Canadian Sportfishing" with Italo Labignan?

http://www.canadian-sportfishing.com/
That is it! Thanks for much. For the life of my I couldn't remember. I was watching Reel Fishing with Bob Izumi and I was thinking about that show. Thanks!

Andy
Old 12-31-09, 12:32 PM   #4
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Who was his co-host?

Andy
Old 12-31-09, 08:46 PM   #5
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfender View Post
Who was his co-host?

Andy
Henry Waszczuk.
There was something that happened with one or both of those guys, maybe some irregularities, ethical issues or something along those lines, but I can't remember the details. Just found something:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/special/...r_worse7.shtml

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 09:25 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Interesting read, Marty.

However, it raises an interesting question. I've heard Canada has a bass season. But how exactly does one fish for something else if the penalty is for "catching" bass, and not keeping them? I mean, if I'm fishing for walleye, and I hook a bass, am I now in violation of the fishing regulations?
Old 01-01-10, 08:54 PM   #7
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Interesting read, Marty.

However, it raises an interesting question. I've heard Canada has a bass season. But how exactly does one fish for something else if the penalty is for "catching" bass, and not keeping them? I mean, if I'm fishing for walleye, and I hook a bass, am I now in violation of the fishing regulations?
I assume your comment is based from this statement in the article:

"They were at the top of their game when, in 1998, they were fined $1,800 for several fishing violations, including catching bass out of season."

I haven't seen the regulations, but I'd have to assume the statement isn't literally correct. My guess is that the rules states that bass can't be targeted and/or kept during the off-season. To penalize for catching is to effectively prohibit fishing for anything during the closed season for bass.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 05:25 PM   #8
redlikeme
BassFishin.Com Member

I thought the local scuttlebut was they were fishing for salmon in a local river, and having no luck. Under pressure to put a show together, they went upstream a bit and got caught fishing in a "sanctuary zone". That's what the rumours say....

Ahh, here's what I found on another forum.

"Here is some background for those who did not hear about the Canadian Sport Fishing issue

CRTC, April 1998:
Canadian Sportfishing host Henry Waszczuk has been fined
$800 in Peterborough court for fishing out of season. The TSN
personality was charged with catching 10 bass before the
season opened...

Fish Ontario, July 1998:
TV anglers turfed by peers
TELEVISION fishing stars Henry Waszczuk and Italo Labignan had their Outdoor Writers of Canada (OWC) memberships revoked at the organization's annual membership meeting in late May, held in Victoria, BC.

OWC guidelines of professional conduct state,"Members should never violate fish, game, conservation, or environmental laws or regulations." Waszczuk and Canadian Sportfishing co-host Labignan pleaded guilty on five illegal fishing charges in just over one month and paid $3,400 in fines. The pair were each fined $800 on April 3 in Trenton court for foul-hooking Trent River whitefish in November 1995 and rehooking them in the mouth for filming. Labignan was also fined another $200 for hooking another angler's out-of-season lake trout to his own line and recording it being brought in.

In Peterborough court April 16, Waszczuk pleaded guilty to fishing for bass out of season near Minden on June 16, 1995. He was fined $800. On May 4, Waszcuk was fined another $800 for fishing salmon on October 13, 1995, in a Bronte Creek closed area."
redlikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 01:13 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Man...those guys should move to the U.S. and run for Congress!

Especially since U.S. citizenship is no longer required.....<snicker>
Old 01-08-10, 08:36 PM   #10
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Interesting read, Marty.

Its a bit of a gray area that depends on the Warden's interpretation of what you're "targeting." I know guys who strictly target bedding bass before the season with their light and med light action crappie tackle, using 3" curly-tail grubs. They know that the 3" grub is too big for spring crappies and instead attracts bass, but is the Warden going to bust them for using 3" grubs instead of 1-2" grubs? Not likely. It may demand on the mood of the Warden that day, the anglers history or attitude, etc.

Very gray IMO. Too gray to be shelling out fines and seizing tackle, so people bend the rules sometimes. I love crappie fishing in the Spring when the pencil reeds are just emerging, and although I'm on the lake for the slabs, if I were to say I've never tossed a beetle spin at what looked like a bass bed, I'd be lying.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 03:56 PM   #11
redlikeme
BassFishin.Com Member

I know in Ontario, the bass season opens the 4th Saturday in June (which is so far away from this cold dreary January day it makes me want to cry).

I know a lot of place have a pre-spawn catch and release season, and I thought studies show that it doesn't damage the fishery. Wish we had that

Only 5 more months of waiting......
redlikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 04:11 PM   #12
nofearengineer

I think it's almost funny, how Canadians sit back and take being abused like that.

I read that there are a lot of "Conservation" lakes, where you are allowed to keep one fish for a "fisherman's lunch," but you can't take any with you.

Maybe I'm just being a jerk, but if I paid a couple thousand dollars to fly into one of those lakes and fish, I'm bringing a 4-foot sandwich bun and a gallon of tartar sauce for that trophy Muskie, and I'm gonna give it my best try.
Old 01-16-10, 11:35 AM   #13
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This scandal is very old news.
As I recall, those two were shooting a show and thought they had special permission to do their filming in the week before the Bass season actually opened. This was to get footage without a lot of other boats on the water etc.

Unfortunately, there was a breakdown in communication and they got busted. When the story broke, it was no big deal. The stars admitted their wrong-doing, explained it was a misunderstanding, apologized and were ready to pay their fine. However by the time it was all finished, there were all kinds of accusations and revelations by helpers and cameramen etc. about other misdeeds.

Whether they were the first or last TV show to ever land the same fish twice to get something on film, or so that they could re-shoot with a better background etc. I don't know...Is it cheating? Sure it is but it's also show business, not reality.

IMO, the truth was that other people in the outdoor writing and TV industry, in Canada, were jealous of the rapid success that Henry and Italo had attained. Things went from Zero to Sixty when their contemporaneous insisted that the "Book be Thrown at Them."

Henry had been a star in the CFL (Canadian Football League.)
At or just before retirement, he had joined forces with Italo and they had taken "Just another 30 minute TV fishing show" and parlayed it into a huge operation that included a slick paged magazine with color pictures and a Travel Agency that booked fishing trips all over the world. This at a time when the only other sports magazines in Canada were printed on newsprint!

As far as incidental catches of out of season fish are concerned, the rules are fairly simply. Season openings are staggered to protect spawning fish. Where the species are heavily pressured, some lakes are closed to all fishing until Lake Trout or Walleye have finished spawning. Where the lake is open for panfish and Pike in May for instance, it's common to accidentally catch Small-mouth Bass while fishing shoals or Large mouth in shallow bays. So long as you aren't targeting Bass no problem, but you must return the fish to the water ASAP...no pictures etc. Is it hard to enforce, yes, but it's Canada ...people expect you to play by the rules.

Like the northern mid-west and northeastern States, fish in Canada have a very short growing season. These trophy lake that were mentioned tend to way-way up north where the only access is from fly-in camps. If you want to fish there, you know the rules before you put your money down.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.