Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-30-09, 12:21 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Spro Frog Strikes

Well I finally got to make a trip with my old time fishing buddy. We haven't got to go in a while, so I called him on my way home from Port Arthur, TX while I was leaving work to make plans for a trip. Well I thought the plan was going to be a bust, but he found a private pond to put us on this morning. Fishing was slow, 5 fish in 3 hours, but a ton of blow ups. And as some of us know, it's not all about filling the livewell, but the memories and the relationships we build on the water. But I did finally get to justify the 8.99 (not including tax) for the Spro Frog I bought a while back. The pond was loaded with the lilies and I have been telling my buddy I had been wanting to throw the frog to just get some strikes. Well, he put me on them. About 30 minutes into the morning I had a big blow up on the edge of the pads and finally dug the 2 lber out of the cabbage. (*Note to self, take a glove for pulling 30lb braid out of the pads, it hurts.) I fished a while and had a few blow ups. All the fish were coming from a reaction type retrieve. If I bumped the frog along, nothing. But when I would burn it back to the boat, they would blow up on it. My buddy landed one about a pound on a weigtless lizard. I turned around a followed up with another 2 lber. Andd he answered with another pounder on the liz. I missed a few more fish. (*Note to self #2, wait to feel the fish.) But near the end of the morning about 9, spla-doosh. I landed this 3.5 lber and concluded the day.

My buddy practices "Catch & Release, into Grease" and I went to put the fish in the cooler. It was classic, just like anyone who sits on a block of ice, you jump. I went to lower the fish in to the cooler and as soon as I let her go, flopped and made a classic self release. I laughed while my buddy just sort of looked at me with a gaze. I told him, it was too big to eat anyways. We tend to release anything around four and up though. But we had a good time anyways. He had 4 good fish to make a meal for him and his wife. I thought I would throw in this pic of my kids. Ask them how big their fish are and you get:
Old 05-30-09, 12:27 AM   #2
cassidyta

Great report Bubba. This may sound dumb as hell, but I recently started making it a point not to watch my frog when I am reeling it in. It forced me to wait for the fish to set the hook. I got th eidea from when I talked with a blind fisherman. My hook up ratio on frogs went through the roof once I stopped trusting my eyes more than my my sense of touch on the rod.
Old 05-30-09, 01:00 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

I hear you man, but with cabbage like we had today, I am always scared that the fish will be so wrapped in the junk, I will never pull them out. And the 3 I caught, inhaled the son of a gun. But you gotta love those blow ups. Every fish I saw today came all the way out of the water. And everyone one of them were around or over the 2 lb range. And I remember the post about the gentleman you are reffering to. I will have to just turn my head after they hit. I just can't help but to watch.
Old 05-30-09, 07:21 AM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bubba that is outstanding man. thank you for a detailed story. great fish too. oh and i love the size the boys are giving, hahahahaha. see gang, they out fish ol pop. hahaha.

and i would love to run a buzzbait or spro frog across that part where the pic is taken.
Old 05-30-09, 07:24 AM   #5
Bassboss

Wow! That a great bass man! I gotta find me a place with pads like that!
Old 05-30-09, 10:03 AM   #6
3dkicker

That's frog slop fishing right there! Did you throw a follow-up bait to the ones that missed? Sometimes they'll miss but come back for seconds.
Old 05-30-09, 12:28 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

3d, I reckon I was so excited, I didn't even think about a follow up bait to tell you the truth. They would hit the frog a second time. I think I will throw a buzz bait or a fluke on rod 2 next time. Or any other suggestions.
Old 05-30-09, 04:27 PM   #8
3dkicker

Speed worm is used frequently as a follow up. So is a Trick worm. To me it depends on the cover. I use something that will sink below the pads or grass. Caught a 4+ last year on a follow up strike on a horny toad I allowed to sink into the hole the bass created on it's first attempt. You can't do that with the Spro frogs.
Old 05-30-09, 07:20 PM   #9
JB

I always throw a worm back in the new opened hole to see if anything will follow up on the blow up, if not its back to running the frog through the slop
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 07:55 PM   #10
keithdog

I have to agree with JB on tossing a worm back at the blowup. Also, I'll often toss a soft jerkbait back at the blowup spot. I'll use a soft jerkbait with a belly weighted hook and let it slowly wobble down into the hole.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.