Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-10, 10:26 PM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
The one i want is $1200.00
Holy smokes, Bama....what are you getting? Are you getting one of the ones that have a keychain remote control? Or the ones that go up and down on their own? $1200....must be a good one.
Old 01-13-10, 12:42 AM   #27
spruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Spruce, current x time = energy.

Amp - hours is a measure of energy.

What you are saying is that by connecting two batteries in parallel, you somehow have more energy than if you connect them in series. Batteries have the same amount of energy stored in them regardless of how they are connected.

Stop comparing a 55 lb motor to a 70 lb motor. If you have a 55 lb motor designed to run at 12V, and a 55 lb motor designed to run at 24V, the 24V motor will run longer, and there's simply no ifs, and, or buts about it. It's Ohm's Law.
I know ohms law, current x time=energy....IS NOT OHMS LAW!! I think you dont understand how batteries work Amp-hour is a unit of electrical charge. Amp-hour,Mah, etc is a measurement of the Capacity of a battery.
Wiring 2 batteries in parallel double the capacity. You can probably save some time and learn something by just googleing it.
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 01:21 AM   #28
nofearengineer

Okay, Spruce...let me stop trying to talk in laymen's terms. If I start talking about coulombs, people's eyes are going to glaze over.

current x time = charge

I admit, I was incorrect in my choice of the word "energy"...it was too hastily typed.

current x time x voltage = energy

I never said this was Ohm's Law.

Ohm's Law is the defining principal in determining resistance losses.

If you run a 12V motor, you will have half the voltage, but twice the current of a 24V setup. Once again, this is for different voltage motors of the same thrust rating. The two-battery connection (series vs. parallel) does not matter.

What does matter is the resistance of the wires to the trolling motor, and the resistance of the windings in the motor itself. This is where Ohm's Law, V = IR (for DC only) comes into play. Resistance losses are based upon the square of the current:

power = voltage x current = I*R*I = I^2*R

When you double the voltage, you halve the current, but the resistance losses in the wire change by a factor of 4; i.e, only 25% of the resistance losses in a 24V system vs. a 12V system. This is what provides extra running time to a 24V system vs. a parallel battery 12V system.

I don't really need to Google it.

I taught circuits at the college level, and I'm an Electrical Engineer.

This topic is closed as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 01-13-10 at 01:57 AM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 07:40 AM   #29
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cool, The warter is frozen anyway here.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 09:36 PM   #30
bamabassman

Haha, no bryce it ain't the keyless remot i don't think. But it is wireless remote. Brand new 82# thrust motorguide or minn kota.
Old 01-13-10, 11:11 PM   #31
nofearengineer

Bama...you need to be very careful if you get that thing before May. Some hoosier thief might run off with it at Dale Hollow.
Old 01-14-10, 07:57 PM   #32
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Haha, no bryce it ain't the keyless remot i don't think. But it is wireless remote. Brand new 82# thrust motorguide or minn kota.
Dang it all, John! When you get ready to buy one come over here and we can go over to BPS and get you the 80# Minn Kota for around $999 or less. Where are you shopping at $1200?
Old 01-14-10, 09:04 PM   #33
bamabassman

Ok bob you got a deal pal. The dealer i bought my rig from showed it to me online. I ain't biased on whether it is a motorguide or minn kota. Just as long as it is at least 80# thrust. I'll call you when the time comes for real. The one i liked is a WIRELESS remote. But it doesn't really matter it isn't. One thing i DO know is the one i have now ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.