Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-09, 01:56 AM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Looking for ideas on rain gear

Hey Guys,

First of all, Happy Holidays to everyone! I haven`t been on this forum for awhile but thought I would check in and say hi to my old friends and some new ones too.

Okay, I also need some advice from you guys..........

I want to buy some quality rain gear but am unsure what I should get. I`ll give you an idea of when and how I intend to use it and then will sit back and wait for any help you can give me.

I fish from a small boat mostly and also from shore occasionally. I would like gear I can use from early spring to late fall. I don`t mind layering underneath if necessary. The most important thing for me is staying dry. Fishing from a small boat and shore means kneeling in puddles and sitting on soaked seats or the ground is a way of life for me......I need my gear to hold up to these conditions.

I would prefer bibs to regular pants for the upper body coverage when bending over (happens a lot in a small boats...). I`m 6`4, so tall sizes work better for me. I DONT want to boil in them if I wear them during summer rainstorms (which happen a lot up here).

I have done a lot of research but the options are endless and confusing......any help is appreciated.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 02:23 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

How you doing, buddy?

Definitely go with Gore-Tex. For what you are describing I'd bite the bullet and go with Cabela's Guidegear or a BPS Pro Qualifier suit. I have the BPS suit but I know Kevin swears by the Cabelas gear. Also, don't even think about not going with the bibs. Bibs are the only way to go. Either one of those suits will do the job quite nicely.
Old 12-24-09, 02:44 AM   #3
WallStreetAmigo

Thanks Reb! How did I know you would be the first to respond.....I can always count on you to steer me in the right direction. Gore-Tex is what I have been looking at very closely with the BPS and Cabelas you mention being the front runners.

I am wondering about sizing. I will not be able to get into either Cabelas or BPS anytime soon to try them on so I will have to order online. I dont know if I should go a size bigger than I normally wear. I would rather have something be a bit loose than too tight......what do you think.....

As for me, I am doing great. I have been catching bass like crazy on those spinnerbaits you sent me way back when.......I guard them with my life.......lol. My wife caught the bass fever and has become my number one fishing buddy after she caught a six pound largie last May (no small feat up here in Canada). And my kids are getting to the age where they really love going out with me too. Fishing has become even more fun with the family getting into it. I started fishing (and organizing) some small tournaments and have not finished lower than 5th place yet (or higher than 3rd....lol.) It is a lot of fun though and a totally different environment to fish in. I like the challenge but the rain gear will undoubtedly make 8 hours on the water during a Canadian April a lot more bearable.........
Old 12-24-09, 08:50 AM   #4
Mac2

I recently read somewhere that bibs can be dangerous should you enter the water. Pants and Jacket type raingear may be safer according to the post.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 09:42 AM   #5
cwenbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rain suit

I have the pro qualifier suit and I love it. I actually saved close to $100 on the parka and bibs because I bought it online during the spring classic.
cwenbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 09:57 AM   #6
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I will be the 3rd person to say the BPS Pro Qualifier. I have the parka and pants and won't leave home without them.

As for sizing I'm pretty sure they all have the tall size.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 11:06 AM   #7
bassboogieman

If you would have asked 2 weeks ago you could have save a LOT of money. Cabela's had their Guide Wear, which is about the best available, on sale at closeout prices. I bought a Parka (reg. $229) for $79 and bibs (reg. $219) for $119. I really didn't need another rain suit but I upgraded from a jacket to parka and pants to bibs which better covers the lower back when you bend over. At those prices it was an opportunity that I could not pass up. BPS brand is good but I have several items of Guide Wear and they are the best I've seen. You may want to check Cabelas website, some may still be availabe in limited sizing. Speaking of size, the Guide Wear runs true to size and are available in regular and tall.
This is still available: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat150012&rid=

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-24-09 at 01:13 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 11:56 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have a set of Gander Mtn. bibs and 2 in 1 coat. I've used them in everything from rain to wind to ice fishing. I'd check out Gander Mtn because of the sales they have. I got both of mine for $100 bucks, originally $100 each. If you don't mind camo, and are on a budget, these are great. The only down side is they seem a bit more bulky than the Guide Wear or Pro Qualifier/100mph suits.

BB
Old 12-24-09, 03:10 PM   #9
rrw4258

Well, i started tournament fishing this season, and my first tournament i thought huh.... i dont need rain gear. It was 30 degrees for the high that day and hailing. I quickly changed my mind in the next week and by watching the hotdeals forum on ogf.com I picked the FLW Outdoors raingear jacket and bibs for $10 a piece. Of all places they were at Big Lots stores all over NW Ohio. That is a steep discount by any means. I regret not picking up everyset they had and resold them. They have kept me dry for this whole season and are in brand new shape! If you can find them I recommend the FLW raingear.

Ryan
Old 12-24-09, 03:57 PM   #10
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I got my Cabela's Guidewear - the old kind without all the waterproof zippers a few months ago and I love them. I've fished with them in the snow and all that. They keep you absolutely warm. Just your hands get cold.

I did enter the water with the bibs on and I was fine. But it was only 4' deep.

And welcome back Amigo!
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 07:01 PM   #11
Rebbasser

WSA, the PQ suit is cut pretty big so you can layer under it. I've worn long johns, fleece and sweats at the same time under them with no problems. I'd sure bet the Cabelas suit is cut the same way.
Old 12-28-09, 04:56 PM   #12
Reel Deal
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the BPS gore-tex. I guess its called pro qualifier now. I've had mine for many years. I'm 6'4", 270 lbs, the xx-large tall fits fine with room to layer underneath. In the summer thunderstorms which come up in the evening, I stay dry and the suit allows perspiration to escape from against my body. Well worth the money. It will last for years with alittle care.
Reel Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 05:48 PM   #13
BeaverIslander

Here's mine. Love it. Too bad the tall sizes are sold out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...162&hasJS=true
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 11:46 AM   #14
Jigger

Gore tex in my opinion is a rip off. Over the last 30 years or so I've owned at least 3 Gore Tex rain suits, numerous pairs of Gore Tex boots and a Simms fly fishing Guide jacket that cost $400 about 7 or so years ago and they all let me get wet. I've never tried the Cabelas or BPS guide wear or whatever they call it but I have had NO luck with Gore Tex. If you fish in it in really hard rain and over a few years, it will leak on you. That's my experience. I now use my $400 Simms jacket for a windbreaker. Pretty expensive windbreaker.

I carry two rubber rain suits. I put the first one on if it looks like light rain and then I put the second one on over the first if it looks like big rain. I fish tournaments and I'm not coming in when it rains hard. The rubber is hot but I haven't found anything other than rubber that I trust.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 07:15 PM   #15
WallStreetAmigo

Awesome advice and info guys! Thanks so much.
Old 01-03-10, 11:27 PM   #16
BustinBass197
BassFishin.Com Member

The only thing about the pro quaifier suit is it will be hot to wear in the summer. I just have a Marmot goretex pac-lite jacket and bib. It is paperthin. All it blocks is the water and wind. It ha sno insulation whatsoever, but that is what layering is for. It is a little pricey, but I have been using it for 6 years now and I wear it everywhere else too. Soem other good outershell manufacturers are Acrytex, Mountain Hardwear, North Face, Cluumbia, Patagonia, OR. These manufacturers make stuff that is built to last and they stand by their products but like I said a little pricey on the other hand so is the BPS 100 mph and pro qualifier stuff.
BustinBass197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 02:50 AM   #17
TN_Bassin

I've got a couple rainsuits I wear in different situations. I have a 100Mph rainsuit for Spring, Summer, and Fall. I wear the Redhead Mountain Stalker (not a rain or wind suit by name but it is more than qualified) in the Winter because it keeps me warmer than the 100Mph when it's below freezing. Both work well and I haven't had any problems with the 100Mph rainsuit as far as leaking goes, only part that gets wet is the neoprene cuffs on the parka and that isn't that big of a deal.
Old 01-06-10, 05:15 PM   #18
3dkicker

I've gone with Columbia Omnitech gear for the past 8 years or so. They've done well over the years but they do wear out. I got the pants for $60 and the jacket w/o liner for $150 (on sale). The jacket, which comes in long sizes, doesn't leak but the pants need to be replaced. I don't know if they make bibs. I wear them all year long and they do get a little hot in the summer but then again it's usually in the 90's when it rains.
Old 01-08-10, 07:32 PM   #19
Hugo_Hogz
BassFishin.Com Member

I started with the Gander mountain TecH2O parka and bibs (currently on sale) the only problem I had with them was that the bibs were too long for me. Then at the time they had the Gander mountain gore-tex parka, and bibs on sale for $75 off each. The gore-tex bibs had velcro straps on the legs has an overall better fit and feel so I returned the TecH2O and went with the gore-tex. I couldn't be happier, but this setup definitely isn't for the warm rainy days. Here in Mn it's perfect for the early and late season.
Hugo_Hogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 02:14 PM   #20
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used the Columbia Omnitech for a few years, but honestly for the money I think that the army surplus BDU's Goretex pants and jacket are they way to go. I have never gotten wet in that gear and I figure if it is good enough for the troops its good enough for a day on the lake.
AMC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 08:01 PM   #21
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
Awesome advice and info guys! Thanks so much.
WSA I have the BPS 100 mph suit and it would be way too warm in the summer months. I would strongly advise you to look at the Frog Togg line of suits. I had the bibs and jacket for about 4 years before they finally bit the dust, but I am going to get some more before the really warmer weather hits.
Great seeing you on here again! How's your site doing?

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.