Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-30-09, 08:54 AM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Reel Maintenance - Oil & Grease

Well just finished the year end tear down and cleaning of all the reels, hot sauce oil and grease on all reels. This got me thinking about oils and grease for reels. I have always been a Quantum Hot Sauce fan and have been happy with the results. What does everyone else use?, especailly with all the latest lubrication products on the market.

Ryan
Old 12-30-09, 09:49 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've used hot sauce, and like it guess, but I really never know what I'm doing and some how end up cutting down on the performance of my reels. Thus far my tension knob is broke on my BPS johnny.
Old 12-30-09, 09:53 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Dang Ryan, got that out of the way quick. What you gonna do in Jan, Feb, and possibly march? lol.

I've previously used Abu's products except for bearings, which I use the thinner oil that comes with Daiwa reels. I'm seriously thinking about getting some hot sauce this year since I've heard it recommended quite a bit lately.

I've yet to start my reel cleaning, but I'm going to be going a bit more in depth this year. Possibly cleaning bearings in lighter fluid and greasing them. I still think a reel maintenance video would be great and very helpful *cough, cough, kevin, cough*

BB
Old 12-30-09, 10:53 AM   #4
Jrob78

Ardent Reel Butter for me. I use the bearing lube, oil and grease, great products!! Be careful with Quantum Hot Sauce, I've heard that its use can void factory warranties. I don't know how true that is but I do know that I've heard that and I've read threads on other forums asking how to clean Hot Sauce out of reels so that they could be sent back for repair/replacement/warranty work.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 11:32 AM   #5
doc

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard hot sauce will gum up a reel. Something to do with the die or coloring they use. Anyone have any experience with this?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 12:33 PM   #6
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the Ardent Reel Kleen kit. It has oil, grease, a cleaning solution to get off all the old grease, screwdriver, small applicators, toothbrush, and cloth. It works wonders for all my reels and I would definitely recommend to anyone else who is interested in tuning them for the upcoming season.
Old 12-31-09, 02:03 AM   #7
BeaverIslander

I began using the Hot Sauce this year and as far as I can tell, it's not a heck of a lot different than Remington Gun Oil, which I had previously used for years. Plus, Rem Oil is dirt cheap and doesn't gum up.

I, for one, would LOVE to see a reel maintenance video on the site to show the do's and don't of oiling a reel.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 12:15 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
I began using the Hot Sauce this year and as far as I can tell, it's not a heck of a lot different than Remington Gun Oil, which I had previously used for years. Plus, Rem Oil is dirt cheap and doesn't gum up.

I, for one, would LOVE to see a reel maintenance video on the site to show the do's and don't of oiling a reel.
Great idea Beaver!!! I'd like to see the same.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 04:28 PM   #9
nofearengineer

There are a lot of those videos already on Youtube, guys. They're there...I promise.
Old 12-31-09, 05:47 PM   #10
Kevin
Administrator

Hi guys... Will do. There is so much bad information out there about reel maintenance you have to be very careful. I'm astonished at some of the advice I've read in magazines and online. Hopefully it can be of help to people when I post it up.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 06:14 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hi guys... Will do. There is so much bad information out there about reel maintenance you have to be very careful. I'm astonished at some of the advice I've read in magazines and online. Hopefully it can be of help to people when I post it up.
Sweet! That's great kevin! Make sure you do a few reels too. BPS brand too.
Old 12-31-09, 06:31 PM   #12
Kevin
Administrator

Just FYI... I did do a little talking about reel maintenance in the first radio show. I think I talk about my new ultrasonic water cleaner (LOVE IT) and a few other details. Not that it's enough to learn from or anything, but thought I'd share if you haven't heard already.

About the Quantum Hot Sauce... I know it's probably not the very best oil or grease on the market, but I've had zero problems with it and the reason I like it so much is because it's red. You can see exactly where you're putting it and more importantly, how much. Most problems stem from over greasing. People who grease their reel gears the first time tend to think they need to be liberal with it, like it will make the reel smoother or something. Nah.. it doesn't. Less is more.
Old 12-31-09, 06:33 PM   #13
Jigger

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I really never know what I'm doing and some how end up cutting down on the performance of my reels.
Ditto that! I just keep the outside clean and spray them down occassionally with Reel Magic or something like that. I used to try and clean my reels but after I'd put them back together, they performed worse and I'd usually end up with several spare parts I didn't have when I took them apart.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 06:37 PM   #14
Kevin
Administrator

Ohh...

P.S. Big Big BIG updates and changes coming.

SOON SOON SOON!
Old 12-31-09, 06:41 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Ohh...

P.S. Big Big BIG updates and changes coming.

SOON SOON SOON!
AWESOME!! Can't wait to see 'em Kevin!

Happy new year btw!
Old 01-01-10, 01:52 AM   #16
Rebbasser

Been using Hot Sauce for years with NO problems. Like Kevin, I like it because it is red and I can see where it goes.
Old 01-03-10, 01:18 PM   #17
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Excellent.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.