Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-26-10, 05:18 PM   #1
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Table Rock - 3 Lures

If you were heading to Table Rock in mid April, and could only use (3) lures, which ones do you choose and why?
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 05:39 PM   #2
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I couldn't do table rock on three lures only, but suspended jerkbait would have to be one. Probably french fries or centipedes (with assortment of weights) in green pumkin would be another (or maybe watermelon seed), and I would have to go with a football head jig with a twin tail grub trailer or a rage craw trailer. Still would want DD22's and Spinnerbaits as well but that makes 5. I would find a way to sneak more than just three baits.
Old 01-26-10, 06:38 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Table Rock and only 3 baits........WOW that is a tall order, Like basstech I would like to have a lot more than 3 baits to choose from but here goes:

1. Football jig (a very dangerous bait on this lake at all times but especially in the spring when you can find fish stacked up on secondary points, plus you can flip/pitch it to beds if need be).

2. Shakey head (I hate finesse fishing but on Table Rock it is hard to beat a shakey head)

3. Spinnerbait (if all else fails I would run up James river or Kings river and find some water with a little color to it and throw a spinnerbait).

I would also like to have a Spook or Sammy for schooling fish early, a lot of shad colored crankbaits, Fish doctors on a splitshot rig, and I could probably go on and on about other baits I would take with me but you asked for just 3 so there they are.
Old 01-26-10, 09:54 PM   #4
CamG

I realize that it's tough to answer, but I am just trying to find a common denominator. I'm obviously taking more lures than that, but trying to get a grip on what works mid April.

I've been to the Rock 3 times, with each trip learning a little more. This will be my first April trip (mainly trying to find a shallower bite) with one trip in late Feb, one early March and the last one was in mid August.

I think my plan is to fish the Indian Point area, as the last two spring trips, the most action I found was in this area. Any others close by to look into?
Old 01-26-10, 10:38 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There is another thread about Table Rock in April on specific water forum. Here is a post I made there if it helps:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if you have ever been to Table Rock before of not but if not here is a little information about this lake: It is very deep and very clear with a lot of bluffs and a lot of timber. It is nothing to be in well over 100 foot of water on Table Rock and it is nothing to see the bottom in 15 to 20 feet of water. It is a very challenging lake and being good a finesse fishing is a plus for sure. As you go up the creeks and rivers the water starts getting color to it but on the main lake it is gin clear. Great largemouth lake but one of the best spotted bass lakes in the world.

Right now Table Rock as well as all the rest of our lakes have a lot of ice on them, which is pretty rare for around here (I think last time they froze was in the mid 90s). So it's anyones guess who fast the water will warm up this spring. They could be on beds, they could be pre-spawn, or they could be post spawn. If they are pre-spawn I would thrown a jerkbait on mainlake and secondary points (a lot of the best points have cedar trees on them, of course the lake is pretty much covered with cedar trees though lol), a spinnerbait will probably be your friend in this situation here. If the fish are on beds then I would stick to the White River part of the lake because the water gets a little dirtier up the rivers (not saying you won't catch fish up Kings River or James River though but if you are going to be bed fishing then the White River/Main lake would probably be your best bet). If they are post spawn I would hit a lot of mainlake and secondary points with carolina rigs, football jigs, and shakey heads. Also channel swings can produce a lot of good fish as can boat docks. Just remember the wind is your friend, this is true on all lakes but it makes a HUGE difference on the Rock.

Also when it gets closer to the time you will be here check out this website: www.ozarkanglers.com because there is a Table Rock forum that is packed with reports and tips from locals and guides.

Also when fishing jigs and softplastics you can't go wrong with PB&J, Green Pumpkin, Watermelon, and Watermelon Candy.

Here is a guide on Table Rock that our jig company sponsors, he is one of the best guides on this difficult lake and is good about keeping a report up to date on his website. http://www.bransonfishingguideservice.com/
Old 01-27-10, 10:11 AM   #6
CamG

I appreciate it! I'm not too familiar with the James or the White River areas. I'll have to look at those as well.
Old 01-27-10, 11:11 AM   #7
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wiggle Wart in Phantom Green Craw.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 11:18 AM   #8
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
Wiggle Wart in Phantom Green Craw.
BassBandit.. Would you mind elaborating a bit as to why you like this lure so much for Table Rock? Thanks.
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 02:31 PM   #9
jbielefeldt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Where to fish in the Rock

I fish Table Rock frequently. I fish the James River from Cape Fair to Kimberling City and the main lake by Indian Point.

Cape Fair (my favorite)
The lake is shallower (50-60ft in the channel) and much less clear than the main lake. It's great if it's windy because of the high sides. The water warms sooner there than the main lake. So timing is everything. Big Piney is a big spawning cove with lots of timber.

Aunt's Creek
Great Cove. It has spawning areas and deep water too. Nice place to hit if you missed the bite upstream.

Kimberling City
Much like the main lake but the river channel is still a big structural feature. Especially where the 2 rivers join. It also has good spawning coves.

Main lake
Super clear most of the time and super deep (200 ft). Nice because you can catch smallies too, where the James river is mostly blacks and spots. I like the main lake in the June to catch fish on the big points during the shad spawn. Flukes and drop shot baby!

During the spring you can fish different kinds of conditions depending where your at. The rivers warm faster and spawn sooner than the main lake. So I like to see where they're biting or where I'm catching by trying different water. The main lake might have a jerk bair bite while in Cape Fair, fish have moved up and jigs and worms are hot.

I fish spinner baits only if there is a chop on the water - need wind.

Summer time for me is night fishing. The big ones come up at night.

Good luck.
jbielefeldt is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.