Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-11, 02:22 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Boats for sale without motors

Does anyone know of any websites or companies that sell fishing boats without motors? And I'm not talking about jonboats.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 03:56 PM   #2
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nothing new I know of besides carolina skiff (great flats boat). A dealer might be able to order one for ya though. Worth a shot.
Old 04-06-11, 04:11 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

My understanding is that with most of the new boats (excluding the high end fishing boats), the bulk of the price is the motor. I am looking for a new boat without an engine. Something similar to what I have now (Bayliner Trophy 15' trihull) but with a livewell, compartments, carpeted, etc. I know I can do that with my current boat but with the time, labor, and costs, I might be better off with a new boat. The reason I am asking is I have noticed some cracking around the motor mount on the back of the boat. The boat I have is 20 years old and not been garage kept so I know there is some dryrot going on. I want to look at the pricing of a new fishing boat without the motor.
Old 04-06-11, 04:35 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn

I talked with a dealer for Carolina Skiffs. He said without engine or trailer, the boat I was looking for would start around $4k and go up from there. My questions is when I look at these new fishing boats come with engines, it seems that of that $20k price tag, the engine is $18k. So why is it when I only want the boat, I can't pay $2k for the new boat minus the engine? I know, I know. It is not that simple, but still.
Old 04-06-11, 05:05 PM   #5
walkeraviator

In reality, a $20k boat, the engine is prolly more like 15k-16k (for instance a Stratos 186xt w/ 115 optimax)... what hp motor do you have?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 06:05 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Force 50HP
Old 04-06-11, 06:22 PM   #7
lilmule

The reason its 4 k instead of 2 is because of making a profit-called markup,same with engines but only 200-225 cost like 18 k,50 hp are still reasonable.
4k with controls is quite reasonable,but then you have to do something with the old to free trailer up,or buy a trailer
Regardless it all costs,but 4 k is quite reasonable
They bring that used with an older 50 hp on them
Most of what i look at and cannot afford is 43-64k,with 200-225.
You are also correct in that one can buy a boat and either own a used motor or buy a used motor and be ahead if its a decent motor.
A texas made flatsboat 20 ft long can be had for 14 k,same without motor ,trailer,but rigged.

Last edited by lilmule; 04-06-11 at 06:34 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 07:47 PM   #8
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i wouldnt think a force 50hp would be worth much at all really. maybe though.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 07:59 PM   #9
lilmule

They arnt a 100-125hp nationally goes forabout 1000-1200,but beats rowing
his point he owns it already and it works,so why buy another new motor
My 1977 xflow 1977 140 hp isnt worth but about the same,and am tickled to remind anyone every time i pass them,current deep 3 1/2 under 5700rpm,225.1 gear ratio -24 p raker and 59.4 mph.After i put a low water nosecone onit be doing mid 60s.Alllison 2002 of course.It is a 1990 so nothing new in my stable.
Old 04-06-11, 10:32 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

That is what I am saying lilmule. My 50HP works just fine. I just want something a little better for it to push. I see the aluminum bass boats at BPS with a 50HP and trailer going for around $17,000. A 50HP Mercury costs around $6715 (per Basspro website). There is no way that boat goes for $10,000 with trailer. I understand a markup and making a profit in business but $10k for an aluminum fishing boat with trailer and no motor is ridiculously overpriced.
Old 04-06-11, 10:43 PM   #11
lilmule

Agree they are,but their way of looking at it is you wont buy another soon so have to get your money now
In actuality about 7-10 k of each 50k boat sold is in advertising,in actuality every one they give a pro or give away at a T is part of that advertising
Is it a perfect world no,can we ourselves change it not likly,thus why old motors last and new ones go right after warranty runs out.
And why my stuff isnt by any means new.
If youve found a suitable boat, your motor will do why not( im not a force fan),but its your rig not someone elses.
People laughed at me for sticking an old xflow 140 on the worlds fastest production bass boat,im retired living on ss,couldnt afford much more.It runs about as fast stock as is as a a stratos 201 with a 200 hp costing 43 k,most importantly gets me there and back and does it cheaply comparitively as have about 8 k in all of it ,including the cost of the extra motor,motor it came with a rude 200 blew,the old xflow got me fishing again and not sorry one bit.
Bassing on a budget,in my case
As long as that thing runs its ok but once it needs much cheaper to buy another motor than repair

Last edited by lilmule; 04-06-11 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 02:45 AM   #12
nobass

i have never caught a fish that said omy you only have a 50hp force or made a comment how old my boat was. IF IT AINT BROKE DON,'T FIX IT. kept within your budget that way you can spend more on tackle. it is your money.if your happy with it thats all thats counts. if you do buy a used motor make sure you have them do a compression check with you there most people do not trade motors because there is nothing wrtong with the old one
Old 04-07-11, 06:37 AM   #13
walkeraviator

I wouldnt buy new. I would look around some. Usually, marine repair places have a few hulls without motors. The one advantage to just doin your own boat up is the satisfaction at the end of the day that you did it yourself.
Old 04-07-11, 08:46 AM   #14
Fishnngolfn

I understand what you guys are saying. What I was saying is the motor is fine. The boat itself has some issues. I saw near the motor mount, two cracks near the top two bolts. That is what I am worried about and looking into getting another boat. I want to keep my motor. I don't care if it is ONLY a 50. It goes fast enough for me and my son. I also don't care if I am "laughed" at because of my motor. I just don't want the dang thing to fall off the back into the river.
Old 04-07-11, 10:01 PM   #15
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

understand f&g. you may have to get a shorter rig for the 50. i am sure there is one out there for you though. i'll keep my eye out for you ok?
Old 04-08-11, 09:48 AM   #16
walkeraviator

You should contact a Stratos dealer, and see what they quote you for a 176xt w/ no motor. The 40hp that comes on that rig is 5500-6000. So in theory that boat would run 7000-8000 w/ no motor. Just keep in mind that you are paying for a hull that has casting deck, lockable storage, a trolling motor, fish finder, three brand new seats, a console full of instrumentation, and a new trailer that would probably sell for close to $2k if sold alone. All these little things plus labor really add up... the advantage is you could buy new and get a loan that would be really cheap per month....
Old 04-08-11, 01:46 PM   #17
Fishnngolfn

I don't do loans on "luxury" items. I pay cash for all my gifts to myself now. I am debt free except for my truck and I plan on keeping it that way.
Old 04-08-11, 10:02 PM   #18
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

that's the BEST way to go f&g. i am trying to do that myself. but somethings..............lol.
Old 04-09-11, 12:58 AM   #19
BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I don't do loans on "luxury" items. I pay cash for all my gifts to myself now. I am debt free except for my truck and I plan on keeping it that way.

How I wish more people would operate like this.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 07:37 AM   #20
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
How I wish more people would operate like this.

That would be un-american..

"Spend your way to prosperity"

I see a lot of used boats on I-Boats without motors..

Capt Mike
Old 04-09-11, 09:05 AM   #21
Fishnngolfn

I have never heard of I-boats.

Un-American. That's funny Capt.
Old 04-09-11, 05:27 PM   #22
lilmule

IBoats is a .com ,listing boats motors etc.
I sold a motor via them years ago.
Old 04-09-11, 06:58 PM   #23
Lvitch

You should probably look at a used boat in good condition. What your arguing is the factory and dealers way of making a living, no point in that. It's a similar to saying my car is rusted out but the engine with 200,000 on it still works fine. Why can't I buy a new body for my motor for 300$ from the Ford dealers? And why do they want 1500$ to put my motor in even if I could...Buy a new used boat motor and trailer for $2500 that will do everything you want n then some and be done with it. There are hundreds of boats on Craigslist or any other site. Then sell yours with the valuable good motor and deduct the profit from your expense . Some thrifty ideas aren't.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.