Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-03-14, 07:42 AM   #1
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question question for tavery5

what trailer do you use on ned rig the trd from z man or what
Old 12-03-14, 11:56 AM   #2
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
what trailer do you use on ned rig the trd from z man or what
I use a variety, some that have worked well are the Zman Zinkerz and the TRD. I have also used the Zman Hula Stickz and the Hag's Tornado.

We always cut the Zinkerz and the Hags into two pieces so that they are about 2 1/2 or 3 inches long.

The TRD has the best flotation of the Zman baits and is made from a little softer version of their plastic which makes it easier to tread onto a jig head. The other Zman baits float well but they need a little time in the water to let some of the salt to dissolve before they reach their full potential.

If you find an area like a willow or cat tails that have caterpillars on them, try the Tornado in a similar color, it has worked well for us.

A floating bait is one of the keys to this technique.

Hope it helps.
Old 12-03-14, 04:06 PM   #3
nobass

thanks for info
Old 12-03-14, 06:07 PM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
thanks for info
Your welcome, you all set with jigheads?
Old 12-04-14, 11:37 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post

A floating bait is one of the keys to this technique.
Why is that?
Why not just cut a Senko to length?
Old 12-04-14, 01:28 PM   #6
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd chime in on this one, but the title clearly states I am NOT the one questioned.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 07:16 PM   #7
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I'd chime in on this one, but the title clearly states I am NOT the one questioned.

Public forum... go for it. They'll ignore you if they don't want your contribution!

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 07:25 PM   #8
nobass

the more the merrier , i just ordered the mushroom heads from t w, when i was watching the viedos ou can just cut senko type baits, z mans just have more salt and float better
Old 12-05-14, 06:21 AM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Why is that?
Why not just cut a Senko to length?
Ken, I have used and caught fish with many Senko's that were partially destroyed. I usually fish the Ned rig with an 3/32 or a 1/8 oz jighead, half a Senko weights more than both, just about 3/16 of a ounce.

With the floating bait, you can get it to dart around when it is sinking, when it is on the bottom it stands upright like a good shakeyhead and moves with the water or you can wiggle you rod tip slightly and make it look alive, sort of like something feeding on the bottom. The heavier Senko tends to lay flat on the bottom and looks a lot less life like, it still will catch fish, I just just prefer the difference in action.

A couple of other observations, I find the floating bait gets hung in rocks less, how much less is questionable. The material that the floating bait is made from is much more durable than the Senko, especially after they have both been soaking in the water a while, which makes it easier to keep the bait up on the hook. I do glue my baits to the head, or I should say I use to glue my baits to the head, and it will help keep them on the bait, but once the salt starts to dissolve they get much softer and a lot more difficult.
This is just my experience, you may find that a Senko out performs the TRD or Zinkerz in your waters. I would love to hear your experience.

I wanted to mention jigheads, it is very hard to find a good commercial head in this light of a weight, either the hooks are weak and will bend out, or the keeper is not quite as good as it could be.
We have been playing with and pouring a number of different jigheads and have come up with a couple of very good ones if anyone is interested in seeing what we have come up with I could post some pics.

mikechell, post away the more information the better.

Last edited by Tavery5; 12-05-14 at 06:27 AM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-14, 07:39 AM   #10
mikechell

LOL Sorry. I was joking. I don't know anything about the "ned rig".
Old 12-05-14, 08:55 AM   #11
kennethdaysale

THX I'm fixin to go try em out in some 48 deg clear water where the neko has been working this week, this should be a good test.
Old 12-05-14, 11:05 AM   #12
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
I could post some pics.

Please do.

oe
Old 12-05-14, 01:31 PM   #13
Tavery5

So these are some of the jig heads that we have tried, they all work but some are much better than others.

I will try to remember how we got to where we are, from top to bottom.

The top jig is actually very good, it is a commercial jig head made by a company called Gopher, the name is mushroom head, and they have trademarked that name so no one else can use it.

Problem was they are expensive, and the hook while good was a little smaller than we preferred.

Next is a jig that we come up with that was going to replace the Gopher Musroom head, we figured we could build them much cheaper than we could buy them.

Problem was that our mold was limited to the type of hooks it could accept, so we ended up using and eagle claw 570, it is a bronze hook, but bends out easily, so we scraped that idea.

The next jig was created to improve on the hook quality of the previous, and it did, the problem became that while cheaper than the commercial version, it was still more expensive than we would have liked and the hook was still a little smaller than preferred.

The ball head jig was an idea that came about when a friend showed us a commercial head that used a much bigger hook and came in weights that were close to what we wanted but just a little to heavy. We came up with this, the hook was great, especially in the TRD and Hula Stickz as they are a little longer than a Zinkerz cut in half. We also had hoped to use this hook with the Keitech impact swim bait. The problem was two fold, the bait keep while not good enough in our opinion at holding the Zinkerz to the head, was also too large and would spit the head on a Keitech either when putting the bait on the hook or if a fish pulled the bait down the hook. The Keitech bait are expensive so I moved on, the guy who fished with me was satisfied here.

The head with the Springlock is one of my favorites, the TRD threads on to this very easily, the Zinkerz will give you a little fuss. The Keitech works well on the head also and is not too difficult to rig. The hook was longer and strong enough to satisfy me. This will keep your bait in place.
Problem, it was harder for some to rig the bait that what they would have liked, I myself find the small amount of extra time it takes to be worth the bait holding quality.

The last jig was an attempt to come up with a hook, head and keeper than met our requirements, and it does for me, my friend wants a little bigger hook, but the bait keeper works very well and is similar to the new heads built especially for the Ned rig. The hook in this jig is a little stronger than the commercial version and the keeper holds the bait a little tighter to the head in my opinion. Problem again is cost, the SS keeper for these is acutally somewhat expensive, I can make 25 of these baits for about 10 dollars in materials. So they are less expensive than the commercial baits that work well.

I don't know if I will try to come up with anything else, by using a combination of these heads I can get very close to what I want.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 12-05-14, 03:54 PM   #14
mikechell

As I look at these jig heads, I can't help but wonder:
What makes this different from a Florida rig? I've used very light Florida rigs (Basically, just a Texas rigged worm with the bullet weight pegged to the line) with the weight pegged right at the hook eye. With a floating, soft plastic piece on the weedless worm hook, I think the effect would be the same.
Old 12-05-14, 03:59 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
THX I'm fixin to go try em out in some 48 deg clear water where the neko has been working this week, this should be a good test.
Good luck, we have had days of 100+ fish and others that were a lot tougher. Make sure to try PB&J.
Old 12-07-14, 09:53 PM   #16
Tavery5

Good video of Ned, talking about different ways to use the his rig. He goes into a lot of detail on weights, and different ways to fish it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqGTzPt6TIQ
Old 12-13-14, 09:55 AM   #17
OkobojiEagle

I use jigheads with 60 degree eye placement. Gopher Big John and Brewer Spider. They seem to lift out of rock crevices easier. The Gopher heads I file the lead collar to as near the hook shank diameter as I can without detaching the barb from the head (winter project). Filing the collar aids in keeping the bait tight to the head.

Opinions welcome...

oe
Old 01-05-15, 01:11 PM   #18
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Tavery, are you going to be fishing the Kansas Team Trail?
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 02:05 AM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverez View Post
Tavery, are you going to be fishing the Kansas Team Trail?
I don't think so, considering the Central Div. of the A.B.A., they fish El Dorado, Melvern, Milford, once at Eureka, and I am sure I am forgetting somewhere else.

There is also another A.B.A. Div that fishes at Bone Creek and Big Hill, maybe somewhere else not sure. Once you register for one Div. in A.B.A. you can fish any Div. and your points still count.

What about yourself?
Old 01-06-15, 12:16 PM   #20
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I don't think so, considering the Central Div. of the A.B.A., they fish El Dorado, Melvern, Milford, once at Eureka, and I am sure I am forgetting somewhere else.

There is also another A.B.A. Div that fishes at Bone Creek and Big Hill, maybe somewhere else not sure. Once you register for one Div. in A.B.A. you can fish any Div. and your points still count.

What about yourself?
I hope to fish it -- depends on my fishing partner. I didn't know about the ABA fishing El Dorado -- I caught an absolute PIG of a spotted bass at El Dorado last month. It had to have been pushing 4# at least.
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 08:31 PM   #21
Tavery5

That's a nice fish. El Dorado and me typically don't get along very well, I tend to catch white bass and hybrids there and that's about it.
Old 01-11-15, 10:04 AM   #22
lilmule

Yes in ABA AFT one can fish any division any where points are totaled from all,only pt leader in that division however is taken from just within that divison
ABA nationals will be at Anderson SC Hartwell.A fishoff occurs and top pt leader from each district compete separately for a boat,then winner gets a boat,and now top non boater gets a boat.
I took over Dennis Hollis district I am the new director for district 40 or Tn West
Ky lake Newjohnsonville to Pickwick,JP Coleman Luka Miss.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.