Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-23-12, 04:46 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Angry TM just quit

Will charging while trolling motor plugged up ruin the TM? Everything else checks ok.
Old 09-23-12, 05:23 PM   #2
bassboogieman

I haven't heard that is an issue, leaving it plugged in up front, mine is a lot of the time. 24v? No power at all and everything else ok, that is a toughie. I'm guessing you checked voltage at the plug, so that would definitely point to the troller. Pulled the head off the troller and checked voltage in the head - if you got it there then it's definitely down in the motor.

I hate to ask, but this screwed me up bad once - and I HATE to admit it, because it embarrassed the heck outta me - have you checked the switch on the side of the foot pedal? Mine didn't run once early in the morning so I went home and spent almost an hour checking voltages, then I checked that switch and it was in the "OFF" position. Sometimes I get bit by overthinking the problem that I overlook the obvious.

There is also a circuit board in the pedal - it that gets submerged or really wet it can fry itself. I have a recessed pedal and the drain plug clogged - yep, rain put a couple inches of water in the tray and the circuit board drowned.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure you've been through all those problems, may just be time to have a PROFESSIONAL accessment - yo Bryce!!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 05:33 PM   #3
nobass

also have you checked you in line fuses or just a plane loose battery terminal i charge mine all the time with motor plug in never seem to cause any trouble
Old 09-23-12, 05:56 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

corrosion? broken wire? bad switch? burnt motor? fuses? battery?
Old 09-23-12, 08:53 PM   #5
bcklash

Thanks guys. Hard wired straight to a battery, zilch, nothing, just not working. blowed up,trashed. Time for a new one.
Old 09-23-12, 10:07 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

somehow i think the BOAT monkey is involved in this ron. you haven't PAID him much attention lately have oyu? lol!

at least you know the problem, sorry for real man. D O A T...DISH OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND. tell us what you get and how oyu like it ok?
Old 09-24-12, 06:48 AM   #7
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Had a tech tell me one time to always either UNPLUG the TM while charging, or at the very least turn the speed control to ZERO. I always do one or the other and haven't had a problem.
Old 09-24-12, 08:20 AM   #8
lilmule

Im using same one I had 9 years ago,leave it on any setting as have foot pedal on off sw its a hand unit.As long as circuit broken somewhere cannot pull trouble its way.
Switches however like 12/v 23/v and charge if in wrong place fry the wiring at the least.
Best to just rewire and eliminate if there.
Best of luck on that troller
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 02:36 PM   #9
3dkicker

I had that happen during a tournament.....doing well too. Went back to ramp and took foot pedal apart to check all connections. Fished last couple hours without it in the wind and rain. Miserable. Still caught fish but should have won. Found out that the fuse at the battery tripped. Simple as pressing the little black switch to reset it.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.