Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-09, 12:12 AM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default This is scarey

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...fire-yesterday
Old 06-08-09, 01:00 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Of course we may never know what caused that, but I would put my money on gas vapors igniting in the bilge. Always ventilate your bilge before starting if you haven't used the boat for a while, i.e, overnight, winter, etc.
Old 06-08-09, 07:22 AM   #3
Bassboss

Wow! That really sucks for that guy! I wonder what caused it? I guess they coulda been smoking!? Hope the boat insurance!
Old 06-08-09, 09:18 AM   #4
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Wow! That really sucks for that guy! I wonder what caused it? I guess they coulda been smoking!? Hope the boat insurance!
Just wondering, how would smoking cause that? Do you think they opened up the back end and dropped a lit match near he fuel cell??? We all know (well some of us) that smoking near fuel, standing in fuel, putting your face next to gas with a smoke in your mouth, will not cause a fire. Myth Busters has proven this. I've proven it (yes had a few beers in me). Now a flame near gas/fumes will start a fire.

As you read the article some are speculating that it was electrical. I will believe that.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 10:11 AM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Just wondering, how would smoking cause that? Do you think they opened up the back end and dropped a lit match near he fuel cell??? We all know (well some of us) that smoking near fuel, standing in fuel, putting your face next to gas with a smoke in your mouth, will not cause a fire. Myth Busters has proven this. I've proven it (yes had a few beers in me). Now a flame near gas/fumes will start a fire.

As you read the article some are speculating that it was electrical. I will believe that.
I dunno, they coulda dropped a butt on the boat carpet, and it lit! Just an idea though, I'm probably wrong though!
Old 06-08-09, 10:51 AM   #6
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I dont think I'll be buying one of those boats any time soon
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 11:31 AM   #7
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

Wow. Those were kids? They were lucky. Good thing nobody got hurt. Did you see all those burnt up rods?
Old 06-08-09, 12:43 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Could of got an arch when starting the motor and had fumes in the transom or a mob hit. Either way it sucks, that was a nice boat and all the tackle was ruined.
Old 06-08-09, 12:47 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
I've proven it (yes had a few beers in me).
You're lucky you don't have a few I.V.'s in you. Typing is hard with burned nub fingers.

Quote:
Now a flame near gas/fumes will start a fire.
And so will a spark, which can originate from almost anything...it doesn't even have to be the electrical system, but often is.

Okay, I'm done being a wet blanket for the day!

I just don't want any of the younger people who visit this site to think playing with dangerous stuff is funny or cool.
Old 06-08-09, 01:35 PM   #10
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't get it, there just should not be fire in some of the places that there are!!! Almost looks like an intentional set fire!!!!

Not blaiming anyone, just does not look right to me!!!!
Old 06-08-09, 01:48 PM   #11
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
And so will a spark, which can originate from almost anything...it doesn't even have to be the electrical system, but often is.

I just don't want any of the younger people who visit this site to think playing with dangerous stuff is funny or cool.
You are correct, playing with gas is not fun or cool. I guess what I was trying to say is that a cigarette will not light gas on fire. It will not hold a temperature hot enough, for the fumes to catch on fire. Again, it's not the liquid that catches fire, it is the fumes. And yes a spark will catch the fumes on fire.

As for that fire, even if a cigarette was placed on the carpet I'm sure the guys would have been able to step on it, or put water on is to put the fire out. They jumped out of the boat, that tells me the fire went up quick and they didn't have time to put the fire out.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 10:57 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

is that what you call going down in a blaze of glory?

seriously that is a sad situation and they are lucky that it happened when it did and not while screaming down the lake when they wouldn't of had as much time to react and get out of the boat.
Old 06-09-09, 08:49 AM   #13
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

That fire seems to have started in the console area from what I can see.If it had been the fuel tank or fuel line/system I think there would have been more damage to the back of the boat.Unless the tank was under the seat.It still looks like the console area burned the most.Maybe electrical.
I dunno,just a guess.
Old 06-09-09, 10:26 AM   #14
Bender

That looks really bad! I didn't read the thread but just as a reminder if you EVER install anything electrical in your boat FUSE it! Put a fuse as close as possible to the power source, whether battery or power distribution block. I knew a guy who lost a fiberglass Jeep to this and I burned up all the carpet in my first Jeep because I didn't fuse an amp back when I was young.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 03:52 PM   #15
CMorg

I'll bet swimbait kid mouthed off something to someone , and they threw a molitove cocktail at em.... Kidding , Kidding sorry swimbait , I had to do it , everyone else jumps on ya !
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.