Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-28-08, 08:24 PM   #26
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My boat goes 28 mph- per GPS that is. Yes the satellites move that slow. I would like the speed, be nice on some of the bigger lakes we got down here. But for now, Ill play catch up. Plus I always end up seeing a little area or two that might be good for fishin. My plans are to upgrade here soon, but Ill probably keep my little boat. Honestly the newer ones Im looking at, Im looking for a 115-135hp, maybe 150hp depending on price. Im more worried about MPG than MPH.
Old 01-29-08, 10:40 PM   #27
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My Allison get great fuel economy the hull is built for speed and economy.And yep I would like to introduce myself : My name it boater and I AM a speed freak
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 09:39 PM   #28
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
That is the biggest crock of sh!t, I have ever heard. You mean to tell me , that on those Southern lakes, you all have to run to the same damned spot to fish ? There ain't no fish any where else, but one spot on the entire lake ? It ain't got nothing to do with being there first in order to catch the biggest fish. It's all about the grand illusions thought up to justify buying a fast watersled. It's about being a speed freak, catching fish takes a back seat to being a speed freak.Lmao....P N J
Um pnj in Indiana our largest lake is 10,000 acrs and our avg lake is 1,000 acrs a lot smaller than sothern lakes sorry but most time here you do fish in an crowd.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 09:48 AM   #29
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have to agree with pig n jig. and i own a stratos. with a 200 johnson. i can go 70 mph. but i don't. i burn up my trolling batteries first. then run back and hook up the chargers. i don't care who gets there first, cause i am going to be there fishing. the fast guys run in there, throw a couple of casts and then rush back out. i would rather fish it throughly..take my time, use everything i have. then i troll on to another place. besides.. i can't afford to put in 100 bucks every day in gas. and another thing, if i could afford the boat i want, it would be a ranger. a 22 footer. had one in the 80's, it was a 18 and half ft, 150 black max merc. and i loved it. i will trade the old stratos for another ranger in a year or so.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 09:52 AM   #30
bamabassman

also guys, i have a neighbor who has a bullet. 19 ftr i think with a 150 bored out to a 200. he has never used it since i have been here. he uses his alum flat bottom. says he wants to sell it. i beleive for 8,000.00. it is very clean and runs great he says. stays in the garage. now you talk about fast boats. the bullet is fast. if anyone is interested let me know and i will get more info for ya.
Old 02-04-08, 09:34 AM   #31
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_3000 View Post
Um speed is important last one to the spot gets the dinks

Non sense... The most adaptible fisherman gets the fish.

The halcion days of the line up and a starting gun are gone. It is the person who can run the farthest to never fished before spots and on a drop of fuel that has the advantage now. Turtle meet hare..

Since all tourny's are staged one boat at a time why would breaking the sound barrier be so important? It is a macho thing aint it?

Ya made you think didn't I?

Capt Mike
Old 02-04-08, 05:15 PM   #32
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

Stratos isnt even a real bass boat. Have ever seen them sponsor any big tournaments. where im from we fill them with water and sink them for bass stucture. There is no way ill ever own a deisel mercury they chug and have more problems just like a triton hull cracking.
renagadebee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 05:17 PM   #33
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i have to agree with pig n jig. and i own a stratos. with a 200 johnson. i can go 70 mph. but i don't. i burn up my trolling batteries first. then run back and hook up the chargers. i don't care who gets there first, cause i am going to be there fishing. the fast guys run in there, throw a couple of casts and then rush back out. i would rather fish it throughly..take my time, use everything i have. then i troll on to another place. besides.. i can't afford to put in 100 bucks every day in gas. and another thing, if i could afford the boat i want, it would be a ranger. a 22 footer. had one in the 80's, it was a 18 and half ft, 150 black max merc. and i loved it. i will trade the old stratos for another ranger in a year or so.
Yeah thats what my grandpa says, dont worry hes stuck in the past too!!!!
Old 02-06-08, 12:25 AM   #34
bamabassman

renegadebee, listen to your grandpa, young grasshopper. you will learn more if you look at the past instead of making a past. and i didn't say that i ws in love with my stratos. i like it, just ain't a ranger. it is all i can afford. and it IS paid for. also have a 20 ft pontoon..PAID for. i can't go out and spend 40 grand on something i am only gonna use for a few months. i have more important things to worry about, like finding a kidney for the wife. yes my wife is on the kidney donor list at U A B in birmingham, al. her name is lisa seaver. but not to worry guys we have family being tested as we speak. she ain't on the machine yet. but we keep a real close eye on it. and not to sound stupid or nothing , i ain't asking for a bunch of boohoos either. we were talking about speed verses useability. and i use the trolling motor more than the outboard. in fact.. i am looking for a 175 to trade for the 200. i don't need speed, i need milage. so as i was saying grasshopper, use the past and LEARN FROM IT. i did, and it still works for me. go fish and have fun.that is what fishing is supposed to be FUN.
Old 02-06-08, 01:31 AM   #35
carolina-rig-01

when i fish tournaments this is what works best for me. i will have my spots to hit throughout the day. generally no more than 3 as i want to force myself to slow down and be thorough in each spot. at take off i will kick the 200 merc in the butt and run like a mad man to my first spot. as i move from spot to spot i run balls out, but i do fish each spot very hard. i will have my spots planned out in order so i hit them at the most productive times (as best i can). but i do feel that running hard will allow me to make several more cast over the course of the day. these extra cast may not produce one bite, on the other hand they also may give me the fish i really needed. i just figure that the harder i can run (while being safe) the better i can afford to slow down and pick apart my spot. probably doesn't work for everyone but that is how i feel confident in fishing, and it has nothing to do with being a speed freak. to be honest there are a lot of situations where going fast on the water will scare the hell out of me, like rough water. you just have to be willing to take it down a notch at times.
Old 02-06-08, 06:55 AM   #36
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
when i fish tournaments this is what works best for me. i will have my spots to hit throughout the day. generally no more than 3 as i want to force myself to slow down and be thorough in each spot. at take off i will kick the 200 merc in the butt and run like a mad man to my first spot. as i move from spot to spot i run balls out, but i do fish each spot very hard. i will have my spots planned out in order so i hit them at the most productive times (as best i can). but i do feel that running hard will allow me to make several more cast over the course of the day. these extra cast may not produce one bite, on the other hand they also may give me the fish i really needed. i just figure that the harder i can run (while being safe) the better i can afford to slow down and pick apart my spot. probably doesn't work for everyone but that is how i feel confident in fishing, and it has nothing to do with being a speed freak. to be honest there are a lot of situations where going fast on the water will scare the hell out of me, like rough water. you just have to be willing to take it down a notch at times.
You have naiked it on the head, Even though I dont thik I have to explain myself but yes I an a speed freak. There is not a vehicle sitting in my yard that doesnt perform at its OPTIMUM level and for good reason. First a vehicle that is setup to run efficently is a pleasure to drive and gets MUCH better fuel mileage. Second when I am on the water I love to try and set it on fire. I use to do it on the strip and street when I was younger now I just do it on the water when conditions permit. I didnt get to 48yrs old by pulling stupid stunts. There is a time and a place for being fast on the water. Please be sure that you know the difference. And thats all this speed freak has.
Old 02-06-08, 12:37 PM   #37
zooker

ask a knowlageable angler where on any body of water that there is 10-15 spots were you can pull up and knock out 5 fish in mintues.. most of the time there is less than 10 spots.
these "known" spots are often never discussed amongest fellow anglers.. but if you happen to be seen on a "known" spot and win a tourny. except that spot to have at least three boats sitting on it before you get there the next tourny..

the days of the shot gun start are still around. i have personally seen them...

when money is on the line poeple go from friendly to plum mean..

i also use c-rigs style. i figure 2-4 spots to hit and rotate thru them all day..the bite can and does turn on differant fish at differant times.

i own a stratos for a reason. stratos are known for being good quality boats with VERY few struture flaws.-see tritons and nitro's among others-and one of the fastest genmar boats..i loath a skeeter set up and totally dislike the way procraft set up there fuel sytems.rangers are heavy azz boats that are for there size very slow.

i have personally driven bullets and ally's wickedly fast quality set up but would i own one? no! i would actually own a gambler afore either of them-gambler customer service is THE WORST of any boat builder in the US- seein it is MY money i am spending i'll buy another stratos...

zooker
Old 02-06-08, 06:37 PM   #38
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

I am a speed freak and love to go fast, ive out fished my grandpa for 3 years now and have beatin him many times. The faster the better and i live right on lake michigan and know what its like to ride in big waves. I dont understand how you can hate a skeeter other than maybe jelousy. I can understand how you dont like ranger, nitro, and tritons to me are the cheapest made boat
Old 02-06-08, 07:18 PM   #39
zooker

my dislike for skeeter is well known. i have been in many and hate the seating/floor plan set up..that and why are they the only company to under power a "performance" boat?? that just spells transome weakness in the design..

zooker
Old 02-06-08, 08:04 PM   #40
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
my dislike for skeeter is well known. i have been in many and hate the seating/floor plan set up..that and why are they the only company to under power a "performance" boat?? that just spells transome weakness in the design..

zooker
Zook

Been doing some research lately since the discussion on the other site arose. Come to find out them ole skeeters aint what they use to be.
Old 02-06-08, 09:23 PM   #41
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats what im talking about thanks fast laser... First bass boat ever made, so they know what their doing
Old 02-08-08, 06:05 AM   #42
1FASTLASER

Well I hate to really bash anyones boat so please dont anyone take offense to this. The skeeter built a 21 ftr and it has had SEVERAL problems and the bad thing is that skeeter isnt standing behind there product nor do they even act like they really care. Now this is not just speculation but I have actually read the correspondance that was sent to the consumer.
Old 02-08-08, 11:32 AM   #43
nitroteam
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation

weidner21

check out the classified section i have a NITRO for sale
I have ordered my new Z9 and need to sell the 901

19.2feet 200 optimax sips gas
4 years left on the merc.
43.7 hours

I agree any used boat you buy get it checked if is fine then the dealer or seller wont have a problem getting it done for you. had a skeeter years ago and the older ones do ride rough but so do the older nitros, rangers ,and the other brands it is just progerss made in hull design that has worked that out.

check out any used boat very carefully

This boat can be see in Clarksville indiana at the bass pro shops
email me and i will send picts and info.

Todd
nitroteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 06:21 PM   #44
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats a little extreme dont you think. Do you know what the situation was, did he abuse his boat. there is always two sides of every story. There are no better boats the the new skeeter i-class.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.