Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-01-12, 03:35 PM   #1
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

Default recessed trolling motor foot

Guys, I want to install a recessed foot control on my boat, before I do to much research on the measurements for fabricating one myself cheaper, I was wondering if any of yall have already done this and may have the measurements already wrote down. I have a minn-kota edge trolling motor so the one that is attached to that is the foot control I have
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 04:34 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Commercially produced trays vary a bit on shape in addition to size and material. The one I installed is fiberglass and colored to match my boat's gelcoat. I would not have attempted to make one as I didn't want a metal one, have no experience in fabricating fiberglass and didn't want to invest the time and effort nor had any delusions that I could produce something of similiar quality.

I could not begin to provide understandalbe dimensions as the tray I have has a sloped front panel and the tray is deeper at the rear than in the front for drainage and that makes the sides of varriable height from front to rear and length from bottom to top.

If you do make one - be absolutely certain to make sure it drains well. There is a circuit board in the foot pedal - if water collects in the tray from rain or water comming over the bow and that board gets submerged it will usually be toast by the next time you want to use it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:35 PM   #3
lilmule

Hes right not easy to make ,if you did would look not near as good as a commercial one,the biggest problem most have is in actually cutting a hole.
Their is another solution buy a hand control unit,never have to cock that foot again,with an ext handle and simple foot on of switch its easy to operate.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 09:45 PM   #4
champman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just installed one in my '89 ChampoiN, piece of cake. Take your time, measure three times, cut once. You won't be sorry. It takes a bit of getting used to after doing the "Captain Morgan" all these years, but no more back pains after being on the water all day.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 04:04 PM   #5
A-style
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been looking at those for awhile too. Anyone have any suggestions as to manufacturers? Running a motorguide.
A-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 04:40 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I chose a Troll Well tray when I finally decided to do the install. They ARE NOT the cheapest, I'll say that right up front, but it depends on what you want. Troll Well trays are fiberglass and can be matched to your boat's gelcoat. You can get metal trays if you want to save a little money. Install is easy, no matter what brand you settle on.

Hardest part is cutting the hole.

I had one of the very early models - drain hole was in the front _WRONG spot. Water collected in the rear of the tray when boat was on trailer and on the jack stand. It has since been relocated to the rear of the pan (I relocated mine myself).

Fits virtually any trolling motor pedestal, mine happens to be a Minn Kota.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:25 PM   #7
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the help! mine should be here soon!
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 06:35 PM   #8
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm a rookie...but I hadn't ever heard of one of these installed after the fact...pretty dang cool. Thanks for sharing the photos bassboogieman.
Old 04-16-12, 06:49 PM   #9
lilmule

Can be done to most boats hardest part is cutting the hole,after measuring half a doz times.
My cure was simpler install a hand control with ext handle and foot on off switch that way standing on both feet using hands as normal as stays in place merely bump the ext handle with anything or bump switch for on off motion,until you have used a troller in 3 ft waves you would not know the hand control takes less effort.It is hard to balance on one foot thus having it flat helps,if stuck on foot control trolling units then the hole helps.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.