Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 05-14-13, 10:58 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What if.....

I remember when I was growing up playing sports there were a lot of kids whose parents would just drop their kids off at practice or a game and just leave. Even as a kid I remember thinking that didn't seem right, and I was always thankful that my parents weren't using sports as a babysitting service but actually stayed and watched. Tonight at Lake's swim lesson we had a situation that could have ended tragically if we were the kind of parents to just drop him off and pick him up when his class was over. The kid (the instructors are college aged kids) that was teaching his class since he started hasn't been there for a few weeks and so another girl that teaches classes is stuck trying to keep control of him and another 3 year old. At the end of the class apparently his teacher told him to come to the window and get our attention. We were watching the whole class but had no idea that him tapping on the window meant we needed to go into the pool area and get Lake (since an overwhelming number of drownings that involve kids are kids that are unattended, they want the parents to watch the lessons from a separate area so the kids learn to handle themselves in the water without mom and dad there). The teacher was busy working with a little girl and after tapping on the window Lake went back to the steps of the pool and started into the water.......without his teacher knowing. I got up and busted through the door just as he left the bottom step and was hanging onto the wall. I yelled at the teacher and asked if she meant for my 3 year old son to be in the pool without her watching him. All of her apologies would have meant nothing to me if things would have went any further. I'm not pointing the blame at anyone. She shouldn't have to divide her time and attention between two 3 year olds, She shouldn't have let Lake walk around the pool without her watching him, and Lake knows that he is to mind and he got a reminder tonight that he better never get in the water without us knowing. Bottom line, a lot of things were at play here and contributed to what could have easily been a tragic situation. So thankful that we don't just drop him off and expect others to take care of our son.
Old 05-15-13, 06:55 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's a good thing you and Britney are the kind of parents who pay attention and stay involved. I shudder to think what could have happened if you had gone to McDonalds instead. And tragedy can happen in the blink of an eye.
Old 05-15-13, 07:47 PM   #3
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Brings chills to me. So thankful it didn't end in tragedy!!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 09:25 AM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I was one of those parents who never left my kids at sporting events. As a matter of fact I usually helped coach (read that as babysat). Unfortunately, far too many parents are not supportive of their kid's activities by being present at games much less practices.

While coaching soccer and handling 13 or 14 boys around 13 alone one night I had a boy break his arm. I had to call my wife to get her to contact the parents and get my daughter to come run practice with the rest of them while I waited on the parents to return. It was a freak accident but too much activity for one adult to supervise at once.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.