Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-04-06, 01:35 PM   #1
DBake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Your Summer and winter time jigs...

What is the weight difference between your summer time and winter time jigs? Same brand, different weight? Use the same jigs just use different trailers to change the fall rate?
DBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 02:30 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use the same weight jigs most of the time. I mostly use 1/8 - 1/4 with 3/16 being my favorite. I rarely use big heavy jigs. I catch more fish on the fall than hoping it on the bottom. If I'm fishing a river with current I'll use a heavier jig though. As far as the trailer... I use a Zoom Super Chunk Jr. mostly. I will also use a Zoom Craw Worm too.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:56 PM   #3
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I think BassAdict's been going through my tacklebox!

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 05:36 PM   #4
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the same jigs and same weight all 4 season. Ill just change colors. Thats all. I throw same jigs(weapon) in the 3/8 and 1/2oz size. I will down scale my jigs for different fish...i.e smallies(1/4oz). I will throw white jigs with white trailer for bedding bass and when I want to swim a jig. To me a jig is a jig is a jig. No matter what season. Keep it simple....hope that helps!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 06:29 PM   #5
bassguy2004

I believe in the keep it simple method of jig fishing also. 1/2 oz. jigs for all times of the year and change color with the seasons. Heavy vegetation I'll use a 3/4 oz. jig. Only change is for smallies, where I might throw a 1/4 to 3/8's hair jig with a piece of real pork. Real easy huh Deacon.
Old 04-04-06, 06:34 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Do you guys have more confidence with a jig n trailer or a tube bait?
I was raised on jigs, just getting more and more used to throwing a tube.
They both offer dif. movements in the water.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 06:44 PM   #7
bassguy2004

JB I use them both but in different ways. The jig, the obvious way, hop, hop, dead stick etc., but the tube I use on dart heads and I also use it on a split shot, and a carolina rig.
Old 04-04-06, 06:49 PM   #8
JB

i've noticed the tubes downward spiral of sorts inbetween hops. For heavy cover I'll stick with the jig, probably fish tubes in open waters.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 07:03 PM   #9
bassguy2004

No, don't limit the tubes efficiency. Fish them in rocks, or where ever. The tube is supposed to mimic a crawfish to some degree. You can rig them weedless too.
Old 04-04-06, 07:23 PM   #10
Curado

I usually use the same size of jig all year. My favorite size is a 3/8 oz. I like to take my used baby brush hogs and cut them in half and put them on the jig. I sometimes put a used senko cut in half on the back as well. And I also use the standard chunk too.
Old 04-04-06, 07:29 PM   #11
Deacon

I have alot more confidence in the JnP than a tube. I only recently started throwing a tube for the smallies. I drag a jig on the bottom more than hopping it. I drag a ft or so and shake. I do hop it but im trying to get outa the habit. Craws do hop. They with swim when threated but for the most part they just meander on the bottom.

As for trailers i use only 2 kinds. The Paca Craw and a Sweet Beaver. Remember with jigs you want to Match the Hatch as best as you can.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 10:23 PM   #12
DBake
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguy2004
I believe in the keep it simple method of jig fishing also. 1/2 oz. jigs for all times of the year and change color with the seasons. Heavy vegetation I'll use a 3/4 oz. jig. Only change is for smallies, where I might throw a 1/4 to 3/8's hair jig with a piece of real pork. Real easy huh Deacon.
What do you mean you change color with the seasons? I thought color depended on water clarity.
DBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 12:29 AM   #13
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon
I use the same jigs and same weight all 4 season. Ill just change colors. Thats all. I throw same jigs(weapon) in the 3/8 and 1/2oz size. I will down scale my jigs for different fish...i.e smallies(1/4oz). I will throw white jigs with white trailer for bedding bass and when I want to swim a jig. To me a jig is a jig is a jig. No matter what season. Keep it simple....hope that helps!
Ditto-a jig is a jig.
Old 04-05-06, 01:07 AM   #14
bassguy2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBake
What do you mean you change color with the seasons? I thought color depended on water clarity.
Since the jig mimics a crawfish, I use a different color jig during different seasons. In the spring the brand new crayfish or the very young ones are usually green, so I'll use a green pumpkin, summer time an orange and brown etc. As the seasons change so do the crawfish even to a dark red. I hope I explained it well enough
Old 04-05-06, 07:45 AM   #15
BassAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef
I think BassAdict's been going through my tacklebox!
LOL, LOL, LOL
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 12:38 PM   #16
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

This weekend I went fishing(4 times) in New York and did great with hair jig(5 bass). I tie hair jigs and also use a companies that work great for panfish and bass. The fish are still pretty inactive in New York. I have fishing it with a bobber and others casting out just a hair jig. I used brown and black hair jigs. During the summer I used bass stalker jigs with decent success. I also used some booyah jigs with zoom trailers.
Old 04-06-06, 12:46 AM   #17
ChuckE
BassFishin.Com Member

I tend to use 1/8 oz to 3/8 oz jigs for most of my flipping/pitching. I select the weight based on the cover, depth I'm fishing and the aggressiveness of the fish. Most of the cover around here is light to moderate in shallow water. In the spring, I tend to go very light with a smaller sized trailer. In the summer and fall, I tend to go heavier with a larger trailer.

Chuck
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 08:39 PM   #18
lizardsrule

As long as it's Greenpumpkin I'll throw it LOL. I do like the Mann's Stone jig, and of course my new favorite for heavy vegetation is the Grassmaster. I am with ChuckE, and pick the weight based on cover. But again if it's greenpumpkin I'll throw it anytime, anywhere.

Lizards
Old 04-07-06, 05:41 AM   #19
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I personally use a jig that closely mimics the size of bait at the water I am fishing, and then from that point I determine what rate of fall they want. If they want a quick fall I up the size of the trailer to slow it down or speed it up depending on conditions. Generally I fish 1/4 oz in the winter and 1/2oz in the warmer temps but thats not written in stone there are times they want it differant.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.