Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-07-06, 05:15 PM   #26
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

learnin
reb is one of the most knowlagable fishermen i know he anit going to steer you wrong..

welcome to the site...it is a smogust board of bass fishing info just becareful which yankee you deal with. they are NOT all sane...

zooker
Old 04-07-06, 09:22 PM   #27
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnin2FWFish
Had some luck today off a fluke (not a mistake... the bait type) got a couple of nice hits, only to realize I had the hook on the opposite side, (preventing it from exposing on a bite) so I couldnt set, but hey bites are bites right!
First off I usually rig my Flukes upside down from most folks, just because it's less plastic to get through. Once the flukes get worn out that way, I just reverse them to what most folks consider normal. Secondly if you are using a super fluke or a fluke of greater than 5.5" I would reccomend a 5/0 hook, specifically the "Texposer" 5/0 hook, is really the only hook I use for regular or larger flukes. Secondly the braid will help getting a good hookset on flukes, they are notorious for being tough to get good hooksets with, a good yank, a stiff rod, and braid is always the way I fish them, no if's and's or but's about it. This is my preference, but I probably fish Flukes more than most folks you see. Nothing better than a fleeing or dying baitfish IMO.

Quote:
I picked up some green pumpkin worms, some green pumpkin tiki sticks, some lizards, (heard fish were bedding and lizards were the natural predator) the guy at the tackle shop recommended some hard nose frogs (He fishes the same lake alot) and some carolina rig set ups so I can rig it fairly easily.
There is a lot of debate as to whether or not Lizards/Salamanders/Waterdogs are any threat at all to the bass eggs. Whether they are or not, I know that bass really hate, or love them(you pick), but they do catch Bass regularly. Glad you got some bites, if you aren't good at hard hooksets, perhaps you should try some circle hooks, they are better for more of a rod sweeping action, than a hard solid hookset, but on Flukes they won't work very well.

Lizards
Old 04-08-06, 12:14 PM   #28
Learnin2FWFish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Day 4 - The Bass are Whacked.

Well today I went out, it was a baddd day for fishing but im partly polish so im partly stubborn. Welp thanks to most of the advice of most of the folks here I caught a slightly under reg (18in) bass on a Rat-l-Trap, and a slightly over reg one on a fluke in the sticks.

So, big improvement, later today i'm hitting up the locale little lake, or more like a decent size pond to practice my presentation, and flipping pitching (more reading)

I have another question.. What determines your lure/artificial choice? Is it conditional, seasonal, luck? Or do you just look at the spot your fishing and say, "Ok grass just under the surface... 82 degrees.. winds out of the north northeast... Bass will want a tiki stick on a wacky rig..." I just had 3 poles, 1 carolina rig with a worm, one with a fluke, one with a rat-l-trap and I switched the fluke for a t-rig worm or the frog, and every 10 or so casts id alternate a bit.

I will get some pics of what im fihsing in and you can give me some more pointers thanks all , b-fast is ready
Learnin2FWFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.