Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-10-06, 07:59 AM   #1
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Interesting Thought.....

Interesting thought on nybass.com entitled "Slow Poke Fishing"......

I realize it's a very debatable topic as most of the fellows down at the baitshop who fish tourneys are run and gun, tried and true...... And for sure, they aren't going to change because of a post..... But something I've adhered to for years after discovering a slow-fall/deadsticking approach to recreational fishing. Good fishing, Mac
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 08:28 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Esp. applicable to senko or tiki stick fishing, the ol' dead stick works wonders some days!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 09:02 AM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Of my three partners, only one fully understands and applies the brakes. What a joy to be able to more thoroughly comb the cover, wind permitting. Of the remaining two, both great and good guys to the core, one is a speed demon and the other is catching on.
When one is the "co-angler", there isn't much he can do.
Happily, it is the partner who posts here that "gets it".

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 09:06 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This is where the patience comes in, as it is very hard to sit still for long periods of time, and work the bait as slowly as is necessary to produce the strikes. Dead-Sticking really works if you remember exactly what it means. I like to use a high modulus graphite rod for the Dead-Sticking techniques, in a 6 1/2 to 7 foot length, with twelve to fourteen pound test line. I use spinning gear on little finesse baits, or a light line baitcaster. I use a baitcast rod, and up to fourteen to seventeen pound test line, in the deeper water, and for larger baits. Try these techniques this year, and your recreational and tournament fishing will improve greatly
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 10:07 AM   #5
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Most often, I use a slower falling lure than the Senko or Tiki by simply cutting off the tail of a watermelon/red zoom speedworm. I cut a half inch up from the actual tail and rig texposed weightless on a 2/0 worm hook. Not having internal salt makes the lure fall more slowly. Casts like a bullet, skips well and wacky rigs well also. Good fishing, Mac
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 07:03 PM   #6
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i'll put you to sleep i move so dang slow...if i see something that i think should be holding fish,i'll beat it to death..pitched to a blowdown at least 24 times one day,finally pulled about a 4 lber off it.
that's one reason i had a great time fishing with lizards,he's slow like me.lol
plenty of other reasons but that's one of them.i can't stand buzzing along passing up a lot of good cover and structure.and i usually use the lightest weight i can get away with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.