Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-26-05, 12:42 AM   #1
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What to wear in the cold?

What do you all wear to fish in the cold. Today I wore three sweaters, A jacket, I stocking hat, gloves, Sweat pants with windbreaker over them. Kept me warm but I need something for my face to wear in the cold. Guys got any suggestions.
Old 11-26-05, 01:00 AM   #2
KH.

depends on how cold it is.usually it is, a white undershirt.long sleeve.another t-shirt. fleece...not from old navy.and a hoodie.then some boxers,pajama pants, and the only pants i wear are jeans.

oh yeah you cant forget the sweater made from grandma,every stitch is made with love...what the???
Old 11-26-05, 01:08 AM   #3
Rodman_Rob

when it gets cold here, I usually have to wear a t-shirt and jeans to stay warm.
Old 11-26-05, 07:08 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

they make a fleece half mask that covers the lower half of your face..very warm indeed.

normally at work -were i am exposed to cold for 9 hours+-i normally rid my self of the unifourm clothes and wear jeans with sweats under them.a long sleeve chami shirt 2 sweat shirts 1 hooded and a jacket -depending on temps which one - i always have at least 2 spare jackets in my truck.. take it from me you don't work out side for 10 years and NOT know how to deal with it...

zooker
Old 11-26-05, 08:19 AM   #5
JB

I too have had to work outside unloading steel and fishing alot, and like to wear a few layers of sweat pants under jeans and then coveralls or bibs.
Neopreen gloves and a fleece face cover, rubber boots will keep the cold off ya better than just work boots, esp. when ice fishing..
You can get the gloves with fingers that open up, like for hunting..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 03:08 PM   #6
pig n jig

I don't know how its spelled but Balaclava is used to protect your face.People who ride 4 wheelers here use them alot.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 04:51 PM   #7
zooker

i had a good chuckle this morning watching to full grown men dressing up for that early morning boat ride. the older and bigger guy was dressed bout like me 3-4 sweats and a jacket had a bogin on his head. the other a 5'8'' 110 pound guy was wearing more gear than an eskimo including the frog eyes mask. look very storm trooper like..lol... you heard the joke a lawyer and a insurance sales man........ this was them -sorry a$$ed office workers....

zooker
Old 11-26-05, 05:22 PM   #8
pig n jig

http://www.inet-worldwide.com/Mercha...Code=Balaclava
Old 11-27-05, 12:58 PM   #9
bassnman30

In the cold, always take more than you think that you might need. If you've got it then your ok. In the event that you don't need it just don't wear it. If you go out in the cold without proper wear, then you may be in for a cold outing.
Old 11-27-05, 01:41 PM   #10
zooker

amen bassnman i have had hypothermia not once but twice. it sucks big time.. frost bite you can deal with but hypo will kill ya..

zooker
Old 11-27-05, 02:16 PM   #11
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just get one of those sock hats that covers your hole face except your mouth and eyes lol you might look like your gonna rob a store but it will get the job done.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-05, 03:45 PM   #12
Christopherkeene9

I'm with rodman on this one, pants and a t-shirt, maybe a fleece or sweatshirt but thats bout it.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-05, 03:56 PM   #13
pig n jig

For those Die hard Northern boys who want extreme fishing, buy a Mummy type sleeping bag, have the wife cut and sew arm holes in the thing so you can wear it and fish too ? P.S. You may have to leave the beer at home and resort to a higher octane beverage.JackL can probably list some for you. P N J
Old 11-27-05, 07:32 PM   #14
southernsnatcher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well im with rod too..back home it doesnt get cold..but over here in korea it gets a lil frigid...i wear the new under-armor suits..cabela's has them online..they work really well and we have face mask called gator necks that are really good for those early morn topless humvee rides..
southernsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-05, 07:35 PM   #15
zooker

nothing like 151 rum to thaw your gizzard..

no dude alchol will hurt you in very cold weather.

zooker
Old 11-27-05, 07:40 PM   #16
va_basser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

gotta wear a hat,man..I found I can stay warmer with a hat and less clothing than with layers upon layers and no hat.LIke Zooker I work in a place thats hotter than hell in summer and the total opposite in winter.You dont work in this stuff and not learn tricks.A good set of glomitts some in handy also,just get the ones with the covered thumb!
Old 11-27-05, 11:56 PM   #17
WTL

The Man in Korea should know a thing about the cold...I've been wanting to get some of that underarmour, but since I'm broke today I settle for cheap sweats under regular pants with a button down flannel shirt and my Scottish full length duster coat. Also always gotta wear a hat.
Old 11-28-05, 05:55 AM   #18
KenDammit

I would opt for a half-face mask that covers the ears, nose, and mouth. Wearing a hat is also a good idea because heat will escape your body from any exposed area and wearing a hat will keep more heat in.

A person can lose up to 30% of their body heat through the head and neck area because there is a large % of blood there at any given time(the brain). The hands and feet are next, being the outtermost extremeties of your body and furthest away from your core..so good gloves and socks are important, too.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 08:21 AM   #19
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

a good pair of wool socks and well insulated boots will keep the dogs warm all day.if you put too many socks on your feet can't breathe and they sweat then they get cold and you're done for.and wear a hat.if you keep the head and feet warm the rest will be ok.as long as you don't have to P.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 09:09 AM   #20
JB

My biggest problem is wearing too much when ya go ice fishing, it makes it harder to walk across the field to get to the pond, plus the crotch of the pants or raincoat almost always split out when ya take big steps, or in the boat when you go from one deck to another.
Rubber boots with a board on the ice is another ice fishing trick, ya keep you boots on the board instead of the ice.
You almost always use wax worms and a ice jig up here for the ice fishing, always taking off your gloves to mess around with that 2lb test line, spooning out ice chips etc.
The best days ice fishing is sitting on at least 4 or more inches of ice, some snow on the ice, and the air temp about 30 with no wind.
Some like it sunny , some like it cloudy...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 07:21 PM   #21
zooker

heres a trick to staying warmer in winter a trick southern knows. after a shower wiping down with a wool towel keeps you dryer. you are less prone to sweat if you wear cotton/poly under gear -under armor,sweats, cotton socks- i always double up my socks in cold temps cotton inside a wool sock work the best. i have never been in the military but i know the best cold weather foot wear is a "mickey mouse" boot a bit klunky. but i used to ice fish tourny's that lasted 3 days non stop. these boots have an air bladder that surrounds the foot this air space doubles the already heavy insulation. i have not been able to remove the boot due to ice on the laces but my feet NEVER got cold..
i think you can get a pair for like $30 or so..

zooker
Old 11-28-05, 10:57 PM   #22
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Long sleeved shirt, sweater, jacket. Sweatpants, jeans, and if its real cold ill wear my hunting coveralls. Some kind of warm hat on my head. Wool socks and insulated boots.
Old 11-29-05, 12:57 PM   #23
bassnman30

Zook, I understand what you mean. That hypothermia can be a bad deal.
I know a guy who fought in WW2 and got frost bite on his feet. Can't feel a thing these days.
Old 11-29-05, 07:27 PM   #24
zooker

pop got his in wwII.
he can't feel certain parts of his feet and his left thumb.. i got it on both lil toes can't feel myself touching them..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.