Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-05, 09:21 AM   #1
B.D. jR
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Well, Im gonna do it, but I need help!!!

Hey everyone, hope you all had a great thanksgiving!! Heres the question and then my logic behind the question. I have worked the budget and have about $15,000 to buy a bass boat this winter. I figured I could get a better deal on a boat during the winter because of the obvious lack of demand. I have looked at a lot of used boats and have only 3 specs that I would like. Dual console, at least a 200hp engine, and all fiberglass. What would you buy?? The best boat for the money?? Example: If you look at cars you can buy a Lexus for $65,000 or you could by a Honda Accord for $30,000. The Honda offers all the same luxury but at half the price, because of the name, of course. This is what I am looking for in a boat. Maybe a off name boat but at a decent prce. Any guesses what I should look for. Or maybe you could suggest a website that I could visit. Thanks, Chad....Jacksonville, Florida
B.D. jR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 11:20 AM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

when you find the boat you want.you will know it.just don't be in a rush to buy a boat.i went checking around different marinas in my area when i stumbled onto my gambler.as soon as i saw it i knew it was the boat for me.i did check it out thoroughly before i bought.
just look around.a boat is a very personal choice.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 12:38 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob

have you considerd a flats boat? stand over the engine allows you to spot beds easier and the boat can get into shallower water than what a bass boat would, it won't meet your dual console requirement though. good luck finding one, hope to be getting a boat sometime within a year.
Old 12-05-05, 02:09 PM   #4
Unregistered

Demand a test ride in rough water before you buy. Be sure and check bilge and livewell pumps that they work as well as all lights, and most importantly check under the hull and the transom thoroughly to make sure there are no "real" stress cracks in them and vissually inspect the transom for dry rot on the inside. If it is completely glassed in, give the engine a couple of heaves upwards from behind gripping the lower unit (like your tilting a small engine up) and watch the transom for any "play" or give in it. If you see it wiggle much, if at all, then steer clear of that boat. Also test it on a cold morning so you can judge what your getting in an engine better. I don't know much about how to tell the condition of the engine other than listening to it and how it starts in the cold.
Old 12-05-05, 03:15 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with Tom-I saw my Nitro and knew it was the one for me-you will know it when you see it.
Old 12-05-05, 03:28 PM   #6
JB

I'd check on how much power the trolling motor has, along with all the ideas from the forum gang. Batteries, pumps , lights , cracks, etc.
You can usually tell the boats that have been used alot for fishing and those that have sat a long time, I'd steer away from one that has been sitting. Theres lots of anglers that jump into buying a boat and then after a year or so they just sit.
Another idea is if you 're looking for a used boat, sometimes guys that have fished their way into a divorce are forced to sell thier boat for a quick buck, ya may pick up one that way and save some cash.
I'd also look at getting a twin axle trailor instead of a single axle.
Plus, like the gambler owner probably already knows, look at how much flipping deck is up front, many boats have dif size areas for the front deck, the bigger the better IMO.
Look at how many electronics are on it, is there one by the trolling motor and also the drivers dash?... How much rod locker room is there?
Does the deck have rod tie downs?
When looking at all the extras, you'll soon discover the hardcore anglers boats vs joe-sunday on the lake's boat...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 05:45 PM   #7
pig n jig

Everyone is different.I have to agree, you will know once you see it. When I see a Champion 191 I drool and speak unintelligible words.I found the boat for me , but can't seem to find the funds for it. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 05:45 PM   #8
WTL

I'd recommend going for a used boat. The newer you get, the less marginal value you get. Don't stretch yourself too thin for a nice boat, its not worth being in debt. So take your time and look for a deal that you can personally afford. Do be aware of the thousands and thousands of fishermen out there who destroyed their marriages and their finacial lives because they had to have a $45,000 bass boat.
Old 12-06-05, 01:28 AM   #9
Rack98
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Rack98

hey go down to the basspro shop down by orlando and check it out there. i was just at the one up in tennesee and they had some bass boats brand new for about 14,000 with electronics.. i am not sure what the price would be in orlando.. i haven't been to that one yet but it is worth taking a trip to find out it is off of I-4 on iternational.. or go to basspro and find the nearest one
Rack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 01:36 AM   #10
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey rack98, How did you like those crowds at the BPS at the 407 exit/ I was there Teusday and Friday, Teusday night it was a total mad house. They had the police directing traffic and were bringing folks in by shuttle bus from the baseball stadium on the other side of the highway.Friday was not nearly as crowded but was still crazy. I think it will be a good store once the crowds thin a little.
Were you here at Gatlinburg or fishing Douglas or Cherokee? Fish2win
Old 12-08-05, 10:54 PM   #11
Rack98
BassFishin.Com Member

i live in florida i was visiting my brother in chattanooga.. and we had a cabin up in tellico plains.. we had like 8 ppl with us and drove to pbs in nashville on black friday.. it was insane there.. we drove 3 hours to go to the pbs there for like a half hour.. then went to pick up a buddies bass boat that he just bought
Old 12-08-05, 11:04 PM   #12
Rack98
BassFishin.Com Member

i thnk i need to watch pbs to get bps right.. lol where are bert and ernie when you need them..lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.