Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-18-13, 09:48 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Google Earth

Have you used it? Do you like it? I'm talking the free version. Is it easy to use? Any troubles with downloading the software? I'm thinking bout trying it out to get close up areal views of bodies of water I want to fish.
Old 09-18-13, 09:54 PM   #2
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use it frequently. Some times the cloud cover blurs out the pictures, but overall I enjoy using it. I will print a picture or zoom in and print then write stuff down on it when prefishing. Have actually found a few unmarked canals/ditches that flow into a body of water that I never knew existed. Worked out well on tourney day when it rained cats and dogs all night long before the blast off. When my OCD kicks in, I have actually counted docks and measured distance to see where the largest concentration was on a lake.
Old 09-18-13, 10:35 PM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
I use it frequently. Some times the cloud cover blurs out the pictures, but overall I enjoy using it. I will print a picture or zoom in and print then write stuff down on it when prefishing. Have actually found a few unmarked canals/ditches that flow into a body of water that I never knew existed. Worked out well on tourney day when it rained cats and dogs all night long before the blast off. When my OCD kicks in, I have actually counted docks and measured distance to see where the largest concentration was on a lake.
Do the images show the surface vegetation on the water? Also, I like the idea of printing out the image to take with you. Making notes on that to have for later is a cool idea.
Old 09-18-13, 11:54 PM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It is good but not always real up to date. Images may be several years old. I like to look at areas I am familiar with to see a bigger picture.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 06:37 AM   #5
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith it is easy to use but there is a lot more to it than first meets the eye. Spend some time playing with all the tools/layers and you'll see it's more than just a map. At the top left you'll see a clock looking icon, click that and a "time slider" will appear that will show you past images and date taken etc etc etc.

Another excellent source of information are County "GIS" maps. They will show you all kinds of valuable stuff like property lines and owners names/addresses etc, plus many different layers that will show the topography (of surrounding land-not the water) and links to USDA map data that has lots of good info like creek flows/levels (even little creeks you could jump over) most of the water flow data is in real time (important to farmers but good for planning a fishing trip as well)
Old 09-20-13, 02:05 AM   #6
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have used Google Earth in the past, but find it much easier to use Google Maps or Bing Maps. If one of those sites has poor quality pictures, or out of season pictures, I check the other. (Plus easy to get on a smart phone while on the water)
Old 09-21-13, 12:32 AM   #7
Rebbasser

Keith, if you haven't done so check out the Geospacial Advantage that Kevin has posted on this site. You can also get it at Itunes I think. Excellent resource on using Google Earth. I've watched it a couple of times and need to do so again.
Old 09-22-13, 12:22 AM   #8
Bassboss

I just use google maps. It's the same satellite imagery (as far as I'm aware) minus a few features.
Old 09-22-13, 07:56 AM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Keith, if you haven't done so check out the Geospacial Advantage that Kevin has posted on this site. You can also get it at Itunes I think. Excellent resource on using Google Earth. I've watched it a couple of times and need to do so again.
I'm going to check into that as well. I was playing around with Bing Maps and that worked pretty well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.