Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-06, 01:20 PM   #1
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

Default flippin/pitchin practice techniques

how do all of you guys/gals practice pitchin and flippin? thx!
Old 04-01-06, 02:24 PM   #2
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Easy......

Get a bucket. Go out side and put 7-10 ft in front of you. Practice till you feel confident at that distance. Move the bucket further cast till confident. Repeat untill you have a good distance down pat. Do it till you cant do it anymore. I used have my neighbors stare at me when I would do it at my old apt complex. I would do it for hours. Now when you get good enough switch out that bucket for a smaller target. I use a thimble now....J/K. I do use a small bowl now. They say if you can make it into a teacup with water in it and not make a splash thats when you know your good!!!!

Hope it helps....
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 02:35 PM   #3
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

lol haha thx im hopin to get real good at it
Old 04-01-06, 03:36 PM   #4
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

After you get good, increase the level of difficulty. Pitch/flip around objects. Any object in the yard will work. I have used the shrubs in front of the house (the wife loves that one!), trees, and I like to use my kids swingset/playground stuff. I don't know about where you fish, but I tend to encounter alot of brush and trees to fish in and around. Practicing in a bucket is a great way to start and get good. Then practicing around objects will sharpen your skills. Have fun with it!!!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 06:55 PM   #5
ChuckE
BassFishin.Com Member

When you are really getting good, then start reducing the weight of what you are pitching/flipping, and start over again.

Chuck
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 08:27 PM   #6
HulaPopr
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Take a small plastic bowl, stand on some steps and just pitch.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 08:31 PM   #7
pig n jig

While on your lunch break, use the bosses coffee cup to flip jigs in. Make sure you use Carolina lunkersauce on the jig.That will give the boss a reason to be a jerk. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 09:36 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

1st I go to the lake, 2nd I start ptiching and flipping. Nothing you can do at home will imitate what you have to do on the water, waves, tree limbs, weeds, snakes, etc... The best place to practice IMO is on the water. As you get better, your results will follow. Don't misunderstand this to mean that prac`ticing at home, when the water is frozen or you can't get out doesn't help your eye hand coordination, or the feel for it. But if you want to truly get better, then go face the wind, rain, and waves.

Lizards
Old 04-02-06, 05:28 AM   #9
islandbass

I practice in my cul de sac any free time I have day or night, rain of shine. I know that my neighbors must tyhink I am nuts but I don't care.

Instead of putting a bowl or plate, I use various sized man holes as targets. I also practice casting various ways to special targets like a 1 ft space between the legs of a stool.

Practice Modes:
1) Yeah so I can hit it with a side arm cast or roll cast, but can I hit that same target with a reverse side arm shot (like a back hand shot in tennis)? You just might face a situation where something might block you from making your regular cast. Now that's one good challenge worthy of practicing.

2) Or, I know I can cast with my dominant arm, but can I cast with my left? Heck, I wouldn't want to let a broken right arm stop me from fishing!

3) Pitching and flipping from an elevated height is good because it simulates when you're above the water in a boat. But, what if you didn't have a boat as in my case? My fishing situation is from the shore bank if I need to pitch or flip, I have to do so at ground level. Will I still be able to pitch or flip? Being at ground level removes the benefit of the added height and as a result, your bait might hit the water or ground before you complete the motions. The answer is yes with practice.

It's a lot of fun and don't worry if you receive weird stares. Your reward will be that you will be honing your skills. Good luck!
Old 04-02-06, 08:36 AM   #10
pig n jig

set up a saw horse or card table out in the yard with a target beyond it, so you have to pitch under the sawhorse or card table to hit your target.It will help you when the bass are pulled in under cover for shade.Out on the water,often I use the actual dock I am fishing to get my jig back under it on the docks that sit tighter to the water. Get up close and swing the jig in a rapid low pendulum motion to the opening under the dock.As the braided line will hit the bottom cross section of the dock,the jig will arch up under the dock,at this point, release the your thumb off from the line spool and the pendulum motion will carry the jig back under the dock.Its quieter and easier than trying to skip a jig in a narrow opening without any unwanted noise.It takes very easy once you learn when to release the spool in motion.I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 01:51 PM   #11
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

thx everyone! i appreciate yalls advice!
Old 04-04-06, 06:29 PM   #12
Bassgrl81

Send a message via AIM to Bassgrl81 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassgrl81

As crazy as this sounds, but for those who are short...I stand on a milk crate when I practice it just makes me feel taller hehe and I practice better.

Trista
Old 04-04-06, 06:31 PM   #13
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thats for sure bassgrl,
flipping off a boat that is several feet off the water level is much easier than flipping flat footed on the bank. Its easier to get a quieter entry into the water too.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 06:39 PM   #14
bassguy2004

I was trying out my new flippin stick the other day. I went next door to the hair salon that has a inoperable fountain an stood on their concrete deck and pitched to the fountain which was about 20 feet away. It was nice, about boat height, and pitching distance.
Old 04-04-06, 08:24 PM   #15
bass kicker

i practice while watchin tv in my liven room
Old 04-04-06, 08:55 PM   #16
bassinbob

I started using a baitcaster last year and the neighbors thought I was crazy when i practiced out in the street. Now they think I really lost it when I stand up on the picnic table and cast down the fence line or to the trees and bushes. Funny thing is the picnic table is my neighbors and it is in his yard. I liked everyones suggestions. But the fun thing is doing it on the water.

Bob
Old 04-06-06, 06:19 PM   #17
wareagle_fb5308
BassFishin.Com Member

how do yall know what color jig to use...water color has alot to do with it dont it?
Old 04-06-06, 07:54 PM   #18
bass kicker

one year i set up targets all around our boat while it was parked in town can amagin how many people looked at me funny
Old 04-08-06, 02:12 PM   #19
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
i practice while watchin tv in my liven room
Thats how Denny Brauer got "it" down. he said he busted up some of his wife's stuff along the way, but hey he's the "man" when it comes to that technique.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 03:56 PM   #20
bassguy2004

Liz is right about being on the water. So I took it to heart. I pulled my flippin' stick out today and had my wife spray me with the hose so it would be like it was raining while I practiced. Just Kidding. Time on the water is the best way to learn.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.