Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-04-06, 10:49 AM   #1
bigbassdan16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbassdan16 Send a message via Yahoo to bigbassdan16
Angry hey guys i need to know y i got skunk yesterday

hey i was fishing in a boat and my brother and my best friend were catching fish they both caught 6 each and i didnt catch nothing. i was using the same lure and same method as them. why didnt i catch anything. i gotten very pissed off cause they caught fish and i didnt. i had a fish go after my bass assassin but he went and bite it but i missed him. can some one tell me why i got skunk. i wanted to catch fish all day and it was pissing me off so if someone can tell me what i should've done to catch them that would help. im going to the same lake this sunday and it has wood struture and bluffs trees and the water and theres alot of drop offs so if any one has a suggertion let me know i need your guys help thanks

your buddy dan
bigbassdan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 11:20 AM   #2
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Could have been many things. First, check your line. The fish may be seeing your line and that greatly affects fish bite. Also, it may just be you are fishing your bait to slow or to fast. I remember the same thing happening to me with a tube. My friend was waking bass and I wasn't. Once I learned to slow down I started waking tons of bass.
Old 04-04-06, 11:27 AM   #3
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Check the way the lure was rigged. If t-rig, was the worm straight or not. What about the hook. Was it extremely sharp? When I start missing fish, the hook(s) is the first thing I check. Good luck!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 11:28 AM   #4
bassguy2004

Don't be pissed. I have done the exact same thing in my club tourneys. Especially during a team tourney it really stinks. I'm fishing the same area, a break, my partner is fishing the same spot with a carolina rig, brass weight, glass bead, brass clicker, and a baby brushog in junebug. I'm fishing a jig, junebug color, brushog trailer. Nada, I make up a carolina rig exactly the same as my partner. Nada, nothing. You tell me. So don't be pissed it happens to everyone.
Old 04-04-06, 02:01 PM   #5
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

maybe you're just a lousy basser........hang around here long enough... so i can bust you're chops some more.....errrrr.... and you will find out why..just messin with ya.
could be any of a zillion reasons for not catching fish.that's something for you to think about.we can't only give suggestions.and you can't choose the reason you like best.
Old 04-04-06, 02:18 PM   #6
BassAddict

Could have been a number of things. I know my brother kicked my butt one time and we were using the same worm. The difference was he had an 1/8 oz weight and I was using a 1/4 oz. The fished liked the slower fall of his worm. Something that simple can make a difference.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 03:50 PM   #7
rrw4258

maybe he was in the back of the boat and they were catching them before you were?

Ryan
Old 04-04-06, 04:05 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Often times its subtle differences in the technique or location or speed.
For instance, both anglers are using the same lure, same location, within feet of another, why does one get a bass and the other doesn't? Sometimes its a location issue, I see many new anglers that wont throw in to timber, brush, rocks etc, they throw near it.
Other times I see guys letting it sit for a second, and then work it way to fast back to the shore/boat.
The other variable is that you have to be a line watcher, and be able to feel the thump or twitch of the bass.
Over the years I have fished with guys that had that instinct well tuned from the get go and caught fish all the time, and it took me a long time to get them all down.
I'd recommend studying your line much more than you have, and don't be afraid to throw in some place that looks like you might
get hung up, usually the bass find "trashy" areas that are very hard to get to.
And again, remember that a movement of just 6-12 inches at one time with your rod tip, equals your bait moving several feet. So, if you want to stay in a zone that looks bassy, move the rod tip just slightly, and have patience.
Most fish if they are up shallow will be like 3 feet of water or even less,
however its been my experience that most quality fish are in the 5-7 ft depth most of the time.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:25 PM   #9
abugarcia6

yeah i got skunked yesterday n one of my ponds...i tried everything from topwater to jigs
Old 04-04-06, 05:11 PM   #10
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

It happens now and then. I don't get skunked to often, but then there are those days when nothing seems to work and my moral drops to a point where I mentally feel beat. I know the fish are there, but they just don't seem to wanna hit anything I throw at them. So goes it sometimes. The only thing you can do, is stay optomistic and make subtle changes in your presentation and offerings, vary your retrieve speed, and try to move to other locations if possible.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 09:54 PM   #11
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lets see, location, location, location. Presentation, presentation, presentation. Lot's of different things included in those words, but you better believe there was one of those you were missing that they weren't.

Lizards
Old 04-05-06, 07:27 AM   #12
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

There is already a wealth of information on this thread....so kindly take your time and review it all.

One thing that happens when you get behind in the not so important after all fish count....is that you try harder and in doing so you may be rushing past the small things in presentation the bass really tune in on.....retrieving too fast, working the lure too much, jerking the lure too quickly or too hard, and in general rushing too much in order to try another cast.

1. If you use weight, use as LITTLE as possible. Not only the slow fall is important to keep the bass's attention, it's also good to give a little glide to the bait in a natural manner at the top of a lift....if this is weighted too much, it just doesn't happen.

2. Slow Down....take a deep breath for real and s l o w d o w n...... Chances are, if you've been trying to catch up, slowing down is probably one of the keys.

3. Try different casts. Try your normal cast, then try a sidearm skipping cast up to the cover/structure......sometimes casting up on the bank and dragging it in works well, sometimes a high arc cast that hits the water like a bomb.....sometimes pitching or flipping quietly works better.

4. If in current, more bass will be facing upstream so cast upstream.

5. Be sure to watch the direction of the sun in order to cast shadows at the edges of weeds, logs, etc.

This could go on and on, but in conclusion, take notes on this thread....make a folder for your desktop and put the ideas presented in this thread and others.....making sure to re-read your notes from time to time. So many times we read a post and pass over the real information that's in it. We think we already know it and don't learn from it.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 07:48 AM   #13
FlyRod

Default ...i got skunk...

How do you cook those things

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 11:58 PM   #14
flfireman

The big thing, dont get pissed off. It will show in everything you do. Bassin is to relax and have fun. The harder and harder you try the more you transfer that negative, pent up anger into your fishin. You may not see it, but you get PO'd and you jerk a little harder, try to set the hook harder and get jumpier at every little tap. Relax, have fun. It's fishing not catching.
Old 04-06-06, 10:32 AM   #15
bigbassdan16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbassdan16 Send a message via Yahoo to bigbassdan16
Default re: hey i got skunk yesterday

hey that was my first time i ever got skunk like that. but i think it was cuz i had a heavier jig or i was going to fast. but i slowed it down a little. but im going this sunday so let me know what i should use to kick there but we have tournaments so im in last place but i have the biggest lunker though so i cant wait til sunday we r going around 730 or 830 i dont know but theres alot of timber shallow spots and drop offs and sandy banks bluffs. what do u think i should use i need ur guys opinion i know jigs work and crankbaits what do u think i should use and if u can send me how to hook them up and lure i should but thanks for ur guys help

but yesterday i caught a 5 bass on a jig and i caught 4.7 lbs 1.5 lbs, 3.2 lbs, .5 lbs and i caught a little one. but they all bit it on a jig black and blue with a crawdad trailer black and blue.

bassintom ur funny guy lol

ur buddy dan
bigbassdan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 08:12 PM   #16
mike90
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike90

are you going for numbers? set one rod up with a senko and another with a spinnerbait and go kick some a$$

if your going for size use bigger baits and keep using those jigs
mike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 08:17 PM   #17
bass kicker

maybe you should have triied the same thing they were using in multiple colours and sizes
Old 04-07-06, 05:46 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

First off they where probably doing something a little differeant or there was a differance in there equipment from yours. Second man dont get pissed because you didnt catch anything. Look at it this way. I been chasing bass for over 25years now and EVERY time and I do mean EVERY time I go out I learn something new. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching. If I ever stop learning I'll be dead. Try and put the puzzle together and figure them out. Thats the neat thing about bass fishing.....Its a big puzzle and you have the pieces of the puzzle just have to put it together to get the whiole picture.
Old 04-07-06, 11:47 AM   #19
bassnman30

Timing,timing and more timing. We once fished an area where others had just fished it, (with the same type bait). They had just passed us and we went on to catch a bass in excess of 5lbs. They could see the fish due to the fact that we were only thirty yards apart.
Your timing may have something to do with your lack of success. Bass change there timing very quickly. Sometimes in a matter of seconds.
Old 04-07-06, 03:32 PM   #20
flamez

your reels could also have different line retrieval ratios
Old 04-07-06, 04:33 PM   #21
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

Maybe you werent holding your mouth right
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.