Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-03-14, 03:40 PM   #1
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fliping and Pitching

Well I have went and got set up for pitching and fliping useing a basspro extrem 7'6" rod with a Diawa bait casting reel with 40 pound spider wire on it. The problem is that I can not get any distance getting 10-to15 feet. This is the first I have tride this. have truble with backlash but i think that is from doing this style for the first time I have other bait casters that I use. Looking for some help on how to and line distance.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 07:09 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I pitch with my spool tension loose and my brakes up high. This allows the spool to spin freely but helps keep it from over spinning. Get a heavy casting plug/jig, at least 1/2oz and start practicing. Keep your thumb close to the spool so you can stop it quickly. Practice, practice
Old 08-03-14, 07:12 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Two different casts, pitching and flipping.
Flipping ... no spool involved. You have the amount of line you want already out. With one hand, you pull that line to the side or back as you bring the lure towards you and out of the water. With the action of the "backcast" complete, you "flip" the lure back to the front and feed the line back out. This method allows for very gently entry into the water. But you are on top of your target.
Pitching ... with 3 to 4 feet of line out, and the lure in your hand, you basically underhand cast the lure. It's a very cool cast if done correctly. The lure never gets more than a foot or so off the water with a fairly straight trajectory to the target. Again, just as the lure reaches the target, you kill the travel of the lure and drop it gently into the water.

Pitching is much harder to learn, as the spool will be spinning off line. It is very important to know how to properly set the brake and the tension knob to allow the cast to play out correctly. Mostly, though, it's practice. If you have a yard, it's perfect, just walk around pitching to different targets from all distances and angles.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 08:34 PM   #4
petebigbass
BassFishin.Com Member

what the other guys said is good. also try 65# braid. the extra diameter will help, too good luck.
petebigbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.