Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-20-14, 10:44 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default How to Properly Adjust a Baitcasting Reel

Every year, on fishing forums all around the internet, newbies who have just bought their first baitcasting reel, or baitcaster, are now wondering how to adjust it. Well don't worry, I'm here to help.

Unfortunately, I learned from some guy at the reel counter of a big box fishing store that probably didn't really know what he was doing. This made learning the casting reel harder than should have been for me.

I don't want you to have to go through the same, so check out this article at the BassChat bass fishing forum to learn to set up your casting reel properly.

How to: Properly Adjust a Baitcasting Reel

It will go through what all the knobs are on your casting reel, a simple explanation of the different types of brakes on a baitcasting reel, and how to set all this stuff so you can learn to cast without dealing with major backlashes while you train your thumb to feather the spool.

*To current BF.com members, please refrain from posting on this thread. Since we are trying to grow BassChat, it would be great if you put any comments or questions you have on the active thread there, thanks!
Old 06-20-14, 10:43 PM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I went and read the post on adjusting a baitcaster.
Sorry, since I am not a member on the other sight, this is the only place I can respond.
The article is good, but a bit complicated.
Adjust the spool tension so the lure falls and the spool stops as soon as it hits the ground.
Set the brake in the middle of it's range. If it casts without backlashing, it's "firm" enough. If it "seems" to drag to a stop, it's too firm. When you get a casts that seems sufficiently far, pull out 5 or 6 feet of line and put a piece of tape on the spool.
Now, if it back lashes, it can only go as deep as the tape. If a cast is made longer than the tape, or if a fish peels off line, the tape will not hinder the line.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 12:16 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here is another one. This is the best one I have found for simple, straight forward adjustments:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

This is the best one I have found.
Old 08-05-14, 07:38 AM   #4
Thornback

Practice, practice, practice, and once your thumb "learns" the spool you can back off the brakes to get a longer cast. Never try too hard to get distance, smoothness and timing will get you distance. Keep a pick handy and you can quickly pick out all backlashes. Never cast into the wind unless you have a brick on the end of your line
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 08:06 AM   #5
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Reb's site is the site I send anglers to.

Thorn is right. Doesn't matter how well you adjust it, if you snap cast it like a spinning reel cast you will be prone to backlashing.

Heavier lures are best if your just starting.
And don't forget about the resources right here on THIS site.
One of my favorites,

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...ster-backlash/

and another good one,

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...tcaster-brake/

Happy casting anglers!
Old 08-15-14, 12:10 PM   #6
Thornback

And remember, don't be embarrassed by a backlash. It's Murphy's Law. But with a pick (I use a dental pick) you can clear 99.9% of all backlashes in about 30 seconds.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 11:34 PM   #7
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornback View Post
once your thumb "learns" the spool you can back off the brakes to get a longer cast.

How do you get a longer cast with your thumb laying on the spool...

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 12:55 AM   #8
mikechell

That's just the point, Oko ... if you know how to control the spool with your thumb, you can dial the "brake" down and let the spool freewheel more.
You can tune your tension and brake to reduce backlashes, but it steals distance.
Old 08-29-14, 08:24 AM   #9
OkobojiEagle

A well designed brake system is more consistent than a thumb... of course that's just my opinion. The emphasis of the previous sentence is "well designed" and "consistent".

oe
Old 08-29-14, 12:48 PM   #10
mikechell

Not to be argumentative ... but consistent isn't what I experience in casting. One cast is 20 feet away, the next is to a target 40 feet away. It's difficult to make both targets without adjusting the brake. If your thumb is the brake, you can easily and intuitively make the adjustments for each cast.
Old 08-29-14, 11:38 PM   #11
OkobojiEagle

Go ahead, be argumentative... sometimes you just have to "rough house" a little. I'm referring to controlling professional over-runs with the reel brakes, not stopping the spool when your bait reaches its target. 20' - 30' is usually a pitch, soft and gentle... casting is launching that baby down the rocky flat!

oe

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.