Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-20-16, 08:58 AM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Things that make you wonder..

Tuesday morning I got up really early and launched my Mako on Mattawomen creek. The idea was to inspect and repair the trailer as I have a long tow this weekend. Also make sure things work on Mako. So while I am doing this perhaps I could get a few hours of fishing in if I start at dawn. Arrived at the ramp at dawn and all the boat parking was full except one..All Delaware tags. Parking lot was wet but no sign of the boats at the ramp. Walked back down to my tied up boat and was almost run over by a wild turkey. It happens right.
Launch and explore some new areas. Looks right for a spinnerbait, so for my first cast I run the bait over some submerged grass beds and bingo. This fish turns out to be a really good fight and after two good runs I see this is a big bass. Thinking catfish at first. Land him and photo him.

I fix my bait after it was bent into a pretzel and check it out and it runs right. For the next two and half hours I get zip... nada... and only a sniff on a popper. Fish are busting bait all around me but not hitting my lures.

I think the first cast should be way far away from possible fish catch next trip.. just to insure that never happens again..

Capt Mike
Old 07-20-16, 10:51 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Has not been a great year for me. But I wouldn't mind one like that every trip.
Old 07-20-16, 11:42 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't know how true this is, because it's become a bit of a legend in my own mind ...

But it seems to me, that if I catch a good fish in my first ten minutes of fishing, I might as well pack it up and go home, because the rest of the day will suck.
If I don't catch my first fish until after 30 minutes or so of fishing, the rest of the day will be very good and lots of fish caught.
If the first fish is between 10 and 30 minutes after starting, then the rest of the day will result is fewer fish, but they'll be better sizes.

Again, that's how my mind sees the days past. I never rationalize that when I am on the water. I catch a fish right off the bat, I never actually pack it in ... I stupidly continue fishing ... and at the end of the day I say to myself, "Yep, I shoulda quit as soon as I caught that first one!"
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 08:02 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I don't know how true this is, because it's become a bit of a legend in my own mind ...

But it seems to me, that if I catch a good fish in my first ten minutes of fishing, I might as well pack it up and go home, because the rest of the day will suck.
If I don't catch my first fish until after 30 minutes or so of fishing, the rest of the day will be very good and lots of fish caught.
If the first fish is between 10 and 30 minutes after starting, then the rest of the day will result is fewer fish, but they'll be better sizes.

Again, that's how my mind sees the days past. I never rationalize that when I am on the water. I catch a fish right off the bat, I never actually pack it in ... I stupidly continue fishing ... and at the end of the day I say to myself, "Yep, I shoulda quit as soon as I caught that first one!"
I agree 100% It always seems to work out that way with me as well. If I catch a few within the first 30 minutes I know it's going to die after early morning.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.